Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

another headgasket

4K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Sea97Stroker 
#1 ·
same head as last time, 12 hooks later after new gaskets, decked the heads, made sure block was straight, re used the arps.. head lifted again, this 3 weeks after live tuned with cylinder pressures in check by swamps

#8 ·
Joe did the whole head lift last time or did the gasket blow out in a spot just out of curiousity?

Tom

#21 ·
I would throw another stocker in there and h-11's.You have to figure also that you are not getting any miles on them to seal right like they would after 10,000 miles or so.The truck only sees a few minutes and thats it.So what 100 miles tops for the hec k of it is still not crap for the gasket to bond properly.And I would say the arps are toast and thats what caused the first blow out.

#22 ·
Before you take that head off, if you havent already, retorque the studs in that area where the gasket has blown. Like said, maybe the ARP's are stretching, close to snapping when you torqued them and they just stretched enough to lift the corner just enough to pop the gasket. Just an idea.

#23 ·
Do you happen to replace the dowl pins when you install the new headgasket???

I had a issue with mine and come to fine out the second time it blew i noticed the head gasket was not setting on the block right(off center), due to the dowl pins jacked up.

#24 ·
I was there watching Joe pull when this happend... Even I got a sick feeling when it happend. The truck was pulling strong as you can see in the video.

There was a lot of trucks braking parts that day.

#31 ·
have them measure piston protrusion on that bank of 4 cylinders.

stock piston protrusion is typically .020" - .035" above the block deck surface...

if you have any "shorties" in there (no or minimal protrusion)...then yank it...and I'll shoot you up a rod or three..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.