bent push tube/rod??????? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Tizzo
Member's Gallery

bent push tube/rod???????

i just bent a push tube on my 03 excursion with the 6.0...... took engine out to head stud it and put a new set of lifters in it while out.... turning over by hand it had a little hard spot, and i guess that was it bending my tube... was not much pressure at all, AT ALL and it went away thought i was ok... started with a miss, switched injectors to make sure it was injector prob and prob did not move. so i watched the rockers run, and intake on number 4 cyl was bent, but hey only 4.33 at ford and you can buy just one...hell yeah. i just want to know why it had clearance issues to begin with, new lifters, so they would not be pumped up already...
guess ill see if new one has the clearance prob also.....
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Tizzo
Member's Gallery

Re: bent push tube/rod???????

INSTALLED and done.... did not have a prob. really nice to be done with this project.....
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Chip
FREE THINKER
Member's Gallery

awesome....glad it went ok,good work.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
nitrogen
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

common cause of bent rod on diesels, creosote buildup on valve stem, its fine when its hot but after the engine cools down it kind of sets up. the valve is sluggish to return to the closed position, due to the excess valve clearance that results the pushrod can actually fall out on the top end. if tat happens and the pushrod jams on some edge things go clang. tar buildup is generally caused by excess idle time especially if the engine runs cool. the bent rods generally happen most to engines that are shut off right after a long idle, if they get driven hard enough to get the egts up, enough tar is blown out to keep it from sticking too badly. other scenario is valve is sticky and engine is gunned hard enough that the sticky valve floats long enough to receive a little lovin from Mr. Piston ending up with bent pushrod. just my 24 years of experience. thats not my age its the years of driving big rigs and seeing OTHER guys bend rods
Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Power Smoker
Power Stroke Psychiatrist
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
common cause of bent rod on diesels, creosote buildup on valve stem, its fine when its hot but after the engine cools down it kind of sets up. the valve is sluggish to return to the closed position, due to the excess valve clearance that results the pushrod can actually fall out on the top end. if tat happens and the pushrod jams on some edge things go clang. tar buildup is generally caused by excess idle time especially if the engine runs cool. the bent rods generally happen most to engines that are shut off right after a long idle, if they get driven hard enough to get the egts up, enough tar is blown out to keep it from sticking too badly. other scenario is valve is sticky and engine is gunned hard enough that the sticky valve floats long enough to receive a little lovin from Mr. Piston ending up with bent pushrod. just my 24 years of experience. thats not my age its the years of driving big rigs and seeing OTHER guys bend rods
You shoud share your wisdom more often Mr. nitrogen
Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
blue99sd
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I just did a set of head gaskets on an 04' 6.0 and bent the same one.
K&n air filter
cc mod
Beans stage II 120hp injectors
Beans D66 turbo
ITP regulated return
updated ecm (2000 model)
reburned TS chip- 25,high idle,60,100,120,140hp
Dyno #'s 360hp and 965 ft lbs trq
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Tizzo
Member's Gallery

and did you just put a new one in and in and it went okay? i could not sleep when i figured out that was my miss prob. i kept thinking ok, thats bent and why i have a miss, but why did it bent in first place??????
but it works now so o well.....
Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 PM
nitrogen
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

we se every now and then on semis, someone leaves it on low idle( instead of revved up to 1000) overnight or maybe 2-3 days if your stuck somewheres for a weekend, and then they shut it off and it cools down. now if they had driven a couple hundred miles before they shut it off the odds of this drop to almost 0

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 19
04f3506.0, 1995f350, boosted93cobra, bulldog01, Carry Big Stick, Dieselboy740, ernieb143, Ian123, Johnboy3, ksieckmann, makaveli200369, outalinecowboy, seriousdiesel, smokie07, snagalittle, strokeit06, Strokin304, svilla, ununited11