Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

engine build.

4K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  PowerstrokeJunkie 
#1 ·
I was just curious on how much $ it would cost to do a bottom end engine build. its a 96 7.3. cause if i have the money im looking to do one this winter hopefully for my pulling truck. TIA:ford:

#4 ·
I bought my.020 pistons from Ebay !They are mahles. 375.00 I bought lower set from oriellys 75.00. I was given a set of felpro head gaskets. I had to buy a flexplate 75.00,oil pump was another 75.00. machine work was 400.00 1 sleeve +.020 bore. I bought a HD 4 wheeled engine stand that was 160.00 off the cornwell truck. I was given a set of heads that were used but under 90k miles . I had another 100.00 in incidentals. oh injectorO rings 75.00. 200.00 for bearings.

________
1535.00 I did it all myself and it took way longer than I thought it would but me an the truck were 400 miles apart. I am forgeting something but this is about what I spent. This was/is just a basic rebuild. I have another block that I will do up for a hot rod motor some day !

#6 ·
I want to do an all out but ........... $$$$$$$$$$$$$ was tight. I wanted to do rods an studs but hell that'll add another 3000. to what I posted up. I was not tryen to dis I just posted what I had in mine. Mine was not done like I wanted but ,it cost alittle to do a "Proper" performance build. I have no intentions of trying to excede 500 hp .

#9 ·
I wanted to do the heads up right but I needed to get it running and up to Ft. Worth. I have a few spare parts laying around I will get a set of heads done up the way I want an swap them out.

#12 ·
I paid around 1200 for all the bearings, seals, valve stuff other than the springs, and gaskets. Shop bill was 4700 to port, polish heads, magnaflux block, line hone crank, balance rotating assembly. Installed everything on the bottom side internally, and put the valves in the heads.

On edit; that 4700 also included some work to the crank and resufacing the flywheel.

#13 ·
I just got all the stuff to put my longblock together
Rebuild kit from INTL with .020 Mahles, all bearings,HG and so on was 1500
Bottem end machining was 565
Head machine work was 600
Studs and valve springs were another 750-800
Thats with stock rods....

#15 ·
#18 ·
What are your goals? What does the motor have to do? Do you think you need billet rods? Is it a 400HP motor? 500hp? 600hp? What kind of RPMs are you expecting? Things like custom cut and coated pistons, billet rods, fancy girdles, block filler, etc, all can add up - and not be necessary for certain levels of power.

#26 ·
if big hp is your goal
fill it, girdle, stud it, mill it for firerings .

then add billet rods , coated pistons, hi stregth pushrods ,di cam. melling lpop, and an ati balancer
lil head work, high temp valves, comp springs, and di exhuast manifolds.

add your turbo , g3, and injectors l then some live tunning, and you will be running with the big dogs of the 7.3 world.
(a fair amount you already have)

#31 ·
I would say between Swamps and DI you can have one hell of a motor. I hope I have the money to do the front cover from Swamps with 6.4 pumpsand compounds

#33 ·
Just imagine how much fuel that is. CR 6.4 pump/s and compounds!!! It would be so tunable to no more problems with fuel delivery. I cant wait to see this and hopefully do it myself. Maybe a procharger and a turbo with those pumps. Something nobody has!!! :ford:

#35 ·
Once I get out of the damn military and go back to my old job I will be saving for this for sure. I cant wait to see all of the stuff they have out now for the 7.3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.