Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New Preload (torque) Recommendations for 6.0 ARP studs

8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Mdub707 
#1 ·
All of the newest 6.0 stud kits #250-420 come with a new lubrication for install called the Ultra Torque, when using this new lube, the Preload (Torque) Recommendations for the 6.0 Powerstroke has changed, it was 245lb ft with the old supplied lube, but with the new Ultra Torque that they provide us, they have dropped the Preload to 210lb ft.

Here is a copy of the new directions

Also here is a presentation that Chris from ARP showed us a couple weeks ago. I will post up the other part where they actually used the 6.0 stud for testing later on.

See less See more
#2 ·
6.0 specific graphs

NOTE: Nothing has changed with the actual studs at all the material is still the same, if you have a new set of studs with the old directions, you can purchase the new Ultra Torque from ARP and follow the new directions if you wish. The good thing about the new suggested preload is that the stud doesn't get as close to its yield strength.

#3 ·
Sure wish I would have had some of that a few months ago. That last 30ft/lbs liked to killed me.:hehe:

#5 ·
Adam, I can't see the pictures, so I don't know if this is posted or not...

What are they rated at now?

I have seen ARP 250-4202's advertised at 190,000....200,000....and 240,000....what are they really rated at now?
Could you PM a price to me for a set as well?
Thanks

#9 ·
That's some good info. Thanks for posting Adam

#10 ·
That is very interesting. Makes me wonder if the tech messed up the stud install on my truck and actually stretched my studs out now...

#11 ·
Torque of the fastener has nothing to do with the clamp force or the "pull" on the block. A simple change in the pitch of the threads will completely change the clamping force at a said torque spec. Or the amount of stretch designed into a fastener will change the clamping load. H-11's have a lower torque but a higher clamp force on the gasket.
I gotcha, main reason we are using them is just because they don't stretch, so they should (in theory) be able to be reused quite a few times.

So what's this about I thought you only used H-11's?

#16 ·
We have only used H11's one time and that's in our ranger. Not really sure on the relevance of the question.

ARP also did an interesting presentation in why not to use H11 too but I dunno.
Hmmm, bet that's a believable presentation- why not to use their competitor's product LOL I think I'll just stick with H11s ;):D

#24 ·
So now that they have lower the torque down with the new lube, what about the torque angle method that Bean used on Turbo99's truck? Is that out the window?

#26 ·
Good point, that I dont know. So will i have to buy new studs when I do my gaskets again. Being I torqued them to 245?

#28 ·
His truck didn't last more than a couple weeks after he had those studs put in, though it wasn't a headgasket failure, something else failed and he got rid of his 6.0.

I still wouldn't do it.

FOLLOW ARP'S INSTRUCTIONS.

The studs are made to be torqued to a certain value, a percentage of their overall yield strength. That's the whole point. You go over it, and you're going to YIELD the stud... It's simple. It's a piece of Metal with set properties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.