Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Do you have difficulty steering while stopped with NO brakes applied?

• Yes

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • somewhat

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • what are you talking about ?

Votes: 2 3.7%

Why can't I steer my truck?!

53K views 70 replies 37 participants last post by  Carver94F350 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I know that the steering in our trucks is not a new issue (steering and braking simultaneously at low speeds), but I can't believe that there is not a viable solution to the poorly engineered steering/hydra boost operation that plagues us!!!

My truck- 02 F250 7.3 (see sig) w/215K well maintained miles, all normal maintenence, no major problems, I've had my truck since new, I love and adore my truck.:bow:

My problem- truck does not steer at all while stopped with or without applying brakes or e-brake. No power steering at all while stopped, period. I have to be rolling either direction at ~3+ mph to be able to turn the wheel at all. :mad:

My problem with this problem- This may not seem like a big deal to some people, especially those that learned to drive vehicles "back in the day," when power assisted steering was not commonplace.

I have heard folks say "it is was it is, just deal with it", "that's normal", and "just don't expect steering while applying the brakes in these trucks." First, I don't accept a $40,000+ vehicle not steering easily like a Lincoln Town Car, and secondly, as I stated in the beginning of this post, I have NO STEERING at all even when the brakes are NOT being applied in any way what-so-ever.:(

I have had this problem since new, albeit, not as bad as it is now.
I noticed steering and brake whine back around 180K miles, replaced the steering pump and things were back to "normal." "Normal" was stiff steering while stopped, but I could, at least turn the wheel, with difficultly, while in parking lots with or without the brakes being applied. I just dealt with the not so great steering for the love of this truck in every other way.

I don't do heavy hauling or towing on a regular basis with this truck. I haul light bed loads of landscape/irrigation supplies occassionally in the summer, make a dozen tandem snowmachine trailer load trips per winter, and make 1-2family vacation trips of 1-2K miles per year.

I replaced all four ball joints with greaseable Moog's this Summer (~15K miles ago), have checked front u-joints, hubs, half shafts, axle seals, replaced front differential fluid, and checked and maintained all bushings/joints in steering linkage. Finally, I only have a single OEM steering stabilizer and I keep tires aired up religiously.

I have had factory 265's and replacement 285's up until 2K miles ago when I installed a 3" front/1.5" rear leveling kit with 315's on stock wheels.
Just recently, I have noticed difficult, then ultimately, no steering while stopped, even when reving the rpm's with no brakes applied.

So, I replaced the pump, checked/replaced low/high pressure hoses, checked out steering box and hydra boost unit. The steering box and hydra boost checked out fine, as did bearings in steering column/shaft. All were smooth/normal in operation throughout all diagnostic steps done by myself and Ford stealership independently. Flushed steering/hydra boost systems with Mobil 1 syn ATF, found no obstructions, no leaks, no whine or growl.:shrug:

BUT,..............STILL CANNOT STEER AT ALL WHILE COMPLETELY STOPPED WITH OR WITHOUT APPLYING BRAKES.:doh:

Sorry for the long post:blah:...but, I just want to know if someone out there has any ideas for why the steering is bad in the first place, and now is down right unacceptable in my truck. Should I just endure the expense of replacing the steering box/gears and hydra boost unit even though the gears are smooth with the front wheels off of the ground and the brakes are actually working great in my truck. And...don't forget that the stealership even says that the box and hydra boost are fine. They say to..."just live with it, it's normal to some degree.":confused:

I've read countless posts about AGR pumps, Saginaw type pumps, Redhead steering boxes, etc. But, is there any reliable, repeatable, known remedy for the steering problem that, seemingly, many folks are having in our trucks?:confused:

I know our diesels don't produce vacuum like gassers do, so how can we get more vacuum to properly operate the steering/hydra boost braking system in our trucks?!!!

I just can't accept "living with it.":mad:
I mean, really, I don't even trailer a lot...I can't see how others that hook up to a trailer for a living and recreation deal with the inferior low speed steering in our trucks.

What ideas and/or questions about this do you guys have...?
Thanks in advance!:D

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, I can steer mine lock to lock with 1 finger while at a dead stop. Pure stock steering system.

