Died and won't restart - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:28 AM
mikes6423
Ride it like you stole it
Member's Gallery

Died and won't restart

Help, 2000 7.3 I had driven about 10 miles when truck died like you turned the switch off, would not restart. After towing it home and checking a couple things,(I'm just learning about the PS) several hours it cranked and idled an hour in driveway. I replaced the cps and checked the fuel pressure, 58 psi at wot. Today after 20 miles it quit again and would not crank. No CEL, Wait to start is coming on, turns over good, 60 psi fuel. no codes. I will see in the morning if it cranks cold. Where do I go from here?
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
JerseyJim
Headwind Magnet
Member's Gallery

Re: Died and won't restart

What are you using to retreive codes? "Normal" code readers don't talk to PSD's. You need Auto Enginuity software or a Snap-on reader. The good news is you've probably eliminated fuel pressure...how about the fuel filter? How many miles on your oil? Try to give us a little more info.
Best,
Jim
Old 02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Used an Actron scanner. will have to get AE reader. Just installed new filter after it quit first time, oil has about 2500 mi on it (Rotella 15-40)
Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 PM
JerseyJim
Headwind Magnet
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes6423 View Post
Used an Actron scanner. will have to get AE reader. Just installed new filter after it quit first time, oil has about 2500 mi on it (Rotella 15-40)
I don't think the Actron works with this motor. The PSD is not fully OBD-II compliant so we are pretty limited to what we can use for codes. Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in here because without codes, I'm almost out of ideas. Two things I can think to check are the icp sensor and the ipr. Pull the plug off the icp sensor and check for oil in the plug. It should be dry; oil indicates it's leaking. If you can get it running, disconnect the icp and see what happens to the idle. It should stumble then continue running with a cel. The ipr tin nut should be tight.

Good luck!
Best,
Jim
Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Should'nt I get a cel if it had set a code? I'm just asking because I don't know. I appreciate the help. Mike
Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
JerseyJim
Headwind Magnet
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Should'nt I get a cel if it had set a code? I'm just asking because I don't know. I appreciate the help. Mike
Gosh Mike, I think so, depending on whether its a "hard" code or a "soft" code. Something in the back of my mind says that the light eventually goes out - sometimes. Hopefully someone else with a more definitive answer will chime in here soon.
Best,
Jim
Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Check all of your fuses. With a meter not just eyes. Where did you get the replacement CPS from. Ones from parts stores are famous for dying in a day.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 AM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Ok, I bought the cps at a parts store, Put the old one back in (engine was running when I took it out). No crank but on my actron scanner in view live data it is showing rpm while cranking. I checked all fuses again with meter all were good, both under dash and under hood. Took plug out of top of HPOP and it is full of oil. unpluged icp but still would'nt start. Mike
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Is my next move to remove the ipr and clean,replace orings if needed or should I go somewhere else?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
apollyon9515
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I might have just missed it or not understanding you correctly, but you said with the old(previous cps that was in truck when running) cps you got RPM's but no crank. When you had the new(parts store) cps in did you get rpms? I only ask because i didnt see you mention anything about the RPMs until you put the old one back in.

If you got no RPMs with the new parts store cps, i would try to get another cps other than your current old one and try it and see what happens.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

after it quit the first time and after cooling down cranked back up and ran an hour in the driveway I bought a parts store cps thinking that the old one (gray Ford recall replacement} might be quitting after it gets hot. With new cps I drove the truck about 20mi and it quit again and hasn't cranked up since. I put the old cps back in on the side of the road in an attempt to get the truck to crank to get it home. I haven't hooked the scanner up with new cps back in it but may try it tonight for kicks. Mike
Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

You may very well have had a bad CPS, and then your new CPS died also. Need to get one from International.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 AM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Ok I will get on from international. I've heard that the blue one is the best. Does someone know the part # I need.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 AM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

On the same problem I need someone to explain what I found tonight. After It would'nt crank by unpluging the icp I decided to check the oil pressure to the heads. To start I took the icp out and hooked the gauge in the hole the icp came out of. With the icp out and unpluged I had 1750psi cranking. Same thing for other head, plugged icp back up and right head pressure went to 3500psi and then dropped to 2500psi and stayed while cranking. I thought the cranking pressure should be about 500psi? ( I'm so confused!) although not hard to do. Mike
Old 02-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Jagsdiesel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

The truck needs a minimum of 500 psi to start and idel. Seeing 3000 is normal for a good hpop and ipr valve.

Have you done a injector buzz test. Your injector drive module might have craped out.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:12 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

I don't have an AE. Is there a way to do a buzz test without one?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Jagsdiesel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Not that I know of. Any aftermarket actual scan tool should be able to perform this function. A code reader will not do it.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 AM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

I have an actron scan tool but it won,t do much with the powerstroke.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

gonna go today and get a blue cps from international and put it in and take the idm off another truck that is running and try it. If that doesn,t work then I don't know where to go.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 AM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

I'm at a point I don't know where to go. I got a cps from international and put it in, and took an idm off of a running truck and tried it and also put my idm on the other truck my idm was good but my truck won't crank with either.So i've eliminated fuses,cps,icp ipr, hpop, fuel pressure in fuel filter stays at 60 lbs,idm is good, checked harness from idm to injectors for short,ground and resistance through injectors, new batteries. Help
Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 AM
TN_COAL_ROLLERS.00-F250
power stroke smoke
Member's Gallery

I have been down the same road has you for the past week and im stumped too . I dont know what to do next
Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 AM
haulin99sdp
<< wasted fuel >>
Member's Gallery

how many miles are the truck mike, injectors?

i would try a buzz test, compression test next.
5in straight
910's springs
chromoly push rods
arp's
diy fuel system.

a few things still to come.
R & R and ss bars in progress.

