Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

A new lift kit

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  fitterrob 
#1 ·
Hey guy's, I'm looking at getting a 6" lift kit. I've looked and priced several makes and they're all in around $2000-$2500. Any makes I should stay away from or makes you guys prefer? Also, With a 6" lift and 37"x12.5 tires, will I run into tire rub on my front leafs? If so, are wheel spacers recommended and what size? Anyone with experience with this size of lift and tire size on four leafs please let me know what problems you ran into, any little hints to help the install would be appreciated! I will be installing this myself....hopefully. Thanks guys!

#2 ·
I'd go with Icon....made 100% in the USA, best built and best riding system on the market and they have a lifetime warranty.

http://trucktoyzstore.com/realm/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=232&idcategory=110

Or depending on how you use the truck we can do One Up Offroad traction blocks in the rear instead of leaf springs.

As for the rubbing....is there a specific wheel you have in mind?
I would recommend sticking with a 10" wide wheel with 4.5" Back Space.

#5 ·
I'm running a 6.5" Procomp with 37x13.5 on 20x10 rims 4.5" backspacing. The tires rub on the leaf springs a little on full turn. The tires rub the back part of the plastic fender linner when turning and hitting a bump (curb). I also had to trim a bit of the black plastic air dam under my front bumper. Some people shim the bumper forward a bit also. The lower part of your Harley bumper is different than the regular trucks so you might not want to trim it but you can still shim it forward a bit. With 12.5" wide tires you might not hit anything at all.:shrug:

#6 ·
thanks guy's! I'll definitely check out Iroc. The reason why I asked about wheel spacer vs. buying rims, is that I want to keep my Harley rims. They go with the rest of the truck. They don't have the offset of some of the rims made for larger tires, so I was thinking I would have to space them out a little bit. Any thoughts?

#7 ·
Pro comp is a little bit less expensive...but everyone says that ICON is the best for the psd...and as far as rims 17s are cheaper than 18s as rims and tires go...(goen off 4wheelparts.com)..but if you go with a 6" lift...you wont have any regrets runnin 37's..they look a lot better than 35's.

#8 ·
Id stay away from spacers, they put more wear and tare on you front end parts, even the bolt on spacers, just more leverage on the axals imo.

#10 ·
Have you guy's installed your own lifts? How was it? Never done one before, but I'm willing to give it a try!(I've got the hoist, stands, tools, air, floor spaceLOL)Anything you've run into unexpected? Any tips to make it go smooth? They say estimated install time is 6-8 hours, but knowing me, that means a weekend! LOL Or two! LOL

#11 ·
I have done lift installs. The rust is the hardest part to overcome, but with a oxy-acetylene torch it can easily be dealt with. Breaker bar with a cheater extension handle. Having help makes it easier to align and manhandle the heavier pieces. Don't even bother to try and save the u-bolts. Grinder with a zip disc makes easy work, but have a few discs on hand.

Start with the front as there is more going on there and will take the majority of the time.

#13 ·
I should state that I have only installed lifts onto my own truck.
First time was installing the DR hangler/shackle kit with all the stuff in the Box Kit.
Added adjustable tracbar and dual stabs later.
Most recently installed bigger springs front and back and new traction bars.

Alignment is crucial, but adding a lift kit should not alter it. Of course you will need to lengthen the drag link. If you haven't had an alignment done recently, wait until after the lift is installed.

#17 ·
I lift and tire size has nothing to do with the tires rubbing, its the width on the tires and the back spacing of the rims that will cause rubbing.

As mentioned about I think yours will rub using stock wheels that are 8" wide but I dont know the back spacing of stock wheels. Once again as mentioned above, I would drill and tab steering knuckles. I had to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.