Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

After all this... A Cracked Block.

22K views 106 replies 36 participants last post by  PTSUPERD 
#1 ·
Well after all I have had happen with this motor. Now the coolant in the oil can be linked to a cracked block.

This is on top of everything that has happened with this motor...

1. A set of bad injectors washed down the cyclinder walls. Requiring a rebuild.

2. Getting the engine back and having a good sized oil leak.

3. Finding out the coolant was getting into the engine oil.

4. Pulling the drivers side head off to find valve to piston contact.

5. Having Buddy pull the passenger side head off to find way worse valve contact on the passenger side.

6. Getting a second call tonight to learn that the engine block is cracked.

Realizing your motor is at EDP and will be taken care of priceless...

See less See more
#4 ·
I forgot in the first post to explain the crack. From what I was told the crack goes from the #2 Main up to the #4 cyclinder, and on to the area around the cam shaft. I was told I was lucky I parked it when I did, and that it would of spitted parts on the ground shortly if I didn't...

I will post pics as soon as I get them..

#6 ·
Sounds like my orig. OBS block cept it cracked just under the oil cooler mount rear and went to the tunnel and back down the other side. I feal your pain man my truck ran well then one day it was like a switch had been fliped.

#11 ·
Your right. It was built in Seattle by a engine builder up there. Its now at EDP getting everything sorted out and a EDP engine built.

#14 ·
I have the perfect solution for you:

You list "Girdle" in your sig, with a full built engine no less, yet.... the title of this thread is "A Cracked Block".

So, here's what you do. Call the number to the company you linked in your sig, "Terminator Engineering", and the guy that answers the phone can explain to you how that's impossible, and that your block is NOT actually cracked. Problem solved, crisis averted. I know this because he has explained it to us all so many times, with such adamant displays of omnipotence.

#20 ·
Charles, I have alot of respect for most of the comments you make, and feel that on most subjects you have some great ideas. If you have a more serious idea, feel free to reply. If you want to throw some below the belt punches at Joey or anyone else in this thread.

Please STEP OUTSIDE. This isn't the place for it.

#15 ·
Charles, why don't you call me? Oh wait, I'll be in the field all day with NO service................:doh:

Are you going to blame it on Extreme ICP? Or the Tuner?

I think it's highly possible he has/had a cracked block because it's just a BAD BLOCK. It happens..........

Tyler, what cylinder did the fire ring/head gasket failure happen to be in?

#19 ·
Joey, I don't believe I had a fire ring/head gasket failure now. I think the coolant was entering the oil system from the crack in the block.

However I had some major piston/valve contact... Due to no clearance.

#16 ·
Wow you really do have some bad luck i feel really bad for ya I hope I dont get that call but at the same time its great knowing that buddy will take care of it all.

#24 ·
I know is doesnt matter a crack is a crack. But I was told tonight that the crack was way worse that first thought. A new block will be sent out ASAP to EDP. This sucks. I have been kinda beating myself up over this.

#27 ·
My phone died yesterday, but I will say the same thing here...

Spend a little more and have *** cryo it before it gets to EDP... They may even have a block there they could swap to get you going sooner.

#25 ·
Could the cracked block be a result of the engine not being assembled properly, or just bad luck?

This whole ordeal has to be beyond frustrating for you.

#26 ·
I don't know. A lot of idea have crossed my mind that last few days. I was told that the block was magnafluxed while it was being built in Seattle. But who knows, and mangaflux is only as good as the person doing the job.

Also, I really like your sig line.. Cracked me up...

#32 ·
What are the chances that the valves were hitting the pistons so hard that the impacts of that caused the cam to try to exit the block?

Considering the valves were hitting beyond hard into the pistons?

If you look at the pictures the support that idea..

#33 ·
I think that is a great question.

#39 ·
So if you don't think that is what caused it. What do you think it was?

#54 ·
I'll have to side with Charles on this issue. It's been talked about that all blocks have casting seam lines some worse than others and are considered flaw's. The engineers were not worried since the TQ was rated at about 500 on these engines. Tuning that delivers power at a low rpm or high power output is putting stress on the blocks beyond the flaw's limits. Just get another block, check it the best you can and be done with it. I don't see what you are trying to find out from this thread but it's only going to come back to your tuning since your truck is at an average power level (450-500) I guess. Do you have any dyno numbers or a graph to look at? This might show part of the cause.

Turning this to valve contact piston verification discussion is insane. If I keep cutting myself with a knife am I doing any structural damage? If I use more force but only for a limited time how long will I last?

#58 ·
Turning this to valve contact piston verification discussion is insane. If I keep cutting myself with a knife am I doing any structural damage? If I use more force but only for a limited time how long will I last?
Blowby, I see your point about a knife and your finger. However I think if your used a small hammer and even only hit softly you would over time cause structural damage.

Ok so here are some specs to think about..

Tires 35's tech sheet for the tires say 594 revs/mile
Engine lasted 6,500 miles
Axle ratio 3.73
Average gear ratio 1 - 1 I know overdrive is less but ill use 1 - 1

Thats about 14 million hits the valves and pistons made give or take.

So hit your finger 14 million times and see if there is damage...

But on a serious note I am thinking about setting up a stock injectored motor with the same valve and piston contact and see if it fails... Wouldn't that be interesting?

#56 ·
Charles. I totally owe you a appology, I don't know what got into me.. Thank you for you input as harsh as it maybe sometimes.. Again, I am sorry...

Tyler

#61 ·
Marauder, you shouldn't be running a Ducati to 13K RPM. Just saying.

I just assumed you were talking about drag racing a V-twin HD and they use roller bearings which operate under a different set of principles than a plain bearing. Instead of riding on a layer of oil and the bearing not getting worn at all the crank actually is in contact w/ a the bearing at all times.

On Charles, seriously I dig having that guy around. He offers invaluable insight to most things PSD. His biggest flaw believe it or not, is that he REALLY wants you to understand and be better at this diesel junk. And then when people refuse to listen, he gets all medievel on your ass trying to explain these things. Personally, I think he just cares too much that you guys get this stuff right.

#62 ·
Ha! Your are absolutely right about that RPM figure. I was just gauging the brain trust here as I'm a new guy. I see you know your MC engines. Cool!

As far as Charles, I second your comments. Anyone who spends any amount of time on any website grows weary of repeating things over and over again. Don't ask me how I know this....
The one thing that must be true about him is his love for this subjects at hand, anyone who has a 600 hp daily driver is someone I'll pay heed to anytime he puts fingers to keyboard. I also find his presentation quite entertaining. Now I'll head back to my seat in the peanut gallery.....

Keep up the good work Charles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.