Why can't I steer my truck?! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Other Diesel Topics > Suspension and Drivetrain
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you have difficulty steering while stopped with NO brakes applied?
Yes 17 31.48%
No 20 37.04%
somewhat 15 27.78%
what are you talking about ? 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 AM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Why can't I steer my truck?!

Hey guys,
I know that the steering in our trucks is not a new issue (steering and braking simultaneously at low speeds), but I can't believe that there is not a viable solution to the poorly engineered steering/hydra boost operation that plagues us!!!

My truck- 02 F250 7.3 (see sig) w/215K well maintained miles, all normal maintenence, no major problems, I've had my truck since new, I love and adore my truck.

My problem- truck does not steer at all while stopped with or without applying brakes or e-brake. No power steering at all while stopped, period. I have to be rolling either direction at ~3+ mph to be able to turn the wheel at all.

My problem with this problem- This may not seem like a big deal to some people, especially those that learned to drive vehicles "back in the day," when power assisted steering was not commonplace.

I have heard folks say "it is was it is, just deal with it", "that's normal", and "just don't expect steering while applying the brakes in these trucks." First, I don't accept a $40,000+ vehicle not steering easily like a Lincoln Town Car, and secondly, as I stated in the beginning of this post, I have NO STEERING at all even when the brakes are NOT being applied in any way what-so-ever.

I have had this problem since new, albeit, not as bad as it is now.
I noticed steering and brake whine back around 180K miles, replaced the steering pump and things were back to "normal." "Normal" was stiff steering while stopped, but I could, at least turn the wheel, with difficultly, while in parking lots with or without the brakes being applied. I just dealt with the not so great steering for the love of this truck in every other way.

I don't do heavy hauling or towing on a regular basis with this truck. I haul light bed loads of landscape/irrigation supplies occassionally in the summer, make a dozen tandem snowmachine trailer load trips per winter, and make 1-2family vacation trips of 1-2K miles per year.

I replaced all four ball joints with greaseable Moog's this Summer (~15K miles ago), have checked front u-joints, hubs, half shafts, axle seals, replaced front differential fluid, and checked and maintained all bushings/joints in steering linkage. Finally, I only have a single OEM steering stabilizer and I keep tires aired up religiously.

I have had factory 265's and replacement 285's up until 2K miles ago when I installed a 3" front/1.5" rear leveling kit with 315's on stock wheels.
Just recently, I have noticed difficult, then ultimately, no steering while stopped, even when reving the rpm's with no brakes applied.

So, I replaced the pump, checked/replaced low/high pressure hoses, checked out steering box and hydra boost unit. The steering box and hydra boost checked out fine, as did bearings in steering column/shaft. All were smooth/normal in operation throughout all diagnostic steps done by myself and Ford stealership independently. Flushed steering/hydra boost systems with Mobil 1 syn ATF, found no obstructions, no leaks, no whine or growl.

BUT,..............STILL CANNOT STEER AT ALL WHILE COMPLETELY STOPPED WITH OR WITHOUT APPLYING BRAKES.

Sorry for the long post...but, I just want to know if someone out there has any ideas for why the steering is bad in the first place, and now is down right unacceptable in my truck. Should I just endure the expense of replacing the steering box/gears and hydra boost unit even though the gears are smooth with the front wheels off of the ground and the brakes are actually working great in my truck. And...don't forget that the stealership even says that the box and hydra boost are fine. They say to..."just live with it, it's normal to some degree."

I've read countless posts about AGR pumps, Saginaw type pumps, Redhead steering boxes, etc. But, is there any reliable, repeatable, known remedy for the steering problem that, seemingly, many folks are having in our trucks?

I know our diesels don't produce vacuum like gassers do, so how can we get more vacuum to properly operate the steering/hydra boost braking system in our trucks?!!!

I just can't accept "living with it."
I mean, really, I don't even trailer a lot...I can't see how others that hook up to a trailer for a living and recreation deal with the inferior low speed steering in our trucks.

What ideas and/or questions about this do you guys have...?
Thanks in advance!

