Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4R100 clutches

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  FordCowboy 
#1 ·
How important is the number of clutches used in the clutch packs? I noticed that the Suncoast kit uses more clutches. Obviously more clutches would have to be beneficial in reducing slippage, but would clutches of the same quality as the suncoast kit just in "stock" quantity slip that much? I figure better safe than sorry, but just something I was thinking about.

#2 ·
The clutches in a suncoast kit is just a Alto Red Eagle kit. They sell it in kit form, and they give you the amout of clutches to fit. The tranny builder will fit clutches and steels in until the right clearence for the clip is found. We machined some plates down and was able to pack more clutches in my tranny. I dont know the number. I think he acually fit 8 in it before it was machined. I bought all my clutches from Transtar for my tranny guy. Everything alto red clutches and kolene steels. All except for overdrive i think. They dont make red in that. But i got some waffle cut kryptonites there. I believe its the intermediate pack that i was told to get the Z pak, but they found me red clutches for that too. Which added 1 more disk over the z pak. Racer X also sells a xtreme rebuild kit too. But it was cheaper for me to just go down to transtar and buy all the clutches from there. Instock and intown. Even have the tugger shift kits.

#3 ·
Makes sense. Their description says it increases the count

"Increases clutch count in forward, direct, intermediate, coast*, and overdrive clutch packs."

But I'm guessing that is because they include plates that would be machined already?

#4 ·
The steels that are included i beleive are better quality, so they are thinner. That way you can pack more frictions.

#7 ·
That's what I was wondering about too. Is it worth it to have more clutches at the sacrifice of other pieces? Or would the normal amount of clutches as long as they were good clutches be just as good to not have thinner parts?

#6 ·
I was reffering as far as, kolene steels over stock steels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.