Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

new 38r making humming noise

9K views 98 replies 34 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
i just got my GTP38R turbo and its making a humming noise. when you go Wot it doesnt make the noise anymore. checked all the boots with starting fluid to make sure they dont leak.

truck has afe 2 and 4 inch mbrp exhaust. its not the intake sucking..

#2 ·
Could your downpipe be hitting the head causing some strange noises?

#12 ·
If you want to hear something really exciting, set the idle at 2k with the intake off. I was under the hood with that happening and it was a little intimidating.

#13 ·
Both mine and my brother's have a resonance at about 4psi and again at about 8psi. Any higher and its all whistle. If yours is doing the same, I wouldn't worry about it

#14 ·
It's not the turbo, it is your motor purring. It means it is happy. When you go WOT, it has to stop purring and start roaring.

#24 ·
I find my 38R awesome and I love the sound at all boost levels

#29 ·
OMG... That would not last on my truck!

Mine doesnt do that... My wife would shoot me if I installed that in her truck...

#31 ·
She has my old 38r... And thanks, but I would like to keep my balls...:doh:

#32 ·
If that is what the 38Rs sound like, i'll be looking for a different turbo when I up-grade. That would be annoying.

#38 ·
I just installed my 38r this weekend and it sounds the same, all the way up to 15lbs it makes the same noise.

I have a leak somewhere because I can only boost to 15lbs (30+ with stocker) it's also quite smokie and EGT's are higher. I made a boost leak detector and couldn't find anything so I guess that means it must be the uppipes, which I didn't touch in the install... I was hoping that whine was a boost leak... ;(

#40 ·
mine did the same

the wastegate was set at 10psi on mine from factory(we didnt check this before install)

later we cranked up the wastegate accuator and got 40psi boost

#39 ·
check and make sure your EBPV is not sticking closed

#41 ·
Yep that sounds like mine! You can hear the resonance or hum as yours spools back down. Mine hits at around 3 PSI which is a spot you will see a lot. Would not be as bad if it hit high in the boost where I just occasionally hit. I want an old 38R now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.