2010 Red F-350 6.4L FX4 Lariat CC SRW SWB- AFE Stage II CAI, H&S Mini Maxx, Flo Pro 5" TBE, LineX

02 F250 7.3 Lariat 4x4 6spd CC LWB- 3" lift/level, bilsteins, BFG A/T 315's on factory XLT wheels, AFE stage II, straight piped, - SOLD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Re: Why can't I steer my truck?!

Wow, I can steer mine lock to lock with 1 finger while at a dead stop. Pure stock steering system.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 AM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

What size tires do you have on front?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Stock. Could be the reason.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Super_Hauler
Super Hauler!
Member's Gallery

I dont have any problem in any of my trucks, some of the trucks do some dont it seems. Even in my 450 with really square tires i dont have any problem.

My buddy has a 450 also and his steering sounds a lot like yours, he has to rev the motor and put all of 280lbs in it, it makes it a pita to hook up to goodnecks when he is just a little off of center. Sorry i couldnt help.
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
HERS:2001 F-350 ccsb notta stock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 AM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thanks for your replies.
It does seem to either affect some and not others.
And, of course, if your rolling on stocker tires, then not as many problems.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 AM
ford7.3sd
Big Sky Groomer Op.
Member's Gallery

mine is some what like yours but im on 37s
DIY intake, Tuned by deoblo,gauges(boost,trans,piro), 5 inch MBRP,4 inch superlift and 37 inch ss m16s and sportin the 05 headlights.

E-99 F-250SD lariat SC,SB 4X4.
lots of dents a plow, in need of some love.

95 Chubby Blazer 4X4... pile.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 AM
SD01WD
William
Member's Gallery

I hope you find the problem, BUT mine is a one finger wonder like Andy's.
Tank has been harpooned
Gages: Boost and Pressure
on the post & 4" S/S turbo Back by Aljay.
Rancho's all around
Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 AM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

So far, I'm noticing that the 2wd guys are "one finger guys."
Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 AM
redmist
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Mines 4x4 and I ahve the same problem.. Replaced the Pump, and I still can't turn it while stopped..

Stock tire size and all...

Plus the brakes blow ass!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 AM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

redmist,
thanks for the reply.
If your steering and brakes are crappy, even after a pump replacement, then you may want to have your hydra boost unit tested/checked out.
Have you tried Mobil 1 synthetic ATF to flush?
Bottom line- our trucks definitely have poorly engineered steering/hydraboost/braking systems IMHO.
Does anyone have any remedies or input regarding anything they've tried?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 AM
smokyred
What else?
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

My Dad's 4x4 2000 has no problem steering while sitting idleing.

Jack the front end up and see if it still is hard to steer.

Dave

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

My Pictures
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 AM
crowz
PSN Mega Miler
Member's Gallery

I had that problem and it turned out to be the steering stabilizer. See if its bent or crushed any.
My F250 and other Rides
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
My Dad's 4x4 2000 has no problem steering while sitting idleing.

Jack the front end up and see if it still is hard to steer.

Dave
As I stated in OP, everything is great when the front end is off the ground.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 03:16 PM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
I had that problem and it turned out to be the steering stabilizer. See if its bent or crushed any.
Thanks for the idea...but, I disconnected the stabilizer with no improvement.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
whitjo
TennesseeHillbilly
Member's Gallery

It's not "normal" not to be able to turn the wheel when stopped.
Where did you get your pump? Some of the box store (AZ, AA etc) parts are JUNK! One guy, some time back put on a rebuilt one from AZ that was junk from the get-go.

Either your pump is weak, or the steering gear is bad as in losing pressure internally?? If all your steering linkage is undamaged and working freely, there's nothing else it could be. The fact that it will turn freely when the wheels are off the ground when there is no resistance on the system,would indicate a weak pump or faulty gear.
I think that if the hydroboost was faulty you would have issues with the brakes.
Just in case Look here for some testing procedures for the hydroboost.

Good Luck, that has to be a PITA!
BDS front leveling kit
4" straight piped
Sinister pre-pump mod w/filter
Dick Cepek DC1 w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 325/65R18,

Annoy A Liberal....... Work Hard and Be Happy!
Please dont call me white or Caucasian. It offends me.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:40 PM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitjo View Post
It's not "normal" not to be able to turn the wheel when stopped.
Where did you get your pump? Some of the box store (AZ, AA etc) parts are JUNK! One guy, some time back put on a rebuilt one from AZ that was junk from the get-go.

