Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

King coilovers travel not correct

2K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  OBSWIZ 
#1 ·
I installed a pure performance dessert race kit with kings on all four corners. Body roll with this kit is extreme. My front coilovers also only have two inches of travel before they bottom out . Only two inches of the shock's shaft is visible. Out back I have more but I still think it is off. Do I need to add nitrogen(?) to the reservoirs or what? Kind of stuck.

#4 ·
the box said they came charged. In the front I have the collar half way down so it would sit right. I will try to get some pics tonight.

#5 ·
Hopefully this helps, took them at night.

#6 ·
Nitrogen will not change the ride height of coilovers, the shock needs more down travel ! can be acheived by more preload on the spring but that will also raise the front of truck higher, If lift is where you want it then you might need a shorter stroke shock with stiffer springs. I think that kit is a 8 inch lift , did your truck raise 8 inches ? Nice kit though, i almost went that route, expensive ! !

#14 ·
Yeah it is 8 inches higher. I like the way it sits now, so will try to see about shorter Kings. Yes it is expensive but I figure do it right the first time then you hopefully won't be saying "what if"

#8 ·
I agree, nitrogen won't change the height.....just the ride. And if they came charged, they should be fine.

And if the height of the lift is where it should be than your coilover is too long. You will most likely bottom that coilover out just during regular everyday street driving.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I did get the lift and Kings from the same place. I was kind of thinking they are too long. I am happy with the height of the kit, will try calling the company I bought it from and see what happens. I will update.

#15 ·
Here is how it looked after tires and wheels installed.http://http://

#16 ·
IMO, it does look low for a 8" lift on a 08 (unless it's just the angle of your pics).

Here's a 8" with 37s on a 08:
TruckToyz Performance Image Viewer

For comparison, here's a 6" with 37s:

Generally at the lower lift heights you can maintain more wheel travel by using a coil spring and separate shock vs. coilover due to the physical dimensions of a lot of coilovers and the space that some of the coilover mounts take up.
Some mounts and coilovers work better at lower heights than others though.

#17 ·
I was just thinking that after the last posts. I am going to lower the collars all the way in the front and adjust the back. I never really took any measurements of the truck before putting on the lift.

#18 ·
Yeah mine does look low compared to the pics you had.

#19 ·
#20 ·
Ok that was the wrong pics. lol

#22 ·
Ok, I thought I might have to go higher. I will figure it out as I use it on how much more I need. Would you put on limiting straps? I think it would be a good idea.
Thanks for the complement. Been working hard getting this thing together. Lot of work when you do it yourself. :eek:

#23 ·
Personaly I'd set my C/o's mid travel then flex it up and adjust, if you off road you need to flex it up and check to insure you don't top or bottom out the shocks. Check DS joints for binding etc. Adjust bump stops or add straps. If you plan on jumping add air bump shocks.

Looks sweet!

#24 ·
It will see some off roading, and possible some air. I am also thinking of some air bump stops. If the King's have 10" of travel I should have 5" of the shocks shaft at ride height and go from there? If true I think I am there now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.