#3 ·
What size tires do you have on front?

#5 ·
I dont have any problem in any of my trucks, some of the trucks do some dont it seems. Even in my 450 with really square tires i dont have any problem. :shrug:

My buddy has a 450 also and his steering sounds a lot like yours, he has to rev the motor and put all of 280lbs in it, it makes it a pita to hook up to goodnecks when he is just a little off of center. Sorry i couldnt help.

#6 ·
Thanks for your replies.
It does seem to either affect some and not others.
And, of course, if your rolling on stocker tires, then not as many problems.

#7 ·
mine is some what like yours but im on 37s

#8 ·
I hope you find the problem, BUT mine is a one finger wonder like Andy's.

#9 ·
So far, I'm noticing that the 2wd guys are "one finger guys.":hehe:

#10 ·
Mines 4x4 and I ahve the same problem.. Replaced the Pump, and I still can't turn it while stopped..

Stock tire size and all...

Plus the brakes blow ass!!!

#11 ·
redmist,
thanks for the reply.
If your steering and brakes are crappy, even after a pump replacement, then you may want to have your hydra boost unit tested/checked out.
Have you tried Mobil 1 synthetic ATF to flush?
Bottom line- our trucks definitely have poorly engineered steering/hydraboost/braking systems IMHO.
Does anyone have any remedies or input regarding anything they've tried?:mad:

#14 ·
As I stated in OP, everything is great when the front end is off the ground.
Thanks

#13 ·
I had that problem and it turned out to be the steering stabilizer. See if its bent or crushed any.

#15 ·
Thanks for the idea...but, I disconnected the stabilizer with no improvement.

#16 ·
It's not "normal" not to be able to turn the wheel when stopped.
Where did you get your pump? Some of the box store (AZ, AA etc) parts are JUNK! One guy, some time back put on a rebuilt one from AZ that was junk from the get-go.

Either your pump is weak, or the steering gear is bad as in losing pressure internally?? If all your steering linkage is undamaged and working freely, there's nothing else it could be. The fact that it will turn freely when the wheels are off the ground when there is no resistance on the system,would indicate a weak pump or faulty gear.
I think that if the hydroboost was faulty you would have issues with the brakes.
Just in case Look here for some testing procedures for the hydroboost.

Good Luck, that has to be a PITA!

#17 ·
Thank you, my friend!
I agree, it's not normal.
The remanufactured pump is from NAPA. It's an A1 Cardone unit which may be an issue? Should I pull that pump and exchange it for another?
Could the steering gear be bad even if it steers/centers smoothly while moving >5mph with no bind, grinding, clunking, etc?
I did the procedures in the link...very helpful. But, the problem does not seem to be in the hydroboost unit.
Thanks

#20 ·
If the pressure is adequate,
what would be bypassing?

#19 ·
Here's what I would do. If you've had the pump only for a short time, pull it off and take it back and exchange it for another one.

I went through 3 reman starters and 2 reman alternators on my Jeep after I converted it to a Chevy V8. That should eliminate the pump. If that corrects it great. If not, it has to be the gear.

It will turn just fine with no load because it's essentially a manual gear. But when it's loaded....tires on the ground....if it's bad then you won't get the power assist that is created by hydraulic pressure inside the gear. There could possibly be some seals or O-rings blown or leaking internally preventing the pressure from building.

I know the gear is pricey. You might find one at the junk yard...??? Good Luck
Hope you get it figured out. I know that mine steers just fine even sitting still and I am running 35X13's on it.

#21 ·
Even my pulling truck with 1K lbs of weight on the nose would turn without too much headache until I lock the front hubs in. (welded front diff). Without the weight it would only take a finger to go lock to lock.

Good luck solving your issue, but I plan on installing a modified hyrdaboost setup on the 79 involving mostly superduty parts (and possibly a chevy steering box...)

#23 ·
If the stabilizer isnt it (yes mine turned easier when lifted with the bad stabilizer, plus the stabilizer being gone makes it turn sharper) then either replace the pump and or flush it with mobile 1 atf. I noticed a big difference when doing the mobile 1 atf switch out.

