Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Pitmant Arm Issue...I think

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  tmillburg 
#1 ·
I think I've narrowed down my front end "clunk" but would like anther opinion.

Here is what i've checked.

-Checked ball joints, no movement, these were just changed anyway
-Jockeyed wheel side to side and up and down, no movement in tie rods etc.
-Jockeyed the steering wheel back and forth and there is slight movement in the pitmant arm end link, and a slight clunk.

So I think that is my issue, but the clunk comes just while going over good bumps and not really from turning the wheel during normal driving.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
You mean moving the truck in the forward/backward directions? Is so, no it doesn't.

Only noticeable on good size bumps.

The only thing i saw movement and heard slight noise when moving the steering wheel quick side to side was the pitmant arm

#5 ·
Just so i get this right, what is the part that I need actually called.

It is the bushing that connects to the end of the pitman arm, it's the shorter end of the threaded piece where you can adjust the position of your steering wheel. Just don't remember what it's called. You can get each end of that rod separately correct, the short and the long piece separately?

#8 ·
It's called the drag link. Also check the track bar bushings.
I had a clunk and discovered that the track bar bushing were shot and one end
of my sway bar end link was a little loose.

#7 ·
Doakster if its just clunking over bumps and your steering is normal its your swaybar end link bushings they are shot.

Extremely common on a 99-04 truck. Get replacements from energy suspension for about 40 bucks

#12 ·
Interesting...but i do think it's the drag link where is connects to the pitman arm because i can have someone in the cab shacking the wheel side to side and see move plus hear a clunk in the drag link, so at worst that needs to be replace, i think that will solve my problem, but if it doesn't i'll keep looking for the issue. I know it's not by ball joints, just replaced them and they are tight.

#13 ·
Mine clunks when someone turns the wheel but without the tires moving. Its the steering box thats shot on mine.

#14 ·
Turned out to not be the drag link, replaced the drag link section by the pitman arm (still hade some decent movement), clunk was still there.

Turns out one of the bushings on my driver side stabilizer bar end link is bad and has movement. Going to replace that maybe tomorrow or monday.

#15 ·
Good luck with it. Im inside right now getting another pack of cigs where Im tracking down noises on mine.

Tightening the steering box a tad more now. Found out my roar is a bad wheel bearing.

#16 ·
Driver side stablizer bar end link replaced, bushings were pretty warn/sloppy.

No more clunk. Boy that was annoying driving around for months like that.

#17 ·
someone wanna throw me some help. i need to put all new bushings and joints in my front end.

upper/lower ball joints.
pitman arm ball joint
wheel bearings

am i missing something
thanx

#18 ·
How do you know you need all new everything on your front end? I'd recommend doing the following first.

Check Ball Joints.
- Done by jacking up the individual wheels, put a pry bar under the tire, pull up and down and look for ANY movement in the ball joints, replace if any movement.

Check Drag Link Bushings (one connects to pitman arm, other end to steering knuckle)
-Done by having someone turn the wheel back and forth and look for movement at either end of the drag link, excessive movement should not be present.

Check Tie Rod Bushings
-Done by jacking up the wheels, grab the wheel by hand and try to turn back and forth at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions. You may have a little movement but not too much, have someone look at the tie rod ends and check for movement.

Check Stablizer Bar End links.
-Get under the truck and grab the stabilizer bar, pull up and down fairly hard, check for movement in the bushings of the drag links, do this for both sides of the stablizer bar

Check Wheels Bearings.
-Jack up the wheels, try to move the wheel at the 12 & 6 o'clock positions, should have no movement, maybe just a little, if a wheel bearing is going bad it will hum. Wheels bearing are can only be replaced by purchasing the entire hub assembly, they come installed into the hub already, they are pricing and if you can avoid replacing them just cause that do so. I inspected mine when i disassembled for my ball joint replacement, they were good, all i did was apply new grease to the bearings.

Check Track Bar Bushings.
-Grab on to the track bar ends and move back and forth, no movement should be present.

I think i covered everything on the front end unless anyone else can think of something to check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.