Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

High Maintenance in Athens, OH 8-15-09

4K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  "THE DEMIZE" 
#1 ·
It's running very well, but I can't seem to put an end to this bounce. It's much better now with the front leaf spring adjustments I've made recently, I can now make it down the track. However the axles can't take the beating long enough to get me to the end of the track. The outer axle shaft broke tonight at about 250 ft and the truck came to a screetching halt at 267 ft. It took 318 to win, so I've gotta get another 55-60 ft out of it and I believe that is easily doable with no bounce or breakage.

Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks

#14 ·
There is something that you did causing leverage to pull the front off the ground.
Front suspension is too stiff and doesn't have enough travel.
It think we have a winner....just not completely sure how to address it yet.
I did some test hooking for a guy over the winter dealing with this...different type of truck, same problem. His ended up being not enough travel in the front suspension. The truck would torque and pull one front wheel off the ground and then both of them would play hop scotch all the way down the track.

Justin

#13 ·
My truck has the leveling springs up front but they are IMO completely wore out. It doesn't set any higher than stock. I also run dual hydo, no gas, shocks up front. I watched the vid, the frame is plenty rigid and should work well. Frame and suspension have to work together. The stiffer the chasis the softer the suspension needs to be.

#15 ·
Bouncing is all about storing up and releasing energy. You either need to make it so it stores less energy, or doesn't release energy that fast, OR do both. Soft front suspension with lots of droop is where its at. For instance the suspension I have designed for the front of my new "toy" has about 14" of total travel and roughly 70% droop. its going to ride like a caddy!

BTW - i sent you a text Josh. I never got that email last night.

#16 ·
Bouncing is all about storing up and releasing energy. You either need to make it so it stores less energy, or doesn't release energy that fast, OR do both. Soft front suspension with lots of droop is where its at. For instance the suspension I have designed for the front of my new "toy" has about 14" of total travel and roughly 70% droop. its going to ride like a caddy!

BTW - i sent you a text Josh. I never got that email last night.
You win the prize of the day!

#27 ·
The bounce is finally gone, I ran at Meigs friday night and after I added another 250lb to the front and adjusted my front suspension a little more it made a solid pass. Now if I can remember to clear the DTC codes everytime before I run I may do well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.