Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Blew it up again

10K views 104 replies 30 participants last post by  PSDfan99 
#1 ·
Well last night a few of us went to the track. It was my first time racing, might have benn my last also.

4wd boosted launch, left the line hard and smooth, everything felt great. All the shifts were perfect and then about a second after it went into OD I felt and heard a bang. So I let out of it and got off the track. I don't have anything in forward or reverse. Tranny holds in park fine.

PI stallion converter with less than 1k mi on it.
TransGo Tugger shift kit
Tranny rebuild with Alto Red Eagle cultches with less than 800mi on it
All Stock hard parts

If it was a hard parts failure (which it probably was) it's not covered.

What do you think it was that failed?

#2 ·
input shaft?

#8 ·
NO KIDDING!

I'm gonna call BTS on tuesday and see what we can do with the parts I already have in there and see if he can add some parts and turn it into a "BTS".

#5 ·
I can only say weak on that tranny. I hope you can find a not too ugly solution on this.

#13 ·
Yes, still has park.

#12 ·
Shifts are firm and spot-on, but not like "violent" hard or anything.

:whs::whs::whs::whs:
Do the input shafts usually break or do they usually twist and take the spline off?

#16 ·
Matthewd11 was there when it blew and he said he thought it could be the OD planet. I don't know enough about trannies to diagnose what went wrong.

#17 ·
Here's the only problem i have..... i have over $6k into this one with Mass Diesel. Thay have gone through it twice now, but all the hard parts are still stock, so it looks like its time for upgrades there too.

#19 ·
With all the mods that you have and the torque that the truck is making, if you still have stock internals and just fix what broke, all you're doing is moving the weak spot in the trans to a different part in the trans.I know you don't want to here this, but its time to build the trans.

#23 ·
Wow thanks Greg! I'm going to check that out in a few minutes, just got the truck on the lift so I'll report back asap.

Thanks.

#24 ·
Ok just checked it out. I pulled the rear line off the tranny (cooler return line) and started the truck. The pump is pumping ATF, no question it's working.

Does this mean it's definitely the OD planetary?

on edit: My tranny guy said through email that I mostlikely broke the "low reverse drum". Is that another possibility?

#26 ·
Don't throw away any more $$$$$ Bite the bullet and get a bts or John Wood and be done with it. If you don't it'll keep breaking. Just my $.02

#28 ·
Dude. There is over $6k in this tranny between 2 builds and 2 TCC's. If I went with a BTS it would probably be easily another $4k. Plus shipping to and from Arkansas and Massachusetts. Plus Down time.

Does anyone know what a BTS goes for with all the billet parts?

#29 ·
you prob dont want to hear this but i had to sell my last truck cause of the tranny eating my wallet. i just kept taking it back to the shop. 9k later two torque converter two front pumps and numorous clutches later i snapped an output shaft. and sold the truck for 9k to get my money back.....i woud def get somthing bullet proof this time.

#30 ·
When it broke at the track, 85 miles away from home, I was ready to sell it.

I'm going to call BTS and JW on Tuesday and see what my options are. I really don't want to give Mass Diesel another dollar, but if my other options don't seem feasible I'll probably end up back there depending on what he says and what the others say.

#33 ·
I hear ya. Have a look here http://www.brianstruckshop.com/gears.html It is not a matter of billet everything. In Brian's infinite transmission wisdom he has sourced HD parts or has machined better parts like input and output shafts, planetaries made of steel not aluminum.

You should also consider the flywheel.. It has also been known to exit the stage before finishing the run down the track. The way I see it.. you start building up the engine and tranny then you will need to look at the differential, traction bars.. basically a money pit. If that is your intention, then great. But if you have to drive your pro stock truck to work the next day, then idk, keep it simple and accept the fact you will have a limit in terms of HP and how effectively you get it to the ground.

I have always wanted to build something to take to the track, but right now I have a more noble goal of educating my teenagers/young adults. Guess I come last in this event.

BTW, Your best bet is a used BTS tranny, considering the fact the warranty goes with the hardware, not the original owner.

On Edit: Just looked at your sig.. Impressive, what kinda HP are you making?

#35 ·
Sounds expensive, but probably what I need.

#38 ·
Yea, this is gonna hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.