89-f150
Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Are You getting power to the PCM, and the IDM. Might want to check relays. There is also a replaceable diode in the fuse box under the hood.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Ok 1st the truck only has 140k mi on it and compression doesn't usually cause one to just shut down like turning the key off and truck had good power when it was running so I kinda assumed comp was ok. I think the pcm has power because the wait to start light works as do all dash lights,and glow plugs cycle when you turn the key on. However I don't know about idm power. Is the relay in the fuse box under the hood. I'll also check the diode. Thanks guys, Mike
Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Sorry I missed this. I don't have a scan tool that will do a buzz test. I bought the Actron cp9180 only to find out it's not a lot of good on the PS. I don't even know if it will read the codes on it. Mike
Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
res0wc18
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

i too my friend am experiencing the same exact problems. Truck died out of no where like a switch was turned off. Replaced the cps with a new one from I/H that is 187####c95, was the same one that was in the truck.

Wait to start comes on and cycles the plugs. Cranks over nice and fast but no start and no CEL on....
Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Ok 1st the truck only has 140k mi on it and compression doesn't usually cause one to just shut down like turning the key off and truck had good power when it was running so I kinda assumed comp was ok. I think the pcm has power because the wait to start light works as do all dash lights,and glow plugs cycle when you turn the key on. However I don't know about idm power. Is the relay in the fuse box under the hood. I'll also check the diode. Thanks guys, Mike
Yes under the hood. You can swap out with the heater fan relay. I had this problem, and it ended up being dirty contacts on the relay plugs. Cleaned them up with contact cleaner and some emory cloth, no problems since.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 AM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Arisley nailed it. It was a bad idm relay. I replaced the relay and the truck cranked right up!!! I appreciate all the help from everyone, I wouldn't have known what to do without it. I don't know a lot about the PS but if I can be of any help I will. I can help with boat problems though, send me a message and I'll help any way I can. Thanks again, Mike
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Glad you got it. I keep a spare relay in my glove box. There are a bunch of that same relay on the truck.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
res0wc18
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

i think i got lucky it was the #22 maxi fuse under the hood. So i pulled the biggest plug/cord of the fuel bowl which i assumed was for the heater and replaced the fuse, fired right up.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 PM
lopp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to lopp

i have the same problem driving down the road and just stalled. maxi 22 fuse was blown, so i replaced and unplugged heater. now the fuse doesnt blow. replaced cps (from autozone). have no tach movemoent with new one and with old one. truck wont start. is it supose to move? did start a few weeks ago but ran like sh*t. had to keep it around 1,200rpms. let off pedel ran rough but still ran and as soon as i shut the door stalled and wont restart. i havent been able to drive it in months.

were is this sensor that went bad located?

1996 f250 ext cab
320,000 but still ran strong (highway miles)
Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM
mikes6423
Member's Gallery

Mine wasn,t a sensor it was the relay for the idm. I don't know about the 96 but on mine it is in the fuse box under the hood near the brake master cyl. Maybe one of the guy's that know the 96 can help with where it is on your's.

Mike
2000 F350 CC srw
Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 AM
TN_COAL_ROLLERS.00-F250
power stroke smoke
Member's Gallery

lopp have you changed the ICP
Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 PM
cvdenson
Proudly Serving The USA
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Mine wasn,t a sensor it was the relay for the idm. I don't know about the 96 but on mine it is in the fuse box under the hood near the brake master cyl. Maybe one of the guy's that know the 96 can help with where it is on your's.

Mike
2000 F350 CC srw
Mike where did you get the sensor and what is the part #? Everything have described is what I'm encountering with my 2002 Excursion. I have AE and ran all the tests and came back OK. Passed injector buzz test and cylinder contribution. ICP is ~520psi at idle with 8% DC. The Excursion takes a long time to start and then idles rough and irregular. I checked and changed the pre-pump inline fuel filter which was clogged and the fuel bowl filter which needed it. At that point the EX was able to start and idle irregularly. After idling a while it is more consistent but the motor (for lack of better explanation) sounds like a cummins. It doesn't sound right.
modded 17 HPOP, CCV, 203 T, SS HPX, ITP OBA, Oilguard, Hutch/Harpoon, Ford AIS/zoodad, ITP RR, 08 Differential Cover, Autometer Pyro/Boost, 4" MKO straight-piped, DieselSite Coolant Filter Kit, DP F5 (stock, no start, high idle, 80e), TurboMaster WG, DPP Boots, Aerotank 55 gallon midship tank.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 34
04 stroker, 99strokin, aklefty, Arisley, Blow-n-Smoke, Bradbilt, crosswired2, cvdenson, dan_k, Dave70454, dblamp, Dieselgeek, fordcowboy503, fordman73, madtired1469, mojo25sxt, Myles_S, Pandemonium, powerstrokin7.3, prerun1ton, RAYZOR, refill1961, res0wc18, Robert McElwain, salprofish, skippy969, smok531, smokin habit, speeddemon31176, Temecula50, tgf, whyjay, whytry