Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Single turbo 6.4 in progress

103K views 584 replies 97 participants last post by  dieseleater432 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after 2 long days of work, its almost ready to drive, all I got to say is WOW what a project i got myself into, This has been a ton of work and i hope its worth it. Pulling the stock turbo's out was one of the hardest things eva! Once you do it one time, it will be much easier the next times, but its not a fun job.

Here is the turbo somewhat mounted, with the fabricated up-pipes that are heat wrapped, I know, I know they wont last as long, but im more concerned with spool up than anything.

This is what The turbo up-pipes and everything look like out of the truck, you can install it just like this.

Not the best pic but the turbo is in it and mounted, oil lines on, Sorry for the poor pictures, i cant get the hood all the way open in the shop so its hard to get good pics.

Here is a video of the truck idling and stuff, sounds alot like a 7.3, the turbo moves pretty good amount of air with no load, I'm hoping that it lights pretty decent.

I owe a big thanks to mike (97singlecab) for the turbo, uppipes, wrap, and labor, Ryan (magicman) for the help and entertainment and Tadd and elite for letting me barrow an exhaust housing to try out.

There is alot of details that I didnt get pictures of, but i had to use an aftermarket downpipe and i welded a flange on the downpipe to match the exhaust housing. I still got some work to do, I dont know what im going to do for an air filter since the mass air flow is in the intake and i need another 90 degree bend for the turbo to intercooler pipe, and i should be driving it tomorrow with any luck.

I still need to mount the reservoir for the fuel cooler, figure out some sort of intake elbow to get rid of the EGR valve, but I think that will come at a later date, For right now I have a egr block off plate at the uppipe where the wastegate will go, I have my drive pressure guage hooked up there for now to see how this exhaust housing is going to work. The welds are less that great i will say that, and there are certain things i will change when the cab comes off to do studs. But for now it will work, im almost thinking of a log style manifold instead of "header" type. I have some thick walled tubing that would hold the heat in pretty well, and might make it easier to fabricate.

Well here are some pictures of it all buttoned up, still have to reroute the crank case vent, but i didnt have a big enough 90 to make the bend, the compressor housing is pretty big and there isnt much room to snake it down past it, so i can go down the frame and out the back of the truck, most everything is good to go, fixed my oil drain leak, then it sprung an oil feed leak, got that fixed too, so hopefully it wont look like my old 70s ford when i park in the driveway :doh:

See less See more
3 9
#2 ·
The wrap on the uppipes might actually last longer then you think.

I know of several 7.3's that have it and have seen 2,000+ degree's. ;)

And it definitely seems louder!!!!

#20 ·
Thats what I'm hoping for.

sweet man...you dont plan to tow anymore do you?
I am selling my snowmobile, and dirt bike, about the heaviest thing that will get towed is a boat or a fairly empty enclosed trailer, we will see, i will try and tow with it, for a later day though.
Very sick! We need to get together so I can come check it out!
Yeah man i might have it down on the dyno next weekend or the following weekend.
very nice!!!! real crious to see how these motors run with the single! when will we see some numbers with it?
I wont have track numbers for a good while, I would like to drive it on the road and stuff and make sure everything is working as it should and i dont have any issues, then i will put it on the dyno, bad part is the only dyno that i have used around here is an inertia dyno, and it really needs to be on a load dyno, but it will still be a good compareson if the turbo will light.

#15 ·
very nice!!!! real crious to see how these motors run with the single! when will we see some numbers with it?

#18 ·
was just talking about a single turbo 6.4 and if anyone has done it yet- got to love that kind of turn around time lol
can't wait to hear how it works! looks good so far

#23 ·
I wont have track numbers for a good while, I would like to drive it on the road and stuff and make sure everything is working as it should and i dont have any issues, then i will put it on the dyno, bad part is the only dyno that i have used around here is an inertia dyno, and it really needs to be on a load dyno, but it will still be a good compareson if the turbo will light.[/QUOTE]

even tho it is an inertia dyno have you run your truck on the same dyno before so you have numbers to compare it to?

#26 ·
I wont have track numbers for a good while, I would like to drive it on the road and stuff and make sure everything is working as it should and i dont have any issues, then i will put it on the dyno, bad part is the only dyno that i have used around here is an inertia dyno, and it really needs to be on a load dyno, but it will still be a good compareson if the turbo will light.
even tho it is an inertia dyno have you run your truck on the same dyno before so you have numbers to compare it to?[/QUOTE]
Yes I have twice that's why I'm going to put it back on that dyno so I know what the numbers are

Its not looking like I will have it done today I have some family and friend stuff going on today and I cand find the correct pipe in town so I'm going to order one for tomorrow and hopefully I can drive it then ill keep everyone posted

#55 ·
#27 ·
Cool Nice to see some real fab work going on, What size charger did you go with?

That Wrap holds up pretty good, I have it on my crossover pipe for my HX82 and it lasted quite a while.

As far as pulling the stock chargers they are a PITA, They actually make a half moon wrech (matco is where i got mine at) for taking those bottom upipe bolts from the turbo. Too bad i got it and havent pulled another one since lol

Travis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.