Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Replacing rear rotors on 2000 F350 DRW

13K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Cowboy6 
#1 ·
I have to replace the rear rotors on my 2000 F350 DRW. Any one have any experiance doing this job, and are they any special tools needed.

Are they any detailed write ups for this job? I searched and did not come up with any.

#3 ·
A hub-wrench socket that has drive tangs that has to engage 4 slots in the hub nut and may be a hub puller. The bolts are on the inside of the disc to seperate from the hub.

#4 ·
cool thanks looks like i may be paying for this since i don't have those tools

#5 ·
I don't remember having to unbolt the rotor from the hub. I remember it being pretty much the same as the front. You don't need a hub tool to do it either. Should be a pretty simple drive-way job.

#7 ·
The rotors and pads are easy. Remove the calipers and the rotors come off.

Now..... if the parking brake shoes are toast and need replacing, then the removal of the rotors could require some extra force. To replace the parking shoes, then the axle and hub needs to be played with.
On the rear of my dually it looks like you have to take the hub off to get to the rotor!

Can that hub tool be purchased at and autoparts store?

#6 ·
The rotors and pads are easy. Remove the calipers and the rotors come off.

Now..... if the parking brake shoes are toast and need replacing, then the removal of the rotors could require some extra force. To replace the parking shoes, then the axle and hub needs to be played with.

#8 ·
You can get the hub socket at any parts store. It looks the same way on a srw but it comes off without taking the hub off the drw could be different though.

#9 ·
IIRC you need a special tool for the wheel bearing. It is a 4 pin socket i believe. Other than that, i hope you have air tools, sometimes the bolts that hold the hub to the rotor are a pain with hand tools. Get yourself a good 48 oz hammer as well.

As others have said, make sure once you get the rotor off, check the E shoes, to see if the bonding has failed. Very common unfortunately. I have also seen, in very salty areas, the backing plate will rot away and you will end up pulling the hold down pins for the E shoes through the backing plate.

#10 ·
You can rent the tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.