Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

horsepower and big tires

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  houseofdiesel 
#1 ·
I just had my truck dynoed today at Edge and i'm really dissapointed in the results 306 hp and 583 tq. Now is that because I have stock gears 3.73 and 38 in. tires? I'm running DJs Looney tune.:mad:

#2 ·
I was going to drive up there but I didn't think they would run my tires. I tried contacting them to ask with no luck. :mad:

#3 ·
Yeah, there were some people with 40s on the dyno, so I dont think there would have been a problem. It was a good turn out.

#5 ·
I don't know about killing it by over 100rwhp though. You sure the dyno operator knew what he was doing?

#8 ·
I was wondering that myself. Another guy there with a 6.4 with a
spartan 275 tune and he only put down 440, I thought for sure he would be in the 500 range.

#12 ·
There are a lot of different factors in the equation. I live in the bay area in California and I think it was nice to see other rigs with these other setups. Everyone seemed to at least be on a level playing field, cause before I left the twin turbo 2WD Cummins was the only rig I saw throw up a huge 500 Plus number. I was disappointed that there weren't more big number rigs. I really wanted to see what Power Smoker would put down.

No loading, no correction, and elevation are huge. It took me a while to figure out how to get my 05 to its peak window and on the first run they did with the little tires on it showed. I was in the Dyno room instead of in my truck coaching the Edge guy on where my truck performs best and the numbers came out way off. It showed 429 HP and only 6 something TQ and shifted early on him. After putting the 40's back on and contemplating it a while I had to figure out what went wrong and Dyno again in the truck. I knew I'd loose a lot so I was going to be happy if it came in anywhere around 400. I've dynoed with 40's and 35's before down here at sea level and seen 75 Hp difference on two good runs. 498 with 35's and 425 with 40's. As he set up the computer I explained to him to roll into it until 10 lbs and lay it down nice and even. 419 Hp. Right where it should be at that elevation with 40's. I always make sure that I only make my runs on a restricted to some uncorrected dyno so I'm never caught off guard or embarrassed by saying my trucks going to put up these numbers and fall way short. I don't know if you've had much experience on the dyno but every trucks sweet spot and how it gets there is different and those other couple factors make a huge difference. Even though something was off on their setup on the first run to show such a low torque number I think the Hp number was right on and it was my fault for not being in the truck with him letting him know how to run my truck. If it took me half a dozen runs to figure it out there's no way somebodies going to be able to just jump in and tickle her sweet spot. They might get lucky and come close, but not get her all the way there.

My guess is about 15 Hp for Elevation and 35-50 for the tires and gears.

Oh and mine runs 4:30s with the 40's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.