Us powerjokes can't touch this...

16K views 74 replies 37 participants last post by  Mac 
#1 ·
lol maybe if we were 4500 lbs

See less See more
#3 ·
Damn....We need more info.

#4 ·
Yeah, it needed rubber freeze plugs. LOL Definately still very impressive though. First 9 second diesel was a Ford. :ford:

#6 ·
I would love to get to check out that truck in person. Wonder what mods they had done to it. Compression must have been dropped WAAAAY down.

I still love seeing that truck get brought up, wasn't it in the 9s or something? EDIT: Danny beat me to it.

#7 ·
Dont know much on the info maybe google it? there was a thread on compd about it a while back i think.

#8 ·
IIRC It was a hypermax build

#10 ·
I know JQmile (Jason Sands with Diesel Power mag) on CompD had stated that it was just sitting in the owners yard doing nothing now. I sent him a pm asking if there was a way to get in touch with them but he never replied. :shrug:

#12 ·
Wonder if there is anyway to track it down through the hypermax guys or something. Sure would be cool for someone to get ahold of it and restore it to its glory days.

Diesel sports are relatively young, least in a big scope, gotta start preserving the history and good to see Ford's where right there at the beginning

#13 ·

Found this while looking up some stuff on it :

Originally Posted by Dirk
I'm sorry. Not a 10sec idi, apparently it's in the 9's.

All credit goes to Saber123316

Apparently...

according to various sources Max Legold created the first 9 second diesel pickup out of a IDI 7.3 back in the early 90's.

so...

Putting my investigative work to the test I e-mailed Hypermax.

I got this:

Re: indirect injection 9 second diesel from the early 90's‏
Sent: December 5, 2008 4:44:29 PM
To: Jordan

We did build a coupleAll the info was given in the article it was an inline pump with 2 turbos Thanks

------Original Message------From:
Jordan Greenling
To: info@gohypermax.com
Sent: Dec 5, 2008 10:00 AM
Subject: indirect injection 9 second diesel from the early 90's

In a diesel world article it said that Max Legold (sorry if I don't have the correct spelling) built a hotrod Diesel truck that made huge power and did 9 second passes the engine was orginally ment for sled pulling but got banned and then became a drag racing vehicle. I just wanted to know if this was correct and if I could get information on it.

So it was P-pump twin turbo 7.3 IDI.

putting the investigative work a little further... I found pictures.

#15 ·
Well the mechanical powerstrokes are much stronger. Read somewhere the truck had 15to1 compression.

#16 ·
Stuff I was reading was showing 9.something:1 compression. Had to be cranked on ether.

#17 ·
Thought it should be lower, and also heard motor flexed as much to split the motor?

#23 ·
It had rubber freeze plugs because of all the flex. Hadn't heard anything about it splitting though.

#20 ·
It was mentioned in Diesel power a year back i believe when they did the IDI article....

#25 ·
P-pumped, don't know if it's actually IDI (in every sense of the word). Have to see the heads, pistons in person to believe that, we'll see.........
those were my other thoughts. Getting rid of the pre combustion chambers sure would take a lot of work, but I think it would be necessary to actually burn the fuel necessary to make those power numbers without a total complete meltdown of the motor.

#26 ·
just ran across this following a link from another thread, not sure how old this thread is. but damn, thats impressive. does anyone have more info on this truck?

#27 ·
I talked to one of the owners of the truck. He said it was a 7.3l sleved down to a 6.9. It was mechanically injected, spun 6000rpm and had stock rods and crank. Most of the work was in the heads. The hardest part was keeping the block from flexing. He said they had a girdle on it that was 8" thick. The truck had a camaro front frame section on it, a 9" rear end, and a full roller C6 transmission. He said that they had no problems with the stock crank and rods, they just couldn't keep the block straight. There were a few that lost the back cylinders, misc splits, you name it. And yes, it was in the 9's.

#29 ·
The original thread about this truck (CompD) where I THINK someone from Diesel Power talked to them said it ran 9's.

#31 ·
unless his 60's were like 3 sec. ... what kinda rear suspension did it have? tires?

#34 ·
someone neds to step up and buy this it a piece of diesel history

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.