Either your pump is weak, or the steering gear is bad as in losing pressure internally?? If all your steering linkage is undamaged and working freely, there's nothing else it could be. The fact that it will turn freely when the wheels are off the ground when there is no resistance on the system,would indicate a weak pump or faulty gear.
I think that if the hydroboost was faulty you would have issues with the brakes.
Just in case Look here for some testing procedures for the hydroboost.

Good Luck, that has to be a PITA!
Thank you, my friend!
I agree, it's not normal.
The remanufactured pump is from NAPA. It's an A1 Cardone unit which may be an issue? Should I pull that pump and exchange it for another?
Could the steering gear be bad even if it steers/centers smoothly while moving >5mph with no bind, grinding, clunking, etc?
I did the procedures in the link...very helpful. But, the problem does not seem to be in the hydroboost unit.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
sniperonhigh
Harry Callahan
Member's Gallery

The first thing to do is pressure test your system, either the pump isn't making pressure or something is bypassing. Vacuum has absolutely nothing to do with it.
RDRCM#10
A select band of brothers- We stand together as one.

Giant VT-3, not stock
Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM
whitjo
TennesseeHillbilly
Member's Gallery

Here's what I would do. If you've had the pump only for a short time, pull it off and take it back and exchange it for another one.

I went through 3 reman starters and 2 reman alternators on my Jeep after I converted it to a Chevy V8. That should eliminate the pump. If that corrects it great. If not, it has to be the gear.

It will turn just fine with no load because it's essentially a manual gear. But when it's loaded....tires on the ground....if it's bad then you won't get the power assist that is created by hydraulic pressure inside the gear. There could possibly be some seals or O-rings blown or leaking internally preventing the pressure from building.

I know the gear is pricey. You might find one at the junk yard...??? Good Luck
Hope you get it figured out. I know that mine steers just fine even sitting still and I am running 35X13's on it.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperonhigh View Post
The first thing to do is pressure test your system, either the pump isn't making pressure or something is bypassing. Vacuum has absolutely nothing to do with it.
If the pressure is adequate,
what would be bypassing?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM
HotRodTractor
HRT Performance
Member's Gallery

Even my pulling truck with 1K lbs of weight on the nose would turn without too much headache until I lock the front hubs in. (welded front diff). Without the weight it would only take a finger to go lock to lock.

Good luck solving your issue, but I plan on installing a modified hyrdaboost setup on the 79 involving mostly superduty parts (and possibly a chevy steering box...)
1968 Chevy - 5.9

Videos Pictures
Old 12-18-2009, 05:19 PM
bldnmup
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

my 02 is the same as op. really sucks when you have an idiot backing you ontu a trailer. i sometimes hit nuetral and rev up a lil and that seems to help.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 PM
crowz
PSN Mega Miler
Member's Gallery

If the stabilizer isnt it (yes mine turned easier when lifted with the bad stabilizer, plus the stabilizer being gone makes it turn sharper) then either replace the pump and or flush it with mobile 1 atf. I noticed a big difference when doing the mobile 1 atf switch out.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 PM
PHPDiesel
Butt-Head
Member's Gallery

THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM!!! IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!! STOP THROWING MONEY AWAY!!!

Here is what is happening:

As you turn the steering wheel from left to right or right to left, the tires move in an arc, pivoting on the ball joints.

Watch the tire as you have somebody turn the wheel from one lock to the next.....better yet, put a chalk mark directly at 6 o'clock position with the wheels turned all the way to the left. With foot off of the brake, have your special someone turn the wheel to the right lock. Where is your chalk line now? It's not directly at 6 o'clock anymore is it?

The wheel has to be able to rotate slightly to move in this arc created by the pivot point that is the ball joints.

IF YOUR FOOT IS ON THE BRAKES, YOU HAVE FRICTION THAT IS NO LONGER JUST FROM TIRE SCRUB ON THE PAVEMENT BUT FRICTION FROM THE BRAKE PADS ON THE ROTORS AS WELL. IT IS A NORMAL CONDITION.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 PM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM!!! IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!! STOP THROWING MONEY AWAY!!!

Here is what is happening:

As you turn the steering wheel from left to right or right to left, the tires move in an arc, pivoting on the ball joints.

