Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

tie rod ?

978 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  OzPowerstroker 
#1 ·
so im driving home yesterday with five ton of hay on and i start having a poping noise in the front end when i would brake accelerate or go over a bump. i checked out the front end and noticed that the tie rod would roll and wiggle when i pushed and pulled on i with my hand. this does not seem normal to me. does this sound like a bad tie rod or maybe something im not seeing?

#2 ·
If they are lose, replace. I was running about 75 to 80 on hiway, decided to stop for a drink, just as I stopped the left tie rod came off...thank God it was
at less than walking speed... Aljay came with a trailer and when we hit home I replaced it all. I do not wish to think what would have happened if it had let go at speed. The factory stuff was not greasable, the MOOG we installed is.
Good luck.

#4 ·
You should be able to move it a little by hand. Get a floor jack under it and move the tires side to side. if it feels really sloppy then replace the part that you can see movement in. It sounds like to me a possible ball joint. To check that jack up truck and stick a pry bar under the tire and pull up on it. If it moves more than a 1/4" replace both on that side. If they are bad you will see it. The only other thing that comes to mind is the sway bar end link bushings or a wheel bearing. the wheel bearing is checked the same as the ball joint. You'll need an extra person to pull up on the pry bar while you track down the problem.

#6 ·
It could still be the wheel bearing some go out quicker than others

#7 ·
so after some examination, i have determined that it is my ball joints good call silver250. that being said what are some good ball joints to buy to replace them?

#9 ·
..get moog and you'll be golden. Try to get the ones with grease nipples on it.
just installed the same thing, got em from powerstrokeshop.com, :ford: they provide a complete kit including seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.