Injector Buzz test basics - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:57 PM
jeromejcp
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Injector Buzz test basics

Howdy all,

I've got a couple of basic questions about injector buzz tests. I know that the terminator scan gauge and the AE will both do them. Now onto the questions

1. Are the same things required for the 'buzz' that are required for the injector to fire when the truck is running / starting? I.E. Voltage, fuel pressure, oil pressure so on an so forth, or just a good solid connection?

2. If you are not getting a buzz with a particular injector or all the injectors but the tach is still moving is that indicative of a failure of the injector(s) or the signal to that injector(s)? Or does it pass if the tach still moves?

3. How many 'buzzes' should there be? I've had one loud one followed by 8 softer ones. I am assuming that it is all 8 buzzing then each individual one.

4. At the end of the 9 buzzes should there be anything else? Reason being is my scan gauge continues to say 'testing' but nothing else happens, even after 5 minutes. Is this a failure of my truck or the gauge?

Thanks in advance, hope this clears some things up about this process.

JP5
00 F350 CC LB 4x4 auto. Nitto Terra 285 75 r16 E, Dynatrac free spin hubs, ccv, rancho stabilizer, centramatics, upgraded GPR, DB starter, 2.0 ga pos cable, matching 5th rim, 6637, 4" SS magnaflow, CPR, Scan Gauge, Mag Hytech.

USN VBSS, Burn sink or take a-prize.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

Re: Injector Buzz test basics

1. no (buzz test = electrical continuity test) ie totally POS injectors will "pass" the buzz test if they are plugged in.

2. possibly either an electrical (wiring, IDM, solenoid) problem..or an internal injector issue (mechanical)...tach movement doesn't mean chit

3. 9. all (8 injs) simultaneous and then 1-8 numerically in order.

4. don't know...I would expect after a couple of minutes that the scangauge would return some result (as a scan tool would)...but I've never used a scangauge.

click to send email
Reply With Quote Go to the top

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 121
1997F350CCLB, 1bad306, 2000 powerstroke7.3, 2007PSD, 836.9, 89xj, 95F250, 96powerstroke96, Adinas95, andrewv_24, babydoll, beau tn, BeringSeaFisher, bigstroke, bigtoejones, BigWhite97, bsdracing, bulldog01, carsmars, caveman1, cgress, CTFFEMT, cthom388, Diesel Mack, DieselTiger, Dorito, douglasharwood, Drew2010, dsinderson, dswhite, dtreid, dzgrey, dzlstroker, ellisfl09, e_in_tn, fergus, floridastroke, flyin_rhino, fourwheeldrive9, freddie, Fro_911, grecoface, hawghunter, ilh, isak, jamesthebikeguy, james_mtz07, JD3020, jeffie864, Jeffro92, jeremyroff, Jgman141, Jnalaplace, JohnnyBeGood, johnsdeere, KingCrabb, kolb, lght1, lightnin, lms, LT313, MATREDGT, MColeman, micky_blue, NE-STROKE, NoahA, ntruderrider, nuke tech, Nuzzlenut, oldbluef250, ol_blue97, opieg01, PAbowhunter, PeteTx, Plumbnman, PSDOWNER, rich in co, rmckee242, roadstar, Roush4_6, rtc0360, rtm038, RyanG85, Satan's chariot, saw4sun, ServiceTech, ShogunRider, sixpack1, skippy969, smags, smokin97, Soledad, southmike, Splash, stlhdfishr, strokefreak, Stroker02, strokin340, Sworddylan, SWVa, Tampa450, Terrafirma57, texans, Texla, theGreenHornet, timar, tongboy, TSiZj, twstmup, userrmr, USMCNICK, vic32ft, walkerblayne, wildbillcody97, willholl79, wishbone, Woodnthings8, yavorssj, zusmc