Cracked flywheel or Rod knock or ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 PM
86turbodsl
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Cracked flywheel or Rod knock or ?

Ok, I've been having issues with my 97 PSD. Been running really rough, and making a hell of a racket, that I had come and go once. Sounds like a rod coming out. Didn't do it when I bought it, about 1000 miles ago. Somebody told me it could be the flywheel/flexplate. So I climbed under it and took the inspection plate off. The flexplate looks flawless. No cracks that I could see, either around the spacer or radiating from any bolt hole. Can it be cracked inside the diameter of the spacer on the flywheel? IE, not visible without removing it? I also was told it could be a loose cat brick inside the catalyst. I banged on it with a hammer, but it didn't seem to rattle. It also seems sluggish driving. Once when I was at work, it was making the rattle and vibrating really bad. For a second or two, it seemed to free up and quit vibrating as much, and had a lot more pep, to be followed seconds later by the rattle again and the slowness. I want to think it's the cat brick, but I'm afraid it's actually much worse. Anyone have ideas what to check next besides cutting the cat out for a looky?
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 02:19 AM
speeddemon31176
Demon Dually
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Cracked flywheel or Rod knock or ?

Usually when the flexplate cracks it is around the bolt circle where the flexplate bolts to the crankshaft which you can't see without pulling the tranny. Your problem however sounds like a textbook case of a faulty cat. Unbolt the cat from the downpipe and hang it out of the way. Then run the truck and see if your problem is gone. If so then either replace the cat or utilize another method of fixing your bad kitty issue.
97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
Old 02-09-2010, 10:12 AM
86turbodsl
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Ok, I'm going to try that and see what I find.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:00 PM
JCart
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Really rough at idle or under power. Does it ever smooth out? Auto or ZF5 tranny?

As a suggestion go to top of page to User CP and then to edit signature and add in what you have on your truck in this way it will be easier or folks to assist you.....

jrc
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, SRK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5 ).
White / Silver 96 F250 4x2, SCSB E4OD, 4:10 stock for now mods to install: D60, engine stuff.
Truck pix write ups
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 PM
86turbodsl
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

It's roughest at idle. Smooths out a bit with higher rpms, but still there. Another note, I've only floored it a couple of times, and it seems to have a lot of vibration at full throttle too. Sweet spot is about 1500-2000 or so, light throttle. Another question, does the idle get worse when the HPOP output is low? I've thought it's had a bad injector since I bought it since it's always seemed like a miss. this thing is WAAAYY more of a slug than my 6.9 IDI w/Turbo is. Which is puzzling, since I always thought PSD's were pretty racy.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 PM
86turbodsl
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

My signature doesn't show up even though I have one setup in my profile. Wierd.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 AM
JCart
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Thought perhaps you were running a ZF5 with stock dual mass flywheel and it was on the way out....this is most noticable coming off throttle to idle...

jrc
Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
86turbodsl
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

ttt
Old 02-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Harl
Harl
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Harl

Does it still have the factor 2 pice flywheel?

Mods: GlowShift Gauges-Boost, Pryo, Oil psi and Fuel psi. DIY 6637 Intake, 160/100's, Wildman 6pos, Stage 2 water/meth, D66, TE HPOP, Vailer Clutch, Custom Bars and 5in turbo back....

PT-1995 F350- totaled
Soon to be brought back to a 1992

http://www.youtube.com/truerednecks
Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM
speeddemon31176
Demon Dually
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

OK. You bumped the thread up but never got back as to whether or not you checked the flywheel to see if it was cracked. let us know what you found out about the flywheel then if that is not the case we can move on to other possibilities. Oh make sure the converter nuts are tight. If they are loose they will produce a sound that mimicks a rod knock.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 38
7.3lsmoker, 86turbodsl, 97rattlebox, 99psd-white, ackdog, bftank, blksmkstroke, catfish, cnsmith, cowboy_dan, cowman79, crowz, ctd12valve95, CUMMINS_KILLA99, Dansk, DRD, eastcoastevolutionjl, Gotti2k7, isak, jamfam, JD7210, JohnnyBeGood, kodiak65, lj01, morefuel, RichWT, rpm-inc, rusty1161, savage250, shodan43, ShogunRider, smokinstroke, SNR, tank, TimberPro, vintage way, wgoebel78, xcessivebronco