Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Front end problem help

775 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Eford00 
#1 ·
I have a wierd problem with my truck, it has just started doing this. When driving down the highway, if you hit a bump, the truck will start vibrating really badly, (like if you hit one of the bump strips on the side of the highway), and when it does this, I can click it into 4x4 high, and it immediately goes away. Does anyone have any clue what this could be? I thought it was my hubs at first, but I switched the ones from our excursion, and the same thing happens. It only does it when you hit a bump? Any ideas?

#3 ·
Well, I replaced a bunch of things when I went in. The needle bearing was out that the driveshaft spins on, so I replaced that, both ball joints, and all the seals. Wasn't really that big of a deal.

What I think the vibration was, that the bearing was worn out enough that it let the universal/driveshaft to hang down and hit the threaded part of the balljoint. I have no idea why it was doing this though. But it hasnt done it since.

I would suggest to take the 4x4 hub off and see if the driveshaft has any play. If so, then you need to replace the bearing. And while you are there I would go ahead and do the ball joints as well. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.