Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How much horsepower will be lost?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  01stroke 
#1 ·
Just exactly that...How much horsepower will be lost going from 265/75/R16 to 305's.

1)Can anybody put a number or a percentage on it? Seat of the pants description?

Lets say nothing else changes on a fairly stock '00 with a small lift and 4.10 gears. Will it be noticeable? As in pulling trailers with weight?

I have a friend wanting larger tires but still wanting load range E and this is his only option.

2)Will AE recalibrate the spedo? If so, does anyone have a right up on it?

Thanks for anything

#2 ·
I've ran 305's on 2 pickup's. Both are 7.3's with chip, exhaust, and intake. Both had 3.73 gears. One auto and one 6 speed. I didn't notice any seat of the pants difference, and no change in fuel milage. I say go for it.

#3 ·
well mathematically speaking, the taller tire will give you more rolling distance per rotation... ie lowering over all gear ratio. normal highway driving unloaded you should run a FEW Rpm's lower, but towning... you may be running a few RPM higher to have the feeling of the power.... but with 4.10's... you shouldnt notice any diffrence. i know my moms 150 with 3.55 and 285's you can feel the diffrence... picked up fuel millage unloaded.... lost it towing.

#4 ·
I know going from stockers to 35's,I noticed a differance but I have 3.73's as well.Not a huge difference but still a difference.Niothing like doing it on a gasser.

#6 ·
I havent found any 285's in a load range E.

#10 ·
You can get it fixed, but not with AE. Do the math and remember the difference.

#15 ·
I went from 285 to 315 with 373 gears and an auto. Could not tell much difference. It was worth the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.