Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Mechanical 6.0?

18K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  lubeowner 
#1 ·
Anyone have any ideas or information on when we might be able to see a mechanical 6.0? I would love to be a "Guinea Pig" on this.....:D

#8 ·
I heard rumors of a P-pumped 6.0 that came out of southern NY shop. Never saw it myself though.

#9 ·
Would love to be the guinea pig on the setup....i think that a "p-pumped" 6.0 with twin turbo's would be absolutely "Lights Out"......if it would hold together.....just wondering if anyone on here had heard and rumblings on someone designing a timing cover and testing one....

#10 ·
I have one in my basement that runs with a p-pump. How well it runs it open for debate. Doesn't have an intake built yet and just open manifolds. I am running short on money to finish it right now. You supply the "capital" and the donor truck, a manual, and you could be driving the guinea pig in about 1 month. That is if the injectors I built work the same in the engine as they did on the test bench. If they don't well that is part of being the guinea pig. Also your truck will probably have to have a 3" body lift put on it.

#14 ·
I just measured. From the flat surface between the oil cooler and the HPOP cover to the top of the fuel lines on the p-pump is 15". I measure my stock truck and only get about 12" to the top and the top of the turbo. The p-pump is driven off the back of the motor and sits so the the #1 plunger is even with the back of the head. So you would have to cut into the cowl. It does look like the plastic cover over the wiper blade motor area would clear. Just lose some metal under it and most likely have to lose the wiper blades.

#15 ·
The calculators say the richer you run the engine the less lbs/min of air you need to make the same given HP. May need to add water to keep the cylinder temp in line and that should make more HP.

#20 ·
not talking PSD stuff, 1500+hp stuff.........it takes extra fuel to do that, if they cut the fuel back to burn clean.........they make less power so what he said is correct.

#25 ·
I have lost motivation. Mainly because business hasn't been that great and I don't have the spare money to finish the truck. Therefore, I find it hard to finish a motor that I won't have anything to put it in.

#27 ·
i say sell it so he can be the guinea pig. get the thing moving an running.

#29 ·
I was told by Dan Scheid that operating pressure at the nozzle on Double Overtime is approx 11,000 psi. 18,000 sounded kinda high to me, atleast in a stock application, I was thinking they worked closer to 8-10K psi

-Michael

#30 ·
you win, we just went over this in class, it is usually 10-13k opening pressure. of course it all depends on what year or injectors you have, aparently they did a few minor changes through the years, but i am still reading up on them.

#31 ·
My objective here is to have the timing cover changed, gear drive p-pump (couldn't the unit drive off the back of the motor and lay the pump in the valley above the intake?) Also at that point maybe re-route the turbo(s), instead of a sequential setup, you could light one turbo to approx. 20-25lbs. boost, then the second would kick in to continue to build boost. Maybe a supercharger would be better at that point. Dunno. I am definitely not a mechanical "guru" on this....I just usually have "big" ideas. I just think that it would make a nice rig. Maybe would be cheaper to go with higher displacement 7.3, or a Cummins for that matter.:ford:

#36 ·
On the 6.0 you have to remake the HPO cover. Then since the 6.0 has webbing in the valley of for the oil cooler, and high pressure oil pump housing, you can't mount the pump low enough to get the pump gear to match up on the top of the cam gear. You also have to run the p-pump at the same speed as the cam so you either need to have a gear made to match the pump or get a cam gear off another truck. Which runs into problems because you can't just buy the cam gear as they only come attached to the cam.

Back to your cover, you have to put an idler gear that rides on top of the cam and then the p-pump sits on that. So in this cover you have some intense design work. It took us several months and several very knowledge machinists multiple tries to get this to work. Now you also have to make the oil cooler cover and change some things in that since you will no longer have the HPOP. So you have to make two covers. You also can't forget that your p-pump is now spinning in the same rotation as the cam not opposite of it because of the idler pulley. Pump is to long to fit inside of the stock intake.

here is a picture from 9 months ago when we started this project. Just so you can get some Idea of how the gears need stacked.

#34 ·
Opening pressure and operating pressure are two different things

-Michael

#38 ·
Corret me if I am wrong on this, again, I have lots of big ideas.....Couldn't someone build a custom P-Pump, housing, ect.......I am not sure of the mechanical aspects of those pumps, but could one be built with a lower profile, possible with the nozzles coming out on a "V" pattern similar to the profile of the V8 motor itself? Maybe you were just using that pump for an example to show the gears......

#41 ·
One of the main reasons for going with a Bosch inline p-pump is the availability of big parts, like barrels, plungers, delivery valves and so forth.

#45 ·
I work for a company that has a fleet of 30+ trucks with 3208's, I think your fishing in a dry pond with that idea. Although Travis' turbo and pump guy siad he can make one flow approx 600cc, maxed out of coarse

-Michael

#46 ·
I work for a company that has a fleet of 30+ trucks with 3208's, I think your fishing in a dry pond with that idea. Although Travis' turbo and pump guy siad he can make one flow approx 600cc, maxed out of coarse

-Michael
600cc at what pressure?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.