Engine Restore? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 6.9 - 7.3L IDI Diesels 83-93 Model Years
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Nitro Blazer
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Engine Restore?

Anyone put this in their IDI? It's got a warning on it about Powerstrokes. I looked around and found that it clogs up the injectors and high pressure pump and all kinds of bad stuff on those.

I can't see why it would mess up one of these old mechanical engines but I'd like to get some feedback before i do it.

I've used it in almost all my old gasoline trucks and it really made a difference in them, especially my '94 Bronco, that thing came alive after an oil change with Syntec and Engine Restore.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 AM
jroller
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: Engine Restore?

Its snake oil dont believe me call you favorite oil manufacture, find out what they think. Some of these guys have even had lawsuits brought against them for there claims. Car and Driver replicated the Slick50 advertisement where they treated one engine with the oil additive and one without, drained both oils and the one that was treated didnt last more than 30 seconds, which is the exact amount of time the untreated engine ran.

This Myth was busted awhile ago, so save your money and just put good old oil in your engine, not one car manufacture in the world has ever recommended putting oil additives in there engines. They should know.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
jdc753
6Leaker
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

I used it a few times on a small 4-cylinder plymouth to get rid of what seemed like a lifter tick. It definetly worked for me. Was noticable withought it and smoothed out with it. I think I would use marvel mystery oil instead for the same results.

The idi shouldn't have the problem the powerstrokes would have since the oil in an idi 4,000psi or anything.
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 AM
OldSchool101
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

If you are going to use anything as a oil additive, use Lucas Oil Stabilizer, I've found that this works best in a diesel. It will also help keep the oil particles together if the oil gets somewhat burnt. Have never seen anything bad come from this product. Its only about $10 a quart at most auto parts stores. It will help ticks, low oil pressure, and also lubricate the top end.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:08 AM
OVERSTROKED
Team Truckless Beer Man!
Member's Gallery

I have used it in a few old gas trucks but would make it my last resort. It did cure the lifter ticks i was getting out of them and slowed a few of the oil leaks down too but like I said last resort for sure

Special thanks to Brian at BTS and Jonathan & Dave at SWAMPS for all there help for the 06,07, and 08 pulling seaon's.

4th in points for 08 in the Central Ohio Truck Pull Circuit Pro Street 3.0 class
Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 AM
tughill283
oil burner
Member's Gallery

i dont know bout the lucas stuff but ive used the stp oil treatment in a gas motor.its like pouring molasses into your engine to take up the clearances between worn out parts.

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
Old 11-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

I used the ENGINE RESTORER in my 96 ford probe. It was using a quart to a quart and a half between oil changes. No it doesn't use any
Old 11-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Aljay
Don't EFN worry about it
Member's Gallery

Just a Band Aid. I don't beleive in mechanic in a can fixes.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:31 PM
nasty96
That thing got a Cummins?
Member's Gallery

I have seen what can happen with engine treatment. It can coat everything and plug up stuff it shouldn't. If you have alot of oil use/ticks, I'd try a little heavier oil or live with it untill you can rebuild/replace the engine. Otherwise leave it alone, you may end up doing more harm than good.

1996 F350 CCLB 4x4 Broke Built Auto

2000 Dodge 3500 5 Speed 4x4 450k and Counting

2001 Dodge 3500 6 speed 4x4 Fully loaded
Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Wollffy
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I have a rebuild that was just done. I have an oil leak by the oil cooler on the drivers side. What could be missing? I built crank pressure getting ready for virgin start, and found this...

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 13
Clint39, dieselman, Drzronnie, Dustin F2504x4, Etcetera, lincolnlocker, majwild1, monster-energy-825, Nitro Blazer, obspsd, SNR, truckpullin_75, txgp17