Watch the tire as you have somebody turn the wheel from one lock to the next.....better yet, put a chalk mark directly at 6 o'clock position with the wheels turned all the way to the left. With foot off of the brake, have your special someone turn the wheel to the right lock. Where is your chalk line now? It's not directly at 6 o'clock anymore is it?

The wheel has to be able to rotate slightly to move in this arc created by the pivot point that is the ball joints.

IF YOUR FOOT IS ON THE BRAKES, YOU HAVE FRICTION THAT IS NO LONGER JUST FROM TIRE SCRUB ON THE PAVEMENT BUT FRICTION FROM THE BRAKE PADS ON THE ROTORS AS WELL. IT IS A NORMAL CONDITION.

Thanks for your reply...I'm not disputing your statements, but I am disputing that this should be "normal."

Try to turn the front wheels of any heavy duty truck from other mfgs, and most, if not all, will have enough power to turn the wheels while at slow speeds or even if stopped. I know these trucks are heavy in the front, but so are Dodges, GM trucks, large straight trucks, and big rigs.
Therefore, none of those trucks should be able to have the operator turn the steering wheel and move the front wheels from side to side while stopped or at slow speeds (<5mph) even when not applying the brakes.
I know that it's stressful on the suspension and steering components, and it's not ideal to turn the wheels unless moving. But, there are situations that require low speed/stopped steering to be posible. And it is possible on most trucks. It was on mine up until recently...now I'm a trying to remedy the problem as my OP described.
So, no, I'm not going to accept that it is "normal" in a Ford PSD truck not to be able to turn your front wheels at low speed (<5mph) or while stopped even without applying any brakes at all.
Finally, I will add that almost 60% have indicated in the poll that they have at least some difficulty steering their trucks. So, it's not just my imagination.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 PM
whitjo
TennesseeHillbilly
Member's Gallery

BS! You're exactly right. It ain't "normal" at all. Nobody wants a dam truck that won't friggin steer!
A little bit of hard steering might be normal with the PSD system but not what you are describing.

I went to the garage a few minutes ago and started my truck just for chits and grins. Sitting in the barn on a rough concrete floor with the brakes applied it turned freely lock to lock.

I know that throwing parts at it can get expensive but if it was mine, I would fix it, whatever it took!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 PM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thanks whitjo,

I'm with you, I want a truck that will steer in any situation, period!
So, I'm still trying to diagnose and treat the problem.
I may exchange the recently replaced pump and/or replace the steering box.
There have been guys mention "upgraded" pumps or different style pumps, but I've yet to find any info on whether or not those options worked.
Are there any write-ups on our specific trucks' application?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 AM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Has anyone "upgraded" their PSD truck's steering capabilities in any way???
Anyone?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:50 AM
whitjo
TennesseeHillbilly
Member's Gallery

I'm running a PSC pump on my Jeep but it has full hydro steering, no gearbox.
They have upgraded pumps but not sure if they have one for the SD truck?
You might google them up, call and talk to Tom.

The Chevy pump I have is upgraded for pressure as well as volume. I run a high-pinion, king pin Dana 60 out of a '79 F250 with 42" Interco IROK tires.
The full hydro steers like a go-cart, unfortunately it's illegal on the street.

BTW nice Z06! I've got an '06 Z06
Old 12-19-2009, 01:12 AM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I know that folks have discussed AGR super pumps, which are a sagniaw type GM pump and also Rock Ram systems. I'll have to check out the PSC products.

Thanks, mine is an 07 with the triple tint coat Atomic Orange...crazy color, gotta love it!

I also have a Jeep Rubicon w/a 5.5" RE lift and a 1.5" BL with 37" Super Swamper SSR's. I would love to do a Chevy conversion some day, or even better, a diesel conversion like AEV does. But, AEV is expensive, to say the least.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Do all of you guys that voted "no" in the poll have OEM size tires?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM
7.3 King Ranch
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Wow! I relate 100% to what your saying. My truck is a 2000 4x4. I also cannot turn the wheels PERIOD without applying brakes while slow/stopped. I run 4" lift with 35's, but the tires make no difference...it wont turn stock rubber.

