Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Porting Heads, Worth it?

6K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  secondarychaos 
#1 ·
Eveyone says the heads flow like crap so how much will ya gain, and is it worth the effort to port them. Also does eveyone send them out or just diy? The intake ports look like a pita to get at to even begin grinding an polishing.

Keep in mind this is on my truck with twins, not yet decided on injectors but they will be big and looking for more than 600 on fuel.

#3 ·
Re: Porting Heads, Woth it?

I am going to start a set soon as I go pick them up. I have no work bench in my "little" shop so I must think up somesort of table to hold these heavy S.O.B.'s ! I would think some bowl work an just a good clean up would work wonders. I have been looking around for info.

#5 ·
Clamgulch had a thread about DIY porting PSD heads over on TDS back in the day. I just did some quick searching and didn't come up with it, but I seem to remember that it had tons of info. Either that or I'm smoking crack.

I sent my heads out - BDP took care of them for me the first go around and did a great job. They will be going back on a flow bench in the near future for a bit of checking and maybe a little more clean up work to try and edge out a little more flow. But most of the gains can be had with minor clean up work and a little shaping that can all be done DIY.

#10 ·
Dave (golfer) had a very nice set of pics on what to do.
Also, i've heard that a P&P set of heads will make a 42r spool like a 38r.
Plan to do mine when I have a large charger.

#12 ·
Cool looks like Ill try and clean the ports up on my spare set and see how it goes. What can you use to get down the intake port, or is it just mainly the area around the vavle that needs the work?

#15 ·
Good pictures david, the quote that you sent me, all the items go hand in hand don't they. One item helps the other.

#18 ·
This is great! I posted this same question on another forums about 3 yrs ago. I was told, don't waste your time,a P&P is a waist of money on these heads. You can't increase the flow on these heads. BLAH BLAH BALH. :pointlaugh: :ford:Not to smart. I'm glad to see how the 7.3 is evolving as well.:ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.