E4OD won't shift out of first - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Other Diesel Topics > Transmission Related
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM
buckingbrutus
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to buckingbrutus
E4OD won't shift out of first

95 F350 2wd. Was driving on interstate in OD, started slipping (not sure if it was clutches or TC), also temp rose to ~220, pulled off, then it wouldn't come out of first gear. I was seeing high temps and slipping when towing, and I had another trans from a parts truck (which I know is good), so I put new clutches/seals/TC in that one 'just because', and swapped it in, but still won't come out of first.

Speedometer works, Tach works, I changed the Gear Position sensor with the one from a parts truck, and also changed the PCM from the parts truck (parts truck was a 96 f350, 2wd), still won't come out of first. I checked the wiring harness from the engine bay to the GPS and Solenoid valves, all checks out great. Fuses/relays all look good.

I also compared the two GPS units, both ohm-out the same, although I'm not sure what they *should be, they are both the same, so I can only imagine they are both good, rather than both be equally bad...I took one of them apart to see the circuitry, and also had it X-ray imaged at work to see if there was something I couldn't see, and best I can tell is that its good...unless the resistors are bad, but like I said, both units show same readings...

I'm trying to figure out what else there could be to cause this to not shift?? I haven't seen any codes, so I'm led to believe the computer (for whatever reason) is not telling it to shift

1995 F350 Dually daily driver with stage 2's,TW chip, dual stacks, and a Liftgate for all the random crap I find
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
cowboy_dan
Bigfoot is an OBS
Member's Gallery

Re: E4OD won't shift out of first

Can you tell if the solenoids are being powered on/off correctly for a 1-2 shift? AutoEnginuity can help find that.
If it's not, see if you can scrounge (or just buy) a new shift lever position sensor.

Mine was intermittently problematic, and the symptom might be different each time (random neutral, won't 1-2, won't 2-3, etc..), but a new sensor fixed it.
Weird, E4OD dropping into neutral randomly - Powerstroke Nation
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM
buckingbrutus
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I'm not opposed to buying a new one, just want to make sure it's the problem...And my gut feeling is that the solenoids are not getting the signal.

Does anyone have any specs on the shift lever position sensor? like I said I have two that are reading the same (within 5%), but the odds of them both being equally bad seem very slim. The only part I have not swapped out is the hall effect speed sensor, which still seems like it works ok (speedo works, and gets voltage when I placed it near a magnet), but a new one's only 20 bucks so what the hey...

Or is there something else I'm missing? Also, there's a shift kit in this trans, and I know it tweaks the line pressure, but not sure if that would affect the PCM's desire to shift. I remember reading somewhere about a wire harness jumper that altered the signals, but I want to say that was in lieu of a spring change in the pump
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 PM
buckingbrutus
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

So last night I cleaned up the connectors in the engine bay and at the tranny, also replaced the speed sensor b/c there was moisture on the old one, and it's the only part I haven't changed out. In Drive, same crap, but in the 2 position it worked fine shifting into 2nd gear.

Does anyone have a spec sheet on the Gear Position Sensor? Or does anybody wanna measure the Ohmmies for me, on a known-good unit? Across the 2 inner pins, on the outer (driver's) side, I was getting around:
  • 85 Ohms in 1
  • 200 Ohms in 2
  • 400 Ohms in D
  • 700 Ohms in N
  • 1500 Ohms in R
  • 4000 Ohms in P

I got roughly the same readings on the second unit I've got
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
cowboy_dan
Bigfoot is an OBS
Member's Gallery

There are 2 sections to the sensor. The first is the ohmic section that you are measuring, and the second is a power section that is the neutral safety switch for the starter.
The problem with the ohmic section is that the wiper and PCB trace get worn from years of use and start to have intermittent connections.
I couldn't see this on AutoE, but having had my old one apart, I believe that was the case. It was pretty worn in several spots.
Since you got your replacement from the parts truck, it very well could be having the same problem.

