Interesting GPR Problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 AM
my66coupe
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Interesting GPR Problem

Ok 96 F250 7.3L
Stock as a rock.

Terrible cold starts. Key on, the gpr clicks to life. After start up, my GPR clicks like a clock rhythmatically every second or so. A nice audible click that can be felt if you put your hand on the actual relay. I measured voltage, And it fluctuates on both post from 12-14 each click. I replaced the relay and had the same issue.

any ideas? IDM/PCM sending some funky signals?
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Reubine
6.4's are my Hero.
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Reubine
Re: Interesting GPR Problem

Our old idi truck does the same thing, but starts fine?? Good-luck! Reuben
'95 Ford F-350, CC,4x4,SWAMPS 300/200Hybrids,H-11 Head studs,Comp 910 Springs,Chromemoly push rods,modded TE 17*, GARRETT GT40 TURBO,built trans with 3 disc billet convertor,SWAMPS 6 position chip,3"DP to 6" single, IDM Mod,Gauges,'02 SD IC,Electric Fuel system and bunch of other stuff.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 AM
tughill283
oil burner
Member's Gallery

i let my glow plugs go through the full cycle and right when they shut off i turn the key and she fires right up,you must have some bad glow plugs.im not sure if that would cuase the irregular cycling after start up.

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 AM
moremph
2Cruel
Member's Gallery

the old idi trucks were suppose to do that on off clicking by desighn, They used a 6volt glow plug that was having 12 volts applied to them so if they did this for more then about 5 seconds they would fry the glowplugs. Thats why you would have so many glow plug failures on the older truck the relays would stick on and fry em all. The 94.5+ have 12 volt glow plugs that why they stay on for 30-60 seconds all the time. You definatly have a controler or relay problem id start disecting wireing back to the pcm or try swapping pcms

Travis

Powerstroke Everywhere
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 AM
my66coupe
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Where is the GPR controller?

I wouldnt care about the problem but unlike your obs, it doesnt fire up perfectly every time. Tons of white smoke and long crank....GPR is doing its general function, just erratic voltage spikes, clicking.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:47 AM
madpogue
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Hmm, could the alternator be putting out fluctuating voltage? Try lighting it off, wait for the PCM to cycle off the glow plugs (2 minutes-ish?), and check the battery voltage then.

Edit: 'Course, that wouldn't explain the white smoke at start-up. That, AFAIK, is a pre-start GP issue of some sort. Have you checked the voltage drop at the GP relay pre-start? One thing you might try - unplug all but one valve cover connection, pull the #22 fuse, turn the key to RUN, then go back under the hood and push in the #22 fuse and immediately check the voltage drop at the relay. This will be with just two GPs connected. Then pull the relay (plugging / unplugging the relay is just a simpler way of testing, rather than running back into the cab to turn the key), disconnect that one VC connector, and connect another one. Test again. Do this with all four, each just one connector connected at a time. If you see a major difference in the voltage drop with one of them, that narrows down a possible bad GP, or bad wiring to it.

Have you ohm-ed out the GPs at the valve cover connectors?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 PM
my66coupe
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I checked ohms today and found the entire passenger bank is dead and one gp on the driver side registered at .9.... wierd though, I contacted the injector pins and didnt get a reading?

Truck runs great after it finally gets going...but im thinking i have a few bad UVCH and gps....
Old 10-29-2009, 12:40 AM
blageurt
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Smell the oil cap . . . If there is a slight burn't plastic smell the UVC harnesses and maybe even the gasket itself where the connectors pass through are toasted . . . You need to ohm the GP's by themselves , without connectors or harnesses for a more interpretive reading . . .
95 E350 Cargo, E4OD , B/M aluminium Pan / 2 HD Trans coolers , Dana 60FF 3:55 , 140 V idm , Autometer guages , TDEO Dp flashed 60 Tow , EBPV delete , BB shim , cat sleeps with the fishes, Timbren SES, stage 1's coming soon
Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 AM
nashvillebill
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

The PCM is actually the GPR controller. Power goes from fuse #22 to one post of the GPR's solenoid coil (that wire is always energized). The other post of the coil is wired directly to the PCM. When it's cold, the PCM grounds the coil wire, which makes the GPR come on.
'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM
cbuttre835
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Both my 97s will cycle the glow plugs. They will pull in at idle and hold for 30-60 sec, but if you apply throttle they begin to cycle, per the ammeter. I am thinking about wiring in to the circuit to make that stop. Dimming / brightening headlights drive me nuts.

Replace the GPR anyway, use a Napa GPR-109. little different mounting but a good relay, and only about 18 bucks. I replace them once a year now, need it or not.

Good set of GPs pull about 100 amps initially, then settle to 60-70....
Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Big Bird
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuttre835 View Post
Both my 97s will cycle the glow plugs. They will pull in at idle and hold for 30-60 sec, but if you apply throttle they begin to cycle, per the ammeter. I am thinking about wiring in to the circuit to make that stop. Dimming / brightening headlights drive me nuts.

Replace the GPR anyway, use a Napa GPR-109. little different mounting but a good relay, and only about 18 bucks. I replace them once a year now, need it or not.

Good set of GPs pull about 100 amps initially, then settle to 60-70....
what did you do with the ceramic piece attached to both big terminals?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 PM
cbuttre835
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

haven't seen such, on either truck. Mounting difference is that it's turned a quarter turn. have to adjust the wiring to fit the right lugs.

Power hot (large), GP hot (2 large under one lug), relay coil side hot (small), and ground to PCM (small) are all I had. 5 wires on 4 ring terminals.

Yours a California truck? They take a different GPR, have a different PCM...
Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 AM
Big Bird
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

darn that is what I was afraid of... the GPR on my truck looks just like a 110, but the wiring is all weird. yep it is a cali truck.

if you have a different number that for a 97 cali truck, could you give it to me, as napa only seems to show the 110.

p.s. sorry to hyjack the thread.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
pjwoolw
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

The relay is the same regardless if it is a Cali or 49 state truck. The Cali trucks have a shunt that separates the right and left bank of the GPs so the PCM can monitor them separately.

The 109 relay is really meant for the IDI trucks. The 100 and 111 relays (I presume) are nitrogen filled like the OEM relay on these rigs.
1986 F250 6.9 XLT Gone but not forgotten

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 15
7.3 Powered, btowngills, bull7467, dburress, dirt devil, Dirtyboy82, EverettWV, Jon4nier, joshua.a.rackley, junior88, PSDfan99, ShogunRider, steve426, t.land, Weldon