I had my truck down for several weeks, if not more than a month trying to solve this. I was at my wits end and said whatever it takes, make it happen! Well it didn't happen. Took the truck to local offroad/fab/rock crawler shop to solve the problems. After having tried 2 AGR Saginaw super PS pumps, BOTH of which sheared the damn shaft off the pump (thank God not while driving on the road!!), I was then sent to Tom at PSC (former owner of AGR) for help. We installed several new stock PS pumps, a new PSC ported steering box, new lines, a valve for the PS pump to increase line pressure, etc, all with no results.

My steering box is now ported for a ram assist, but after throwing countless $ and wasting tons of time, I finally was so frustrated I quit.

Bottom line, Tom said there was still a real chance that adding a ram may not solve the issue, as he said the problem lies in the restriction of the Hydroboost. Basically I would have to buy a ported hydroboost unit also....

Also, notice that you will NOT find any steering products on PSC's website for the 7.3! After dealing with my rig, Tom finally said the 7.3 steering is a royal PITA, and he doesn’t even want to deal with them!

So I suppose I could chance several more hundred dollars on a ram, only to find I need a several hundred dollar ported hydroboost unit..

Please find me a solid solution

00 F250 CC SB 35's, .......
Old 12-19-2009, 04:40 PM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thanks, 7.3 King Ranch, for you post.
Your experience is what I've been waiting to hear about. Sounds disappointing, to say the least.
I feel for you having to deal with all of that BS.
But, it does help me in my quest to understand this situation with the crappy steering system on our trucks.
My next step was going to be the AGR super Saginaw type pump or even the ported ideas, but those don't sound promising based on your unfortunate experiences.
I greatly appreciate your input!
Old 12-19-2009, 05:05 PM
7.3 King Ranch
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Absolutely do not waste a dime on an AGR Saginaw pump. You have to cut/modify your PS bracket. The first pump leaked in the shop immediately after installing it..the second blew the shaft out of the pump in my driveway after installing it...fluid everywhere. PSC had offered an upgraded PS pump, but that is not the issue (per Tom). My stock pump with the special valve makes plenty of pressure...it’s the hydroboost apparently.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM
whitjo
TennesseeHillbilly
Member's Gallery

I replaced the hydroboost on my truck about a year and a half ago because it started self-applying the brakes. I went to Ford and bought a brand new OEM factory unit. I installed it and flushed the entire system with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I've had zero issues with the PS or brakes since then.

It seems from his posts that 7.3 KR has covered every possible cause except for the HB unit...??.....it's an expensive piece but if it fixes the problem....?

Also just from looking at the factory service manual regarding hard steering/no power assist, it suggests either the pump or internal leakage in the gear..?
I don't understand why it's such a mystery........Some steer fine while others don't......????
Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 PM
SD01WD
William
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmtnstrokin View Post
Do all of you guys that voted "no" in the poll have OEM size tires?
You do have a problem and I sure hope you get it fixed...but to your
question, YES my old truck has stock size and is two wheel drive...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 PM
tbolt
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I vote for the hb. Also I think oem parts should work just fine. Just need to find the right guy to diagnos the thing.
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 AM
highmtnstrokin
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Well, I'll price the HB unit to see how much that one will hurt$.
How difficult is it to remove the old and install the new? I've never tackled that one before. I just hate to pay someone labor $ unless I can't handle the job.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM
TARM
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I had this same issue. I talked to a long time Ford mech that had also worked at the factory as well. He said the ford PS units were hit and miss. Some trucks were what way and new others started out Om and slowly got worse others had no issue thru the life of the truck. What it came down to was piss poor quality control. I bet if you do a poll you will alos find plenty will loose steering as well. While this can be temp remedied by tightening the adj allen head on the PS pump it still from a crappy quality of the pump. His suggestion to me and one that I have heard highly recommend by a number of people and not only for our trucks was to swap out the pump for a Redhead built pump They seem to have a great track record for top quality control: http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/FAQ.html
Old 12-20-2009, 04:04 PM
whitjo
TennesseeHillbilly
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARM View Post
I had this same issue. I talked to a long time Ford mech that had also worked at the factory as well. He said the ford PS units were hit and miss. Some trucks were what way and new others started out Om and slowly got worse others had no issue thru the life of the truck. What it came down to was piss poor quality control. I bet if you do a poll you will alos find plenty will loose steering as well. While this can be temp remedied by tightening the adj allen head on the PS pump it still from a crappy quality of the pump. His suggestion to me and one that I have heard highly recommend by a number of people and not only for our trucks was to swap out the pump for a Redhead built pump They seem to have a great track record for top quality control: http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/FAQ.html
Piss-poor quality with American auto manufacturers........????? How could that be?????
Old 12-21-2009, 02:37 AM
madpogue
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARM View Post
Um, the adjustment screw is not on the pump. AFAIK, Redhead does not make pumps.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 AM
TARM
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Absolutely correct. I actually had a number of threads open on differnet sites and was going back and forth. That was meant for a thread about the steering gears. I really got my posts crossed up. Used pump instead of gears in that one. I need to seriously try sleeping more.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:24 AM
TARM
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

