Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

a few questions about trac bars.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Betaracer 
#1 ·
i was looking through the thread on trac bars and i have a few questions. whats the advantages to some of the different designs , for example i saw a few that mount under the leaf springs to the axle and some that are weld on brackets, also why are the longer ones better "mannered"? i am looking into building a set of my own and i need some advice . i don't plan on ever lifting my truck also.

#4 ·
He said Trac Bars, but was refering to traction bars.

There're lots of ways to skin a cat... or however the adage goes.

Design is determined by intention. A dedicated pulling truck doesn't have the same needs as one that is regularly taken off road. Same can be said about one that spends 100% driving on pavement. If you look at the movement of the axle under compression or extention you will see that it doesn't follow an arc but has a screwed up elliptical s shaped path. In order for a bar fixed at either end to work, there needs to be some length calculations as well as some movement considerations.

There is not one ideal solution, but some have gotten really close.
OUO is what I run now and they are nice.
Farmboy Fab has thought his product out and from reviews, do very well.
I had Fabtech floating bars, and they kept wrap under control while still allowing unimpeded suspension travel, they just were lacking in robustness.

Figure out what you wish them to help with and go form there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.