Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How do I change a rear axle seal ?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  me2 
#1 ·
My truck has a leaking rear axle seal.

I pulled the axle and couldn't figure out how to get the wheel bearing nut out.

I looked in a Chilton's manual and it says I need a special socket for the wheel bearing nut and a puller to get the hub off.

How big should the puller be ? 2 jaw ? 3 jaw ? Hydraulic ?

What is the special socket called ? Where does one get one ?

Thanks

#3 ·
I got my 4 tang hub nut socket from Carquest or you can rent it.I didn't need the hub puller,but if you do get the three jaw puller.

#6 ·
I was wondering why it would be leaking. I also have a sound and vibration coming from my diff. That might be it. Hopefully so.

Thanks for the tip.

#8 ·
Is there 1 or 2 bearings that need to be changed ? The parts guy doesn't have the inner bearing, says they rarely give trouble. He has the outer bearing.

#11 ·
:whs:

#10 ·
Good advice. Thanks for sharing.

It would be great if that cured the noise in my diff.

#12 ·
Not sure what year model truck you have.........these pics are from a 1999.

The nut may be a reverse thread........I can't remember.

There is an oring here you might want to inspect while its apart.

Pulling the hub........

The old axle seal may separate in to two halves when you pull the hub off......if so get both pieces off.

When you put it all back together don't forget to torque the axle bolts down and or use some locktite. Don't ask me how I know this.

Tbar

#13 ·
The nut is not a reverse thread.

#14 ·
Excellent info, guys. Thanks.

I got the seal, both bearings and a socket for the nut yesterday. I'll be finishing up my air ride suspension and fixing the seal issue over the next couple days.

#16 ·
The nut on passenger side was right handed. (Righty tighty, lefty loosey.)

It took 4 trips to the parts store (1 to Ford and 3 to another) to get the right seal. It looks like Ford gave me a front seal. The first trip to the parts store gave me a seal for an 11.25" axle. Then next trip found they were out of stock of the 10.5" seal, even though I called and they said they would have it. The 4th trip I got it.

Installation was easy. I didn't need a hub or bearing puller. I jacked the diff way up on the side I was working (let air out of the airbag) and didn't loose much diff fluid.

The brakes and rim were disgustingly dirty. Lots of scraping and cleaning to get them nice again.

I didn't replace the bearings. I inspected them and found all the rollers to be good and reinstalled the hub without the seal and checked for noises, etc. Everything seemed fine.

I think my seal just plain wore out. There was a lot of grit on the axle tube and the combination of grit and usage just wore away the rubber until it started leaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.