On mine the steering is about in the middle symptom wise. I can get it to steer back and forth at a stop (no brakes) but I have to work it back and forth to get it to do so easily. One way is alwasy easier than the other. It switches sides depending etc.. The readhead on my friends definitely tightened up the steering but this is a different issue and his alwasy turned easy so I have no idea whether it would address this issue or not. If/when I swap out the box I guess I will know.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Mooring Product
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I have the same problem in my 03. 35 x 13.5 tires don't help but I see what your saying. I'm so used to it I forget about it until I jump into the wifes truck.

2003 F250 FX4 Lariat Crew Cab

No Spray, No Lay...

Custom tuned and sponsored by GoGo Diesel.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you. Jeremy Clarkson. Top Gear.

Mooring Products Worldwide
Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 AM
7.3Lifted
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I have the same problem but my 38/14.5/16LT's contribute to it alittle. I tightened up my steering by adjusting the alan screw on the top of my steering box and it got rid of the play in steering. Also, when I started up my truck I could steer properly and thought I solved the problem. I took it for a drive around the block and I could tell it was steering properly for the first 3 turns, after that the problem came back and I was disappointed.

I have read numerous posts with people saying "it is was it is, just deal with it", "that's normal" but I disagree, it definetly is not normal considering I got it to work properly for a little bit.

So guys, I'm new to this truck and don't know much about how the steering box and pump work. But if I was adjusting the steering box and I got it to work properly, is it safe to assume that it is my steering box that is causing the problem? or does adjusting the steering box somehow impact the power steering?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Phiber Optik
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

If the hydroboost unit is causing the possible pressure drop, how about putting a set of gauges on each side of the hydroboost unit to check for pressure drop.

Personally i'm not too familiar with the hydroboost unit itself would it be possible to do some diy porting?

Adjusting the screw on the top of the steering box just takes the slop out of the steering, bringing the screw and the worm closer together.

2000 Corvette - JT Trim Vortech

2007 HusaberG FS650

2008 RZR - Z1 Turbo
Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 AM
7.3Lifted
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiber Optik View Post
If the hydroboost unit is causing the possible pressure drop, how about putting a set of gauges on each side of the hydroboost unit to check for pressure drop.

Personally i'm not too familiar with the hydroboost unit itself would it be possible to do some diy porting?

Adjusting the screw on the top of the steering box just takes the slop out of the steering, bringing the screw and the worm closer together.
When I adjusted the screw on the steering box it did take the slop out of the steering (like as you stated) but I was also able to get my tires to turn left and right while stopped. I took it around the block and it steered properly for the first 3 turns. Is there any reason why it temporarily fixed my steering problem?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:15 AM
edge186
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I have the same problem with my 01. its impossible to turn the wheel while its stopped. someone earlier said they found their problem to be the steering stabilizer. i've noticed mine has a slight bend to it but i haven't got around to changing it yet to see if that would help anything.
ATS 4" Straight Pipe
ATS Ported Compressor Housing
AFE Stage II Intake
DI Stainless Up-Pipes
BTS Valve Body
6.0 Billet Converter
6.0 32 Row Trans Cooler
Foil Delete
AIH Delete
CCV Mod
Firestone Ride-Rite airbags
Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 AM
doubledoor
Canadian Stroker
Member's Gallery

