turbo flutter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:18 AM
bigfords
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

turbo flutter?

My uncle insisted on putting a Banks kit on his truck, so I helped him even though I don't like banks.
anyways, his excursion is an 03 6.0, and now he has a weird turbo flutter. Almost like surge, but under almost no throttle. Whats the deal, it sounds like a pulsing turbo, but not sure what the cause is. Does it even have anything to do with the tons of hours of banks work we just did to it?

Thanks

"Because HE Lives..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 04:45 AM
fishinfool98
Go Away I'm Baitin
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to fishinfool98
Re: turbo flutter?

what rpm range is this happening at???

Sailors may come
Sailors may go
Tis the engineer below
That makes it Suck, Push, Bang, and Blow

"Closed due to EXPLOSIVE diarrhea, will be back when the EXPLOSIONS are over!"
Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Logan21SV
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

what kind of banks kit did yall put on? Did it change the tuning??
Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 AM
bigfords
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

well as of now, I think the flutter went away.
It was a banks stinger kit I beleive, it had the intercooler and all
Old 12-31-2007, 07:20 PM
mxchase
lott is my daddy
Member's Gallery

for the most part this is normal when you start to put more boost and more air into these engines...even stock it can happen.

its called "turbo bark" or "turbo fart" depending on your maturity lol. since these turbos are variable geometery turbos and not waste gated the only way the air has to go out when their is excess is back through the intake tube.

listen carefully when it does it- it should be from the intake side..specifically the intake tube. it happens when you are under boost and suddenly let off. try boosting to 10 pounds or so and completely let off the throttle and you will see what i am talking about.

this is not just a ford thing- my friends dmax does the same thing.

i'd rather be hated by 12 than carried by 6
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 AM
airflo71
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchase View Post
for the most part this is normal when you start to put more boost and more air into these engines...even stock it can happen.

its called "turbo bark" or "turbo fart" depending on your maturity lol. since these turbos are variable geometery turbos and not waste gated the only way the air has to go out when their is excess is back through the intake tube.

listen carefully when it does it- it should be from the intake side..specifically the intake tube. it happens when you are under boost and suddenly let off. try boosting to 10 pounds or so and completely let off the throttle and you will see what i am talking about.

this is not just a ford thing- my friends dmax does the same thing.

Absolutely, the 03's and 04's have this problem more so than new models becuase of the precesnce of a throttle body in the intake system and esp. when power modifications are made. When the turbo does this I call it a FURBO!! Some sort of pressure relief device like a blow-off valve can correct this problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 79
!!!PainTrain!!!, 06-f350, 93cherokee, 94prez, airflo71, aquaman, arvel_a, B18B1LS1, badluck_early99, BDS, BigDirty '04, bigfords, BilletGarage, blackwaterstroker, BlueOvalDiesel, bondsman, brickhead, broncof250444, BUFF, Bushwakd, bustednuckles, capmaac, charlie99, CMPOWER, cowboy_dan, Diezel Dawg, DIRTBIKEZ, duckdog500, dusted4eva, f-150_xl, F350Powerhouse, fishinfool98, flyin_rhino, genuineford, GOT FUEL, GPD270, gtmustang00, hag000, HiVoltage, Java, jcc01, jimhall_az, Jomull55, jvencius, Kmack, Kountryboy 6.0, kyle43335, Logan21SV, lucky, makaveli200369, mattymx, Mooring Product, NWSUPRD, NyCowboy87, Potter, pro350hydro, Pruitt Motorsports, PSD Trav, PSDnate, pwrstrk4x4, pwrstroke6john, RescueF250, rocket350, samdust, sicktoad, slowleak, smokin dually, Steelmonkey, stonecold108, StrokeThis34, strokethis7.3, Strokin304, SUPERIOR OFFROAD INC., t350, tkdbf350, Turbodiesel6.0