Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

8 HOLE 255 cc INJECTORS FICM TUNED

16K views 111 replies 29 participants last post by  Power Smoker 
#1 ·
Just got the new injectors on my truck and WOW!!:evil they're stage 4 (255cc) bodies with our new 8 hole nozzles sized for a conventional stage 1 (155cc) injector with FICM tuning. I'm running a VGT H.O. turbo, supporting mods, and can hardly belive what a difference they make. We've still got some tuning and testing to do to confirm my seat-of-the-pants dyno, but it actually feels quite a bit stronger than I expected. It's like cruising around with stage 1's for the bottom 2/3 of the pedal, with VERY minimal smoke, then the top 1/3 is like BAM!!! I've got about 4.2 ms of pw at peak, and the nozzles are sized appropriately for the datalogging pulse width, so I'm "theoretically" injecting 255 cc's with a much smaller nozzle with 8, not 6 holes.

This means with ficm tuning I can have a daily drivable stage 4 injector that doesn't puke insane amounts of smoke all over the cars next to me, or get hot unless I command it to (top 1/3 of pedal). I'll keep y'all posted on my datalogging.

#4 ·
I'm still getting enough pw in the upper rpms to take advantage of both. The top end is incredibly strong. waaaay stronger than a stage 1 injector, but the roads haven't let me see if it's equal to a conventional stage 4. It is mathematically, but the datalogging will tell. I hope to have all the graphs mapped by this weekend.

#10 ·
you make it sound like you know more than the guys who designed the system I'm using. yes, I know the higher rpms won't let you spray as long as the low rpms, but there's still plenty of time to push 255 cc's out of a nozzle conventionally designed for a stage 1 injector. From what I understand a stock flowing nozzle would've been ideal, but stock flowing 8 hole nozzles are still a little ways out. Your thinking is correct that higher rpms limit usable pulse width, but if you think that isn't practical to flow that much fuel through a smaller nozzle then maybe you could explain to me how the 6.4's are able to utilize a 310 hp tune on stock injectors.:ford:FTW!!

On a side note, I still don't have all the data gathered, but so far test results are good.

#12 ·
Geeze....about time you guys get with the program.....:poke:

We've been driving our trucks around for over a year now with the same ideas you are now coming up with....LOL

It works very well for daily driving manners having smaller nozzles and FICM tuning....I know my truck sure likes it!! :D

#14 ·
:doh:LOL I figured as much. We've known about the concept for quite a while, and have over come a lot of FICM issues and programming to get where we're at. Good to hear you've been running it successfully as well. Nothing quite like reinventing the wheel, or coming out with it a while after it's been introduced. :hehe:

#19 ·
A little update: My truck used to almost maintain the conventional 255's on the insanity tune, we had to bump it down just a hair for optimum power. now at wot 3500+ rpms I'm peaking at 2700 psi with 4200 psi demanded. That tells me the injector pistons are displacing enough oil that the pump can't keep up. Man, I wish our dyno was up and running now. Definitely a strong runner... stronger than it was at weekend on the edge this summer when it dynoed 530 at Edge's facility which is about 4200 ft in elevation. Tadd's got all the programming monitored and recorded for testing, so hopefully in a couple more days we can interpret it and get more descriptive results available. I love it though, almost no smoke at all with good power unless I use the top 1/3 of the throttle, then on comes the smoke screen!

#26 ·
Well, the official results in, and we are a go for lift-off! Yep, There is sufficient pulse width at peak rpm (tested to 4300) to empty the 255 cc injector through the stage 1 nozzle. To save everyone's breath, I don't know all the math that proves the success of our ficm tuned, large bodied, small nozzled injectors, but Tadd has the formulas, and they work. I doubt he'd release the info anyway and give away the secrets. We're very excited about it, especially because it makes it possible for a truck with huge injectors (like mine) to be much more streetable while still having gobs of power. I'm sure it won't be long, and we'll have new ficm tuned injector packages available. The only down side I see to this is requiring a brand new ficm to be programmed, rather than a used one to be re-flashed. It's the only way we can get the FICMs to be reliable. Hope this is helpful to those looking for a more drivable large injector. :ford:

#28 ·
The whole point is to be able to have more control and less smoke when desired without overfueling (hence the small nozzle) and the increased volume of fuel when commanded (hence the large body with more pulse width). Pressure isn't the issue I'm concerned with. Oil pressure is just as much of a problem with these injectors as with conventional ones. What it boils down to is control. You get a nice smooth idle, minimal smoke with great drivability and relatively low egt's until you give it the onion, then you have the power of a big injector. Obviously we can't put a stock nozzle on a 430 cc injector and expect it to produce the full amount of fuel in a useful time frame. I hope this helps. If not, you'll just have to experience it for yourself.:cool:

#36 ·
i dont know the numbers but lets say 2.8 mili secs of palse width take 11 degs of timing to empty the injector before top dead center, how much timing is required to empty 4.2 mili secs of palse width. a while back people where complaining about high timing in some vendors tunes and blowing head gaskets, so how will this extra palse width and timing do to reliability. think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.