#24 ·
THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM!!! IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!! STOP THROWING MONEY AWAY!!!

Here is what is happening:

As you turn the steering wheel from left to right or right to left, the tires move in an arc, pivoting on the ball joints.

Watch the tire as you have somebody turn the wheel from one lock to the next.....better yet, put a chalk mark directly at 6 o'clock position with the wheels turned all the way to the left. With foot off of the brake, have your special someone turn the wheel to the right lock. Where is your chalk line now? It's not directly at 6 o'clock anymore is it?

The wheel has to be able to rotate slightly to move in this arc created by the pivot point that is the ball joints.

IF YOUR FOOT IS ON THE BRAKES, YOU HAVE FRICTION THAT IS NO LONGER JUST FROM TIRE SCRUB ON THE PAVEMENT BUT FRICTION FROM THE BRAKE PADS ON THE ROTORS AS WELL. IT IS A NORMAL CONDITION.

#25 ·
:confused:Thanks for your reply...I'm not disputing your statements, but I am disputing that this should be "normal."

Try to turn the front wheels of any heavy duty truck from other mfgs, and most, if not all, will have enough power to turn the wheels while at slow speeds or even if stopped. I know these trucks are heavy in the front, but so are Dodges, GM trucks, large straight trucks, and big rigs.
Therefore, none of those trucks should be able to have the operator turn the steering wheel and move the front wheels from side to side while stopped or at slow speeds (<5mph) even when not applying the brakes.
I know that it's stressful on the suspension and steering components, and it's not ideal to turn the wheels unless moving. But, there are situations that require low speed/stopped steering to be posible. And it is possible on most trucks. It was on mine up until recently...now I'm a trying to remedy the problem as my OP described.
So, no, I'm not going to accept that it is "normal" in a Ford PSD truck not to be able to turn your front wheels at low speed (<5mph) or while stopped even without applying any brakes at all.
Finally, I will add that almost 60% have indicated in the poll that they have at least some difficulty steering their trucks. So, it's not just my imagination.
:doh:

#26 ·
BS! You're exactly right. It ain't "normal" at all. Nobody wants a dam truck that won't friggin steer!
A little bit of hard steering might be normal with the PSD system but not what you are describing.

I went to the garage a few minutes ago and started my truck just for chits and grins. Sitting in the barn on a rough concrete floor with the brakes applied it turned freely lock to lock.

I know that throwing parts at it can get expensive but if it was mine, I would fix it, whatever it took!

#27 ·
Thanks whitjo,

I'm with you, I want a truck that will steer in any situation, period!
So, I'm still trying to diagnose and treat the problem.
I may exchange the recently replaced pump and/or replace the steering box.
There have been guys mention "upgraded" pumps or different style pumps, but I've yet to find any info on whether or not those options worked.
Are there any write-ups on our specific trucks' application?

#28 ·
Has anyone "upgraded" their PSD truck's steering capabilities in any way???
Anyone?:confused:

#29 ·
I'm running a PSC pump on my Jeep but it has full hydro steering, no gearbox.
They have upgraded pumps but not sure if they have one for the SD truck?
You might google them up, call and talk to Tom.

The Chevy pump I have is upgraded for pressure as well as volume. I run a high-pinion, king pin Dana 60 out of a '79 F250 with 42" Interco IROK tires.
The full hydro steers like a go-cart, unfortunately it's illegal on the street.

BTW nice Z06! I've got an '06 Z06 :bowfast:

#30 ·
I know that folks have discussed AGR super pumps, which are a sagniaw type GM pump and also Rock Ram systems. I'll have to check out the PSC products.

Thanks, mine is an 07 with the triple tint coat Atomic Orange...crazy color, gotta love it!

I also have a Jeep Rubicon w/a 5.5" RE lift and a 1.5" BL with 37" Super Swamper SSR's. I would love to do a Chevy conversion some day, or even better, a diesel conversion like AEV does. But, AEV is expensive, to say the least.

#31 ·
Do all of you guys that voted "no" in the poll have OEM size tires?

#36 ·
You do have a problem and I sure hope you get it fixed...but to your
question, YES my old truck has stock size and is two wheel drive...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.