Water in fuel light - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:49 AM
bigrob54
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Water in fuel light

Hey guys
I have a question about my truck, its an 04 king ranch with the 6.0 and the water in fuel light has just started to come on in the last two days. i filled the tank up and put some power service cetane boost in. What confuses me is the light will come on but it will only stay light for about 5 mins or so. Why??
Also, ive tried draining the seperator on the frame and for some reason i cannot find the right size allen wrench to take out the plug and im really afraid of stripping it. Does anyone know the actual size??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 03:41 PM
pwstroke199
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: Water in fuel light

i think its either a 6mm or 7mm i want to say 7. some one here will chime in.

04 f250 5in stacks.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Steamfighter
Steamfighter
Member's Gallery

Pull the sensor and clean it while your under there . a friend of mine had a problem with his and when we pulled the sensor it was NASTY . Real easy to clean a and put back .

2005 F250 OVERLOADED WORK HOSS
Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 AM
pistolpete837
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

it is size 6, sometimes you have to drain it several times to get it all out
Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
jdc753
6Leaker
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

definitely 6mm allen mine is locked in pretty solid and I think I am going to be pulling the entire unit off the frame to get the plug out without cracking the case.

If your interested Ford now has a tool-less drain plug that they use on the LCF trucks, Diesel Technician Society
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Blow-n-Smoke
No Hole Too Deep or Slopy
Member's Gallery

mines a 6mm and deffinatly clean the sensor if u drain it and it comes on again, mine was a little gunked up and thats what cause the light not water
Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 PM
03SVTcobra
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Its a 6mm....the tool-less ones like on the LCF and 6.4L are junk....best bet is to modify a long allen key (cut the short end a little shorter) which will make clearance between the pump and 4x4 drive shaft easier. I take a piece of brake line that is curved at the end (points right at the sensor) and blow air through it at the sensor to clean it off and the rest of the housing inside. I always replace the fuel filters (even if its a little before they are due) when the water seperator has to be drained.

03 Black SVT cobra (wkend warrior) - ported SC, pulleys, built IRS (no wheel hop!!)and front suspension, and more...586rwhp, 611rwtq, 10.889 sec@121 mph

WTB: 2005-2007 6.0L!!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 PM
jdc753
6Leaker
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SVTcobra View Post
Its a 6mm....the tool-less ones like on the LCF and 6.4L are junk....best bet is to modify a long allen key (cut the short end a little shorter) which will make clearance between the pump and 4x4 drive shaft easier. I take a piece of brake line that is curved at the end (points right at the sensor) and blow air through it at the sensor to clean it off and the rest of the housing inside. I always replace the fuel filters (even if its a little before they are due) when the water seperator has to be drained.
really? they are junk?

I just changed to one, mostly because the old plug had to be destroyed to get it out, and since I thought it would be easier to have something I could get a good bite on if things get fouled up again.

I don't think the pervious owner ever drained the pump on my truck and by the time the light came on it was too frozen solid to even budge. Impact gun with a 6mm key in it just stripped the plug, ended up drilling it out, and then after all that had to scrape at the sides of the opening to clean all the oxidation and junk out of it so the new plug would actually seal.

Inside around the drain and sensor had TONS of rusty gunk in it which looked like it cause the plug to basically fuse to the cover.

On the plus side I can now pull the HFCM in maybe 10 minutes, might actually be faster to pull it to change the filter
Old 12-08-2009, 03:36 AM
b.crow_68
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Having the same problem with my 08. Are the sensors hard to get out???
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Pony_Kegger
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

well the plug is a 6mm but it will not most likely come out. if you do get it out then you are good. go to ford and get the new steel one. if not then you will need the little side cover that the lines go into. but it will have the new steel plug in it. the tooless ones are junk dont get one.
2003 Std Longbed 5sp, AirDog, Smarty TNT-R, Dual CP3s, FTE 250hp Nozzles, Fluidamper, 110# Valvesprings, Pushrods, Valair Clutch With Billit Input Shaft, 64/71/13/ over 91mm/HT4C Twins, Head Studs, Boost, Rail pressure, Fuel pressure, Egt, Water Injection, 1550 U-Joints

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 53
03f3fitty, 06amarillo, 6pStroke0, 84mudder, 94idi, adamquintonMDP, afFORDable, baxdoc, bigrob54, Blue Wave 22, BullfrogJohnson, calvin, Clag93, cygnus, Duck7487, duggywuggy08, Dustin F2504x4, ed3196499, gaf350, gman77, Heavy_Duty, hzippere, Igotstroked, jfurr11, jhes160, jobsi, johnl45, Johntheteacher, lancer, leroynasty, ltski315, Mad Max, Micah99PSD, MikeDually, mjc, oldblue96, Rcmx88, RedPreacher, Rohan, sabola1, sanfran, Savier, scottrace1, sean mac, smokin250, strokeit06, Stroking6.7, sunsetmazdacs, therabbittree, thirty two, turbotibbo, wholesalemotorsports, ZCMiller