Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Driveline issue?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kfluke 
#1 ·
Whenever I let off the go pedal and get right back on it the truck feels like the TC is unlocking and then locking but it isn't. (checked it with AE)

When I replaced the carrier bearing I noticed some play in the rear pinion. How much play is acceptable and could this be what I am feeling?

Is there any way to isolate the problem to the trans or rest of driveline?

#2 ·
have any luck with that? mine is doing something like the driveline is slaping when on and off the pedal along with a hop around 45mph. :mad:
I have replaced all ujoints, carrier bearing, had it spin balanced. next step is to have the yoke and spline redone.

Also replaced rear rotors, calipers,brakes and put new tires and wheels on it.:(

good luck

#3 ·
i have the same issue, but im starting to think it's in the transfer case.

on inspection of my own truck, backlash is good, u joints are good, slip joint has about 1/16 of play in it (not to serious), but i cant get involved with the transfer case. theres just not enough time in the day

if one of u guys has a free weekend, drop the transfer case and see how much play there is between in and out. would be very curious to see. also, check transmission output shaft and bearings for excessive play.

-Rob

#7 ·
I have found on my truck that the splines on the two piece drive shaft become dry I guess you could say. When it gets dry I will notice what feels like a lot of play in the drive line at stops and starts and whenever the I let off of the throttle with the torque convertor locked up then get back on the throttle.
The problem is when the splines are dry you can feel them sticking which causes the slack feeling or sometheing like that. Its hard to explain.
There is a recomended grease from ford, a teflon grease, about the same color as smurf blue D2AZ-19590-A.
I have found regular grease seems to last a couple of months and this stuff seems to last a year or so.

Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.