Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Adding Cruise control?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeremy 
#1 ·
I have been kicking around the idea of buying another super duty, but I am looking for the cheapest one possible and none of them have cruise control.

Has anyone added cruise control to a truck that did not have cruise control in it? I have the steering column with cruise control wheel, just wondering if there was a way to wire it up?

TIA

#2 ·
Piece of cake. The only thing your missing if its a auto tranny is the brake master cyl, you need one with the sensor on the end. Your truck will be wired for it, the harness end is tied up on the fender.

You need:

Cruise wheel
Clock spring
master cyl with the sensor on the end.

the rest is plug n play

#3 ·
Thanks Jeremy! I was hoping the answer would be something along those lines! Sounds like I have everything except the master cylinder with sensor, which don't seem to hard to track one down.

So the wires are also inside the truck cab also to hook up to the steering wheel? Im guessing you have done this before?

#4 ·
Yea the cruise control clock spring plugs into the same place the non-cruise clock spring, and all the wires are there.

You can bypass the plug on the end of the master cyl, its a backup cruise control cancel switch. Cut the head off the harness, and hook the two wires together. The cruise will still turn off when you touch the brake pedal, provided the main brake switch on the pedal does'nt fail.

#5 ·
Won't you need the steering wheel with the cruise control buttons? Or was that what you said you have in your first post?

#6 ·
Thats what I meant in my first post, is that I have the steering wheel with cruise control buttons sitting in my garage, with the clock spring.

Thanks Jerermy again for your help! I was beginning to think no one knew the answer to this lol.

#7 ·
John,

Make sure your clock spring is the same, by that I mean the connector end of the clockspring that under the column with the bright yellow loom. The grey harness end changed in 2002 I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.