Anyone change their steering box to see if it fixes the problem?
autometer NV boost,pyro,water temp and oil pressure
WW2,BRV
DP tunes - QI,60E,80E,40T,60T,100,120.
EBPV delete sensor.
blank pedestal and EBPV housing
ATS turbo housing
DI up-pipes.
2007 headlights,2008 taillights,2010 tailgate
17"Atx ledge with bfg AT.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:58 AM
7.3Lifted
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

My steering stabilizer was shot. I changed it to a dual one and it did not solve my problem.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Rollincoal97
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I drove an 05 with this issue and found nothing to be wrong with it that would cause it , but its also runnin 35's i heard the same thing about it just being the hydroboost and that is just how they are which sucks because my OBS has 38's and i can turn lock to lock at a stand still but then again it has the vacuum pump. The one thing i did to help with the turning on the 05 was slightly hit the gas pedal or turn while its rolling, i know it doesnt fix the problem you are having but it might help to get you through til you figure it out. Good Luck man!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
bigaF250
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

runnin 38's on my old 99 at 15.50 wide it was a one finger wonder before and after I installed that new gearbox due to breakage. Is it a different pump from 99 to 02
SWCR POWERSTROKE MEMBER #29
Old 03-13-2010, 02:55 AM
doubledoor
Canadian Stroker
Member's Gallery

Another update. I changed the line from the hydro boost to the steering box and now when I am on my smooth concrete shop floor it will turn lock to lock no problem. But when I hit the road it turns a quoter turn then it is hard to turn. I am running 285 75 16 all terrain ta. I have new ball joints and tie rods. Also no steering stabilizer.The truck has never been like this before this just started. I will not settle for O well fords are like that! How do I tell my wife that drives it 90% of the time live with it? Please HELP
Old 07-07-2010, 04:33 AM
megaduty
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

2005 f250 6.0 4x4 won't turn at stop, hard turn when idle rolling. 15K on Ford reman PS pump (no power change). Just flushed from hydroboost return using 4 quarts of Mobile 1 ATF still no go. Want to make sure that the full bolt on ORU ram assist kit will work or do I need to buy a stinking HB too??!! Is there a "performance" HB unit? I don't want another Ford OEM hydro-boofup if this is the "way" I should go 1st...
Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 AM
TANK'S 250
King Dingaling
Member's Gallery

HUH???

I have all stock steering parts....and I can turn my 41's from a dead stop....they must have upgraded something in the 05's
Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 PM
bigaF250
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I just wound up putting a new ps pump and gearbox on my 08 for the same reason and now its smooth as could be
Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 PM
ReelSlacker
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I just wound up putting a new ps pump and gearbox on my 08 for the same reason and now its smooth as could be
Thanks, I just started reading through some threads last night (new member) looking for the best route to go for some extra HP and i found this thread. I bought my 08 F250 6.4L brand new and thought from day one it should turn sitting still.(it didn't) Tech gave me the same ol' story....bigger tires makes it harder to turn (it sat on the showroom floor with a 6" lift and 35"x13.5" from pro comp) I just couldn't imagine that an extra inch or two would make it impossible to turn sitting still. Anyway I've "lived with for 2 years and still think it's crap to deal with sometimes. I may try something like you have since you had good results!!! THX!!

6"Lift 35's on 20" Pro-Comp Wheels
Coming Very Soon......Spartan and some other goodies
Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 PM
ReelSlacker
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Hey bigaF250, since they are 08's was that something they took care of under warranty? (wishful thinking? )
Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
riverjet
riverjet
Member's Gallery

Mine was hard to steer for the first 30k miles..... discovered the ball joints were tight. Ford would not help me with the ball joints so I replaced with mooge joints..... problem solved. I am running stock sized tires.
2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
bigaF250
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

No it wasnt and the stupid part about it was that the reason the pump and gear box failed was cause some real professionals at the lube shop that changed my oil topped my ps fluid off with windshield wash. Even under 36k miles ford still did not waranty it. And the lube shops guys are professionals and would never do that. They told me I sabotaged my own truck
Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 PM
psdmax
Detuned
Member's Gallery

Check and make sure the u-joints in the front axles arn't froze up. My truck wouldn't steer when stopped. Both the u-joints in the front axles were frozen in the straight position. replaced them and Now it turns like a dream.

