Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Fuel Sump Installation/Review

12K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Aggie007 
#1 ·
I have a Cummins in my Ford, I know, I know, most will quit reading my post now...haha.....I run a FASS 150/150 lift pump. I had issues with the FASS cavitating and pulling air when the tank were to go below a third full. I bought a fuel sump from Joe Hellmann at . I had read some information on a few other websites about his quaility of work and decided to try one and glad I did. It has been one of the best mods I have done and I really think it will help the longivity of my FASS pump. This mod also cures trying to upgrade to bigger pickups for more fuel. This fuel sump will work on any car/truck, all you need is 5 inch flat surface. I have had this installed for 7 months with no issues.
Pros:
1. No more pick-up tube in the tank!
2. I have run my tank near empty without the FASS pulling any air.
3. My FASS has quieted down where you can barely tell it is running!! I used to be able to hear it in the cab, now I can stand next to the truck when its running and not hear the pump.
4. I also have started putting 50-70 extra miles between fill-ups. Literally you can run your tank dry.
5. My fuel pressure came up an extra pound, from 15 to 16 lbs (Cummins thing) and never fluctuates like it did before when I got below a third of a tank.
Cons:
1. It sits below the fuel tank so lowers the ground clearance.
2. Drilling a hole in the bottom of my tank bothered me.
3. If I had a skid plate I would just cut a hole out for it and weld a cover over it.

Fuel Tank Removal - Ford Truck
(1) Loosen clamp and disconnect rubber fuel fill
hose at tank.
(2) Support tank with a hydraulic jack.
(3) Remove 2 fuel tank strap nuts and
remove both tank support straps.
(4) Carefully lower tank a few inches and disconnect
fuel pump module electrical connector
at top of tank. To disconnect electrical connector:
Push on black colored tab while removing connector.
(5) Disconnect fuel supply and return lines at fuel
tank module.
(6) Continue to lower tank for removal.
(7) If fuel tank is to be replaced, remove fuel tank
module from tank.

Tank pulled out:

Old configuration:

Marked the tank and getting ready to cut the hole:

Cutting the hole for the fuel sump:

Hole cut and cleaning the burs:

Test fit:

Drilling the holes. Drill the first hole and install the bolt. Move around the continuing to drill holes and install bolts. This will insure all the holes are exact for a perfect fitment:

Mounting holes drilled:

Installing my barbed fitting for my fuel line. Use lock-tite to ensure no leaks. This is better than using teflon tape etc.:

Looking thru from the top of the tank:

Cleaned the surface with purple power and used a little sealant along with the supplied seal since the Ford tanks are rigid and do not have a smooth surface:

Installed shot from the inside:

Installed shot from outside:

Capped off the old pickup tube with compression fitting and brass cap:

INSTALLED!!!

Fuel Tank Installation - Ford Truck
(1) Position fuel tank to hydraulic jack.
(2) Raise tank until positioned near body.
(3) Connect fuel tank module electrical connector
at top of tank.
(4) Connect fuel supply and return lines to
module.
(5) Continue raising tank until positioned snug
body.
(6) Install and position both tank support straps.
Install 2 fuel tank strap nuts and tighten. Tighten
rear strap nut first. Torque to 30 ft/lbs.
(7) Remove hydraulic jack.
(8) Connect rubber fill hose to fuel fill tube
tighten clamp.
(9) Install tire / wheel (if necessary).
(10) Lower vehicle.
(11) Fill fuel tank with fuel.
(12) Start engine and check for fuel leaks near
of module.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks awesome and a very nice write up on the install.

Is your fass outside the frame rail just below the fill door there?? I think I like that mount location, seems to keep it up high and near the tank which is nice.

#4 ·
I bought the FASS for a Cummins, so I had to change the bracket to fit, plus I have the Fabtech hangers so the Ford bracket wouldn't have done me much good either. But yes it is just behind the spring hanger outside the frame and just behind the fuel filler neck. This is the best picture I have of it right now:

#5 ·
Looks great. got on their site to check them out as I am adding my airdog this week and a sump has always been tumbling around in the back of my head.

165$ - is that what most sumps normally run?

#6 ·
Joe usually includes free shipping but that is what I paid for mine. Did you order one?

#8 ·
No prob. I hope people get use from it. My girlfriend had my truck last weekend and she put 75 more miles on a tank than I do. So thats around 150more miles on one tank than I did before I installed the sump. She said the pressure never dropped, or bounced around, I had to laugh :)

#9 ·
I would have used an adapter to go from whatever thread you have to JIC with a swivel pushlok hose. Cleaner fit/finish and you can remove the line from the tank w/o cutting it. Besides that, thanks for the writeup... I will be using it very soon. The sump itself looks beautiful.

#12 ·
Matt drew the original design, I was quite computer illiterate back then:doh:
Then I had a machine shop here in Houston make them.
Recently there has been a bit of an interest in them so I had Joe make some.

#18 ·
I have Hellmann's sump and intercooler in my conversion. Nice quality products.

#20 ·
I was at Joe Hellmann's this past weekend and caught him in the act of making more sumps!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.