The manual 2 is truly manual. If you watch AutoE, the solenoids are in the same state in M2 as in neutral or park. Therefore, the PCM is not involved in the M2. So you know your M2 clutches are good.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
buckingbrutus
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

OK, so that makes more sense. it seems to check out ok, but the traces on the one I took apart look like crap too, and I suppose it might be able to handle the minimal load of the multimeter, but when the huge 5 or so volts hits it maybe it's just overloaded lol
Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
buckingbrutus
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

so just changed out the gear position sensor, no change. also checked the resistance in the solenoids, and they're all just over 20 ohms. I'm really stumped here...open to all suggestions
Old 02-13-2010, 02:40 AM
cowboy_dan
Bigfoot is an OBS
Member's Gallery

Passage in the valve body blocked? I wouldn't know how to check that, just thinking.

SS1 is 1st, SS1 & SS2 is 2nd, SS2 is 3rd, all off is 4th (OD)
SS3 is the coast clutch, only engaged when OD is off, and always engaged when the OD is off and shifter is in D, no matter what SS1 and SS2 do.

Just for the heck of it, I'd put the truck on jackstands and wire up some test leads and 3 voltmeters. Not test lights, voltmeters.
Then if the PCM commands 2nd, then you know you have a problem in the valving.
If the PCM never commands 2nd, then you know something is causing it to think it should not shift yet.

I just thought of something! when you put the shift position sensor in, how did you align it? It's very easy to get wrong, which could cause your problem.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:20 PM
buckingbrutus
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I suppose it could be something internal with the passages...there's ways to check that with air pressure at certain ports. I didn't care to check it when I had it open b/c I knew it was a good shifting unit, was just replacing tailshaft and clutch packs (had a 4x4 tail on it, figured I'd put new fibers/seals in there while I was there).

That's a good idea with the jackstands, would at least start to isolate the problem.

And for the gear pos switch, I aligned the two notches in the upper left sector while the trans was in neutral. One thing I did notice, and not sure if it would matter, is the shift lever on the steering column doesn't seem to align up just right with the lever on the trans.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
cowboy_dan
Bigfoot is an OBS
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckingbrutus View Post
I suppose it could be something internal with the passages...there's ways to check that with air pressure at certain ports. I didn't care to check it when I had it open b/c I knew it was a good shifting unit, was just replacing tailshaft and clutch packs (had a 4x4 tail on it, figured I'd put new fibers/seals in there while I was there).

That's a good idea with the jackstands, would at least start to isolate the problem.

And for the gear pos switch, I aligned the two notches in the upper left sector while the trans was in neutral. One thing I did notice, and not sure if it would matter, is the shift lever on the steering column doesn't seem to align up just right with the lever on the trans.
Did you use the little notch on the rotating part, or the big notch? It should be the little notch. But then, it shouldn't be able to start when the handle is in neutral.

Past that, I'm at a loss.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:48 PM
buckingbrutus
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

the little notch...I'm pretty sure it's aligned right, starts fine in neutral and park.

Is there a way to induce a test, electrically? The rebuild manual talked about a Key-On-Engine-Off test, but I couldn't follow how to initiate that. And the PCM I've got in there is a 96, so maybe a OBDII scanner? but I haven't had any experience with those, and there's no idiot lights on
Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 PM
cowboy_dan
Bigfoot is an OBS
Member's Gallery

It's pretty much out of my area of knowledge.
Good luck, let me know what you find.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:33 PM
countryboyrob
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

you only have first gear? have you tried putting the selector in 2?

when we did the shift kit on my truck it wouldnt shift into 2nd when it was suspossed to due to a spring that was caught by a tap in the valve body.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM
buckingbrutus
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

yeas, it'll go into 2nd gear in manually, just not in Drive.

do you remember which spring it was? I didn't install the shift kit, it was there before I opened it up,but the trans did work fine before (with the shift kit installed)
Old 02-14-2010, 05:02 PM
countryboyrob
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I believe it was the spring for 1st gear.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 33
0373, 04yfzkid, 6216, 79 Bronc, 94powerstroke, 99coalroller, 9secdeuce, alaskan, BME460, bondsman, catman70, CharleyCook, coryg, countryboymma, dave jr, DD95, f150powerstroke, graywolfda, harley1iron, jcmagone, johndeereman, Kazairl, Micke380, rchambers09, robr1970, rocktoy, Satan's chariot, silent64, SNR, stoneykegonsa, vanderchevy18, wooly7727, wynndaddy