Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Blew my rear end

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  PSDfan99 
#1 ·
Blew my rear end tonight. Put a hole right through my 08 diff cover.

.....it was a good time :doh:

#3 ·
Pictures will come tomorrow. I dropped the diff cover and 3 chunks of spider gear came out. Cracked the carrier that the ring gear is bolted to and the pinion has a small chunk out of it.

#8 ·
The thing I'm concerned about is shimming the ring and pinion to the proper spec. If I were to go out and buy all new parts (ring/pinion, spider gears, and carrier) the only real difficult thing I'd have to do is set up the gears.

or.... do I call a junk yard and go get a complete axle and swap my brake parts onto it and call it good?

What do you think?

#10 ·
The junk yards are full of these axles apparently. I called two different places and they both quoted me about $425-475 for a complete axle.

Does anyone know which axle tag code is the factory limited slip? I don't have my axle tag any more and I want to make sure I get "posi" unit not an open "one wheel peel" diff.

#12 ·
Apparently there is a number on the tag that is something like "S409-B" that is needed to ID the axle.

Do you have any numbers/ letters like that?

Thank you!

#15 ·
Thanks guys!

#17 ·
Okay I got a complete rear end today at the bone yard. It's a factory limited slip unit which is a good thing, hopefully it's still got some life (grab) left in it.

Picked it up for $500 with a no questions asked 6 months replacement warranty. It's complete from rotor to rotor.

Tomorrow after work I'm going to begin the swap into my rag. The only thing that's going to give me a run for my money is the u-bolts on the truck and hammering the junk rotors off the new axle.

You should have seen me loading the axle into my sister's Nissan Xterra at the junk yard.... on top of it all it was 95º out and 90% humid. Not fun lol.

#18 ·
WTF man. What are you doing to that poor truck?? :poke:

I'd get new u bolts...dont F with the old ones...trust me. I hope you have a set of oxy/acet torches. I'd change the fluid too. God knows how long its been sitting there. For the rotors, just get a big 48 oz hammer and go to town.

If that thing isnt ready for the strip when i get back, there will be hell to pay :mad:

Better yet, i'll take you for a ride in my truck and give you the bug for bigger sticks...:hehe:

#19 ·
With all the repairs and money I've dumped into this POS you'd think I was out racing and sled pulling the thing every weekend.... but I'm not. I drive it everyday, I don't drive it very hard and it is a total money pit.... and it's getting kind of old for me.

You're right about the U bolts. I'm going to get new ones at the spring shop tomorrow. And yes, I'll be using a BFH on those rotors.

Parts for my traction bars are back ordered until Thursday of next week. As soon as those come in and the bars are built we'll go racing.

And lastly, if I take a ride in your truck I'm definitely going to want more power, so I think it would be best if I stay clear of that red rocket. lol

#20 ·
Rear end is in the truck now. All I need to do is fill it with gear oil and get a new u-joint for the yoke at the pinion gear.

Only bad part of the install was that as soon as I popped the diff cover off I quickly realized it was an open diff not a factory limited slip. Oh well, it's a daily driver not a race truck I'll manage with one wheel peel.

#21 ·
Easy way to tell if its posi or not ... Is to grab one wheel and spin it. Then watch the other side, If the other wheel spins the same direction then its a posi, if spins the other way its a open.

#24 ·

Here are th pictures. You can see the damage/ hole in the 08 diff cover and the other obvious damage to the carries and the spider gears....enjoy

I didn't want to weld the spiders up. It crossed my mind for about 2.5 seconds but I know better than to have a full on locker on a daily driven street truck. My 86 Chevy K-10 was locked front and rear and it was a beast in the mud, but sucked BAD in the snow and dry pavement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.