Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

wheel bearing noise...

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  millerman99 
#1 ·
hey guys im getting a wheel bearing noise from the front right and can feel it in the floor boards.. but its not constant it comes and goes. but happening more.. i jacked up the front end and tried to feel for play up and down and side to side. but feels solid on both sides.. i am missing the seal on the right side of the axle housing and found a metal ring on the axle before the ujoint... is there a bearing in the tube? what else could cause this noise.. need my truck back asap!

#4 ·
you sure its not a hub? Many have problems when there hubs are shot. If there is no play in the bearing i would say hub or ball joint.

#5 ·
Lock your hubs and see if it still happens. Might just be the $10 bearing.

#7 ·
Within the hub (unit bearing) there is a serviceable bearing {part number B2110 i think...} (smaller) that allows the axle shaft to remain at rest while the hub spins. With the hubs locked the axle shaft spins with the hub.

#8 ·
i would check out the hubs,I had a similiar noise and it came and went but then it stayed turned out to be a hub

#10 ·
That might be part of the dust seal that keeps crud out of the axle tubes. The small needle bearing in the picture is replaceable, cost about $10. The entire unit bearing (hub) runs around $200 or so. Lock the hubs and see if the noise goes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.