Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

HEAVY duty trailer tire info

8K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Cuzmail 
#1 ·
I've seen alot of people asking about trailer tires over the years, load ratings, best tire, etc, etc, etc.

Here's some of the info I've compiled, and a awesome supplier.

www.easternmarine.com have load ranges all the way up to "H" 6,005lbs.

Here's a link to some normal size, heavy load tires.

When considering a trailer tire, here are a few important things to look at.

TIRE CONSTRUCTION TYPE - Bias Ply vs. Radial
TIRE APPLICATION TYPE - (ST) Special Trailer vs. (LT) Trailer
TIRE SIZE - % of section height / section width Refereed to as 'Aspect Ratio'
TIRE LOAD RANGE - Load carrying capacity and air pressure rating

::::NOTES:::

Inflation

Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.

Load Capacity:

The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight(GVWR) by 20 percent.

Speed

All "ST" & "LT" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

Time

In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

These 'Special Trailer' (ST) tires have been constructed for better high speed durability and bruise resistance under heavy loads. Trailer tire construction varies substantially from automotive tires, therefore it is essential to choose the correct tire for your towing application. In general, trailer tires have the same load range (or ply) from bead to bead and are bias ply construction. This allows for a stiffer side wall which provides safer towing by helping to reduce trailer sway problems.The use of (LT) tires offer a wide range of specialized trailer tires for heavy loads on average sized wheels. LT doesn't not mean "light truck".

The use of 'Passenger Car' (P) is not recommended for towing because their construction, they normally do not have the sidewall plys, or weight rating sufficient for trailering,...usually radial or bias belted, allows for more flexible side walls. Using a "P" tire could lead to increased trailer sway and loss of control.[/

See less See more
#8 ·
I put E load highway tires on all my trailers. Then I never have to worry

#9 ·
"E" load tires aren't enough for everyone,...but most people can get away with them....especially if they aren't towing heavy loads.

I have to worry, .... my job is to keep people safe, on the water, and on the road. Just throwing a cheap set of tires, or tires not capable of carrying the load that I have on my Government trailer, and hoping for the best, isn't an option.

If I caused and accident in a Gov. vehicle, there would be an investigation, and someone could sue the Gov. for being ignorant and not paying attention to the load capacity of the tires.....and they would be right in doing so.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Thanks for the writeup Tank. Question: I recently acquired a 32ft 9klb empty travel trailer. It has Load E marathons on it now that are WAAAY beyond needing to be replaced. Should I stick with a radial, or go bias ply? What are the pros and cons?

#14 ·
Nylon bias ply trailer tires. These 'Special Trailer' (ST) tires have been constructed for better high speed durability and bruise resistance under heavy loads. Trailer tire construction varies substantially from automotive tires, therefore it is essential to choose the correct tire for your towing application. In general, trailer tires have the same load range (or ply) from bead to bead and are bias ply construction. This allows for a stiffer side wall which provides safer towing by helping to reduce trailer sway problems.

The use of 'Passenger Car' (P) or 'Light Truck (LT) tires a on a trailer is not recommended because their construction, usually radial or bias belted, allows for more flexible side walls. This could lead to increased trailer sway and loss of control

Hey Tank was that a Green Ball tire? Had two of those tires loose there treads on our toy hauler.
I don't think they are,....all I can say is..the tire in that we got, are rated for way over what the trailer axles can even hold....zero sway....awesome tire.

i run load range H tires on my horse trailers....
That is what the ones I posted in the link are..."H" 6,005lbs ea.

#12 ·
Hey Tank was that a Green Ball tire? Had two of those tires loose there treads on our toy hauler.

#15 ·
If Nylon Bias Ply tires are better, then why are they so much cheaper than radial ST tires. Like Load Range E ST 225/75/15 Carlisles, it's a quality manufacturer, and yet the bias ply is atleast $20 less a tire. I'm not challenging you, I'm just curious

#24 ·
No steel in them.

#20 ·
One more question tank. How do the bias plys tow? Meaning when you hit cracks or transitions in the road do they want ot follow them? I had bias plys on my chevelle and it could be quite an experience on a graded road. Kinda like a narrow motorcycle on a graded road

#25 ·
They will tow better than a radial' Not as much flex in the sidewall= less sway and wandering. They also run cooler because of that. Best of all when they do blow there's no steel belts flying around at 70mph destroying your trailer. Just my $.02. I tow in extreem heat here in Az, I learned the hard way. Only drawback is in cooler climates after sitting for weeks they will flatspot and it takes a few miles to heat them up so they smooth out. But here in the desert if you take it up to 70-80 mph they will warm up fast.

#22 ·
With the wgt of your trailer I would go with load range E BIAS ply. My exp with radials that sit a lot is they will come apart. When a radial comes apart they destroy a lot of things. A bias usually throws off chunks and has no steel belts thrashing around destroying your trailer. Just my $.02 having pulled trailers & toyhaulers for years. A bias trailer tire has a much stronger sidewall as mentioned before. Takes out a lot of the sway in the trailer.

#23 ·
Thank you Glen. Any other tips for a newB about to travel from Ohio to Disney, you can PM me if you want, so we don't hijack the thread. The mountains (WV, VA) have me nervous

On Edit: I can't seem to find a 15" Load Range E BIAS Ply

#27 ·
The tires I have on my 13K toyhauler are commercial Goodyears load range G, they are regroovable and call for 110psi. They are radials that came on the trailer but when I replace them I'll go with bias ply. I trust them more. Stronger sidewall. Just for kicks, jack knife your trailer into a near 90* pos and stop and get out and look at the flex in the sidewall. A bias ply will skuff the tread on the pavement but won't flex like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.