Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

H2E Spool up really slow???

3K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  ParkerFly 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i just took my truck to the drags this weekend and i have a lot of power but that H2E takes a long time to spool up! When it was on the dyno the guy who was doing it told me there was something wrong with my truck cause the turbo gauge didn't even budge. He let go of the throttle just as the turbo was starting and i dynoed 289hp without it! i just can't figure out why it's so slow???

#3 ·
Did the dyno "load" the engine?

If not then you will never get the charger to light.

Keep in mind I am no dyno expert, but I think some of them load the engine and others may not. A diesel has to be loaded in order to light the charger. Without a load it is like free reving the engine.

Might be a drive side (pre turbo) exhaust leak, might be a charge air leak. The modded H2E is a larger charger and harder to light.

#21 ·

Keep in mind I am no dyno expert, but I think some of them load the engine and others may not. A diesel has to be loaded in order to light the charger. Without a load it is like free reving the engine.
You can say that again:doh:

There are basically only 2 reasons why you would not be able to light an H2E on a dynojet. Too much fuel too early, or a serious leak in the manifold/up-pipes.

#5 ·
How does that work? The smoke slowing it down i mean? But to answer your question... yes it does! It smoked way more than it should. Probably the worst one at the show!

#7 ·
Too much fuel without boost to burn it. Try flooring it from a lug and see how long it takes to light, then slowly apply the skinny pedal paying attention to the boost as it rises. It will light faster and run harder if you don't snuff the charger out.

This can be done with tuning, or with your right foot. ;)

#6 ·
Also the dyno did load the engine. I still have my stock clutch so as soon as the boost climbs then you have to let go cause it just starts slipping right away!

#8 ·
Ok sounds good. My bro was messing around with it yesterday and popped the shift linkage off the tranny so i'll just put that back on and try 'er out again.

#9 ·
you get the most exhaust volume with a stoichiometric or slightly lean burn. that will light your charger faster, much faster. talk with your tuner.

#10 ·
I got the chip burnt @ beans but your sayin they probably made it give to much fuel? Also, does anyone have the chip burner for there personal use? Is it worth it to get one or are they too confusing?

#12 ·
No, i'll have to give them a call tomorrow. I've also got a pre-turbo leak somewhere so from what i've read here that slows the spoolin' process too. Do you think the stock clutch slipping would slow it down too?

#14 ·
:whs:
fix your leak first.
did you have it tuned before or after the H2E? that would make a big difference. the stock turbo lights so fast you don't have to worry about smoke hardly at all.
FWIW, I have a Minotaur package from Power Hungry Performance. that's a full tuning software, burner and chip bundle. the software is complex and requires alot of learning, but the actual burning is very simple. Put chip in, on position 1, press delete, switch to 2, press delete, etc, then switch back to one and pick a file to burn, switch to 2, etc.
Edit: when I say the software is complex, i'm referring to doing things right. actually manipulating the values is easy, knowing whether you're doing the right thing is the hard part.

#15 ·
Yeah, thats true. The clutch don't slip until the boost builds so i guess i'll take the turbo off and find out where the smoke is coming from. The chip got burnt for all the stuff i just put on. Does the burner help at all though? I mean is it worth it to be able to mess with it or not really?

#17 ·
:whs:

#19 ·
Look for a leak first, that is most likely the culprit cause that turbo is not that slow. I believe you have the same tunes as Parkerfly, he has the same turbo and it spools up fine. But he does have Stage 2's and not 300's but if you have a simular size nozzle it shouldnt matter too much.

Find the leak, then when you drive it dont stab it all at once. Ease into the throttle for quicker turbo response.

#20 ·
Well i think i'll leave the tuning to the pro's then cause i barely know how to operate a video game!LOL The leak is coming somewhere from the drivers side so i believe i'll have to take the turbo off anyhow. I don't mind to much though cause it's way easier than the stock one!

#26 ·
Then why make the statement

:shrug:

OP,

My clutch was on the weak side as well, the dyno operator had to lighten the loading in order to keep my clutch in check.

This was fine for my dd tune, but for the higher feuling programs it would never light. I was feeding the fuel to it as slowly as possible with the pedal.

On the street it will light with ease in the higher programs, this is due to the engine being LOADED harder.

That was my point.
If you can't light the turbo of a daily driver on an inertia dyno than either there is a serious mechanical problem or your tuning/setup pretty much sucks!!:poke:

Just the simple facts!!:eek:

And yes, I would consider myself somewhat experienced having dynoed my personal truck well over 300 times and operated 1000's of dyno runs with other peoples trucks:poke:

#23 ·
OP,

My clutch was on the weak side as well, the dyno operator had to lighten the loading in order to keep my clutch in check.

This was fine for my dd tune, but for the higher feuling programs it would never light. I was feeding the fuel to it as slowly as possible with the pedal.

On the street it will light with ease in the higher programs, this is due to the engine being LOADED harder.

That was my point.

#25 ·
Ok sounds like a plan! The dyno guys that did it are newbie's to the business so that probably had a little something to do with it then too. I'll fix the leak when my clutch gets here and see what it looks like then.

#28 ·
Could be any number of things :shrug:

Exhaust housing/exducer on your "Custom" turbo could be too large or mismatched.:confused:
Program tip in fuel or any number of other things in the programing are way off.:confused:

Why do you think Mr. Lott can only mph and not ET?:confused::poke:

On the street, you have all the time in the world to spool. You will barely notice, or be effected by the thing lugging for 2-3 sec. before it spools on the street or load dyno. But on an inertia dyno or dragstrip that 2-3 sec. is an absolute killer. All load dyno's do is mask poor tuning or bad setups!! Tune and setup the truck to spool on a Dynojet and it will be an animal on the street and outrun anything that it would not have beforehand:poke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.