Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Lifted trucks CAN tow!!

10K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave R 
#1 ·
I went and got me a new toy yesterday. We bought a 29foot Jayco Eagle camper and it weighs 7488 dry. My beast handled it from Longmont to Cheyenne but it does need a bit of help. Look at the lack of squat!!!

It needed a 14" drop hitch which cause a rotational issue when the load levelers were applied.

My remedy is going to be strut supports from the bottom of the drop, up to both frame rails for triangulated support . I was going to take the camper to Cali next week but don't have the time to get the bars made up and get it all adjusted by the time I go so I'll just leave it and get ready for winter.

On a side note. I had a head wind that most of us here in Wyo can relate to and I had to maintain most of the 70 mile trip shifting from 3rd to 4th to eliminate the surge and to keep the EGT's under 1100. I didn't like seeing it get up there, so...........

A 38R and some bigger injectors are going to happen. I think I have the racecar sold so I'll get what I need with that money and my 63 Galaxie project sale. Anybody looking for a DOHC 32 valve 281 with a 4R70W and full wiring/comp setup for trade???

Can't wait to get the hitch supported and camp now.

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Truck looks bad ass with a trailer behind it! the support rods should get rid of your problem. I wish I could lift my truck like your's, but with a fifth wheel it aint going to happen. Hane fun with the new toy:D

#4 ·
If my truck was lower, I would have gotten a 5th wheel but this'll do because the boys love the truck to death. We're getting an Expedetion to double duty tow too so the 5th would only work with one of our rigs. This way we can use either.

I don't see the pic of the hitch but if it's a purchased setup complete, it's surely too expensive for me. I'll check them out for sure but would probably just use some of their design ideas. I talked with my local welding shop who built my 6000lb drop and we have a plan for the strut supports. I personally like the fact that I can tell people that I have custom made stuff that works just as much as the OTS stuff. My racecar is based on some OTS designs and some of my own ideas and it turned out great with me doing all the work.

I'd make these struts too but I don't have a stick welder and I'll need more than 1/8th steel for this surely.

Thanks for the complements and suggestions guys. Always appreciated.

Dave

Of course after I post, the X dissappears and I can see it. That's the type of setup I'm talking about but mine will be struts from the hole in the drop just under the assembly. This way I can adjust anyways because I might go with some better gears and 40's now that I found a set of E rated ones. Thanks for the pic.

#7 ·
That one up one does look nice as I stated before but I'm doing the same thing essentially for less. Thanks

If it weren't for Wyoming and Colorado million mph winds, it wouldn't be an issue to lift the 5th wheel. We're happy now and could consider stepping up later.

Thanks
Dave

#9 ·
We are planning on that in about 2 weeks if my Stang sells as planned. We needed a bigger truck than her Tahoe anyways because of my ever growing family.

#12 ·
Thanks guys. I'm getting the hitch setup supported for the flexing and will consider the strut bars as a second fix if needed. Looking at the support for the hitch that I have planned, it looks like a really great setup and will get the job done. I wish i had a 2.5" setup on it but the truck has it's own limitations which are at the hitches limits other than the 13-15% tongue load. This trailer is as much as I'm going with an extra 1200lbs max so this setup will do.

That is a nice looking house on wheels. I wish the wife could handle living in a toy hauler while we were out riding. She's spoiled and needs a nice "home" feel.

We're looking for a nice clean Excursion if anyone knows of any that will be for sale in 3-4 weeks. I'm still working this hitch issue though so I can use either to tow it. The other vehicle will tow the small trailer with our soon to have 4 wheelers.

Thanks all
Dave

#14 ·
Our trucks are around the time Ford realized they need to catch up on towing capacity. You probably have a hitch that your receiver slot is welded directly into the big cross bar. Mine is an addition underneath the crossbar and has reinforcement plates on it. It'll be much stronger when it's done.

I notice on newer trucks, they have the direct insertion design with 1250 tongue weight.

My drop is stupid heavy and long too.

#16 ·
I

On a side note. I had a head wind that most of us here in Wyo can relate to and I had to maintain most of the 70 mile trip shifting from 3rd to 4th to eliminate the surge and to keep the EGT's under 1100. I didn't like seeing it get up there, so...........

A 38R and some bigger injectors are going to happen. I think I have the racecar sold so I'll get what I need with that money and my 63 Galaxie project sale. Anybody looking for a DOHC 32 valve 281 with a 4R70W and full wiring/comp setup for trade???

Can't wait to get the hitch supported and camp now.

Dave

Why not just get a ported housing to get rid of the surge, once I did that
I have plenty of power. No reason to stop at 1100, can go all the way
to 1250 before you need to back off. I am pulling almost 3000lbs more
than you with no issues.. Maybe it is TDP tunes that make the difference??

I had almost no power if I was trying to keep the surge down, now I can
hit it with no issues..

#18 ·
I went with the 38R for more than just the surging issues. I wanted more power, ball bearings, the turbine enlarged, the compressor bigger and the big throat housing too. I'm not into buying a $300-$400 part for a turbo that probably needs rebuilt.

I have no other hot rods or toys running now so i need more out of this one to get me my power fix. Besides, I need all the help I can get if I do go with the 40" tires. This turbo, new injectors and some 4.30's or steeper gears will do the trick.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.