Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Ran fine, shut off , went to restart wouldn't start

5K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  nickersonf350 
#1 ·
Truck ran fine, no problems, has 97,000 miles 2005 6.0. Went to restart, it would just crank no start.. I could hear the fuel pump pumping, I checked oil, that's fine. The pressure gauge went up while cranking...Then let the truck sit over night and now it starts, It seems to start now. There are NO trouble codes that show up at all..... It is alittle harder to start now then originally. Any ideas?

#2 ·
While there is a long list of things that can cause a no-start condition, what you described (especially for a 2005 MY) is almost certainly a failed "snap-to-connect" (STC) fitting on the discharge of your high pressure oil pump. There is an updated fitting for it. I assume you are still under warranty, so take it in and you will get all fixed up. You might even ask them to install the updated turbo oil drain tube and see what they say.

#5 ·
Find another shop. The tests are well defined to get to the bottom of a no-start. The most common issue for a 2005 no-start is the HPO leak at the STC fitting. If it isn't that, then it could be a dozed different things. Start narrrowing it down w/ DTC codes. You really need a good dealership for this to go well for you.

#8 ·
thats is what they did last time. and that is what they are doing again i told them to take it home .and to drive it every day but the dame thing just wont die for them! and it suck because i need the truck to work.and the best part is ford will not fix it under warranty because i have a cold air intake and a exhaust on my truck .

#9 ·
CAI and exhaust shouldnt screw with your warranty, take it to a different dealership, ive talked to one dealership near me and they threw a fit because of my CAI and exhaust so i called another dealership near me and they said that those arent any problem, so i would suggest going to another dealership

#10 ·
I picked my truck up today and it's still running fine, but I do have one question? Has anyone ever heard or had this problem: The oil filter housing gurgling and when you take the filter cap of there is no oil in the filter housing? I was told it could be a return tube from the oil housing to the oil cooler and that could be the reason why i'm losing oil pressure which is making the truck not start.

#13 ·
Wix AND Baldwin filters do not fit exactly right. They will not hold down the lever that prevents the oil from draining out of the oil filter reservoir.

You should NEVER use aftermarket filters. Use only Motorcraft, Racor, or International. This is not just hype. It has been proven over and over. You can do real damage when the oil filter housing drains while in operation.

Some Wix filters SEEM to have the exact dimensions and some definitely DO NOT. Do NOT take these chances w/ your expensive machine.

#20 ·
:whs: I am running valvoline premium blue 5w-40 synthetic and my truck LOVES it!

#21 ·
so what would i have to do to convert mine from shell rotella non-syn to a synthetic oil?

#22 ·
well i went to ford today. And talked to the head diesel tech and he told me to also make sure the check valve in the oil filter housing is not sticking open! he said that also could cause the no start problem . so i am going to take the oil filter housing apart tomorrow let you know what i find.

#24 ·
Stick w/ OEM style filters on fuel AND oil (Racor, International, or Motorcraft) and you will be fine. It is more than just starting your truck - these aftermarket filters can cause damage that is expensive to repair (ie oil that does not get filtered, fuel pressure drop due to restrictions, etc, etc).

How did the leaf spring break? My experience is that they have to be "motivated" to do that (which I have done a few times).

#25 ·
well the main spring broke in half while pulling my 11000 lbs chipper! replaced them with up graded spring for palmer spring shop! they are 4400 gvwr. and with the 5 spring over load spring jump them up to 5900 gvwr per side. the stock springs are only 3800 lbs per side.. And the truck seems to be running fine other than i am getting crap fuel mileage only getting like 250 miles per tank

#27 ·
Do you lose base oil pressure when this happens?

Nevermind, I read the first post over. Someone has probably already told you, but you have either a leaking STC coupler or the dummy plug in one of the oil rails is leaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.