Terminator
gt38r
Stage-2 AFE
BTS
Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM
coxral
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

My truck, 99 F350, 7.3-204,500 mi., hard steer w/ 4" lift and 35's. No lift, no 35's= hard steer. Blew o-ring on return line of PS pump. Replaced and clean fluid- a little better. Noticed fluid on shaft of steering stabilizer. Replaced and much better. Don't like stiff at stand-still when trying to back up 34' 5th wheel. All good, for now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 252
$Bill, 03Excursion, 06 KR, 14SilverPlatinum, 1hydroman, 1sd, 50gstroked, 6.9turbocharged, 773, 7_three_stroker, 88automan, 89 Stroker, 89xj, 90ranajo, 97crewcab, 99.5stroker, 99coalroller, 99F250Smitty, Aaron S, ADubDiesel, AK1, All Jacked Up, almostfinished, AMB, apollyon9515, arorally, badblack01gt, baddawg, Baker82, Barnbuilder, bazdog1, BBowden73, Betaracer, bgibbs468, bhfarms, Big Mike 69, bigaF250, bigred3/4, bigrngyj, Bill R, BillyBob427, birddog55, Black04Ram, blownpickup, BMac, Bow-TechAggie, bpa658, bstein333, BUFF, Bustedknuckles, cadd, CARR, Caster, cfdeng7, chassross2003, cincinnatijeeper, Cobra 19 & 54, Cok_Diesel, copperhead99, coxral, Craiger, crowz, CYates73, Dantheman, Darell, dblamp, DEZERTCHASE, DFW64, DHTD, diesel5480, diesel78, Dieselblazer, dieseldawgsperformance, dirt devil, Double D's, doubledoor, douglasharwood, dpski, dravisat, DReese, droflakcin, dunatic, Dustin F2504x4, duxpsd, dzgrey, edge186, eleventhtruck, erikclaw, F-117HWK, Fall Guy, fenix533i, firedriver19, flocksmonster garage, florida 6.0, FLY-GUY, flyboy41, FordXtreme, FPKites, friendwithatruck,LLC, Gerard, Goose1995, Got4wd, greenbeast, greyf350, Guynormal01, harley8473, HILL631, HotRodTractor, HOWIROLL56, huck2080, HUCKit, hunter scar, IHPowerstroke7.3, JCart, JD F350, jdc753, jdg67, jeepnfool, JesterPgh, jetdok2r, jimwesselman, Jingoist, jlclark4, JMF350, John Martens, johnday, Jordy53, jtbowen31, Just1MoreTime, justintimemoto, jweeezy350, KeninAZ, kfluke, knkolega42, Kohrnholio, kolb, lanagan, Layson, LCstroker73, loc0gring0, looper, lopp, Lyrch75, Mach5Customs, MadMaxwell87, madpogue, Matt-F350, mcdaniel1991, mdgaumond, medlin80, megaduty, metalnova, micky_blue, mikemalo, minus98, mkelly, mmasters, Monstar, morepower02, motofreak341, Motomez, n20, nbr521, NEVRNF, NorCalDiesel, Okieboy32, old man dave, olsmokey, PatriotsWanted, Patrolman, PETERC, PHPDiesel, Plumbnman, PowerstrokeR00, psd kid, psdmax, pstroke96, ptanner3, Ranger50, redmist, ReelSlacker, Rhino16, riverjet, rocketron, Rollincoal97, rollin_smoke, RSHROYER, RSX628, salprofish, Savagebagz, scottjag77, scotts77, Scotty Dosent Know, sg465, shamrock, shawnberrier, Sheps0769, Silenpro, SilkE, simonsays, sirnunya, six8, SKWERL, slowleak, smokin250, sniperonhigh, snoel123, sonofahunter, spastik monkey, Specializeddieselnw, spittin dip, square1, sschwindt, StandAlone, stroked06, stroked2000, StrokerTurbo7.3, strokin'_tatsch, strokin09, Super_Hauler, t.land, tallpaul, tch.280, tdevinejr, tensixniner, theSLEEPER, thirty two, tonka350, toycrawler, TripleE44, Trublu98, turboaz2, twelch3, Vin6.0, waltenbach, WDiesel, westcoast, whitjo, whytry, willholl79, wise guy, wjamesm, xpbprox, xxxbrutusxxx, Zack1313