Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ball joint replacement

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  posbronc 
#1 ·
Getting ready to do the balljoints and bearings.

I'm pretty sure I'm good to go, but I wanted to use this write-up for pointers

http://seven.three.superdutypsd.com/index.php?pr=Ball_Joint_Write_Up

However, it doesn't seem to work on my computer. Not sure if my comp is blocking it or if it is not up anymore? Does anyone have the balljoint write-up that I can access?

Also, does anyone have the correct torques listed for the front end? I'll keep looking for the torques--i know I've seen them before--just didn't recognize all the names.

Thanks in advance.

BTW-working on a dually, so I need the torques fort he dually hub extensions too:(

#3 ·
Hmmm-must be my work blocking it. The link you have works for me though.:confused:

Also, for anyone else who looks - I found the torques I was looking for but have a question about the tech manuals listed on this site.

For the Bearing to knuckle nuts - in the torque table at the beginning of the chapter, it is listed as 55lbft, however in the diagram in the directions for removing /installing the wheel bearing it shows 130lbft. I am leaning towards the 130, but was wondering what the 55lbft was supposed to be for?

The other torques I looked up in case anyone ever does a quick search were:

Disc brake caliper anchor plate bolt - 166lbft
front wheel hub extender nuts (dually) - 130lbft
front disc brake shield screws - 98inlbs
upper balljoint - 101lbft
lower balljoint - 101lbft
ABS bolt - 71lbft
tie rod end - 52 lbft

Those are what I will be using for the 4x4 F350. If any look way off, please let me know...

#4 ·
For the balljoints use the specific torquing sequence and values provided by the manufacturer if they are not OEM.

#8 ·
Well--that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Everything came apart easier than I expected for a Northeastern truck, and used a press for a lot of the work on the balljoints and seals. Of course, as I was putting it back together the same day, had to stop and take care of other stuff, but don't see an issue with finishing it off once time permits.

Thanks for all the helpful info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.