Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How good is the 4R100?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Country 
#1 ·
I am doing some upgrades on my daily driver and was wondering how well the trans can take it. I also occasionally drag race with it. Is the stock trans built well enough that I can continue to drag with it, or do I need to start looking into getting it beefed up? If it needs beefed up what does everyone suggest?

#2 ·
If you are gonna race it I recommend a converter upgrade and BTS valve body at a minimum

#4 ·
There are a few decent converters out there but none are cheap I paid right at a grand for mine and it was used,but I knew where an who it came from so no big. I have a precision . I used an input from a 5r110. there are a bunch of folks that offer shafts but some are bogus. Might get ahold of Dave at DI or Racer X they can hook you up with trans parts.

#5 ·
Precision Industries for the converter. as for the shafts are you just sticking with the basics or you gonna build the engine as well?

#6 ·
My cousin talks a lot about suncoast. i cant find anything about upgrades that they have. all the info i can find on them is about stock stuff.

#7 ·
Suncoast is good stuff as well

#8 ·
right now im just doing the basic bolt on stuff. 38R,regulated return and airdog 100. eventually i will be doing injectors. i dont have the money or time to do them right now. gotta take baby steps.

#10 ·
I know it needs to be done soon. im not looking to race it every weekend. i just wanna know what i can do to make it no blow up when i do take it to race considering its my daily driver.

#12 ·
plan on doing the trans.... how many miles are one it??? even if you do a converter and VB it still is a trans that is used and is wore out. if you put the TC and VB in a NEW trans then yes it would help.... putting it in a used wore out one is just beating a dead horse.... save the money you would use to buy and TC and VB and get a built one.... no point in takeing a half step when the full step WILL be needed

#14 ·
If my stock TC crapped out, I would get a stock replacement because I never liked having a used stock trans mated to an expensive TC. When the trans breaks, you have to send the TC out to be cut apart, cleaned, welded back together and balanced. $$$$. If I wanted to spend the money, I'd get a good trans and a good TC at the same time. I went with the full BTS when my diode broke. Thankfully, I didn't invest in a good TC like I wanted to.

#15 ·
Where exactly in Ca are you located. I can give you some info of a guy in SunValley Ca, N.LosAngeles,that built my trans for me. I went above and beyond the normal trans build w/billet shafts thru out, but you need to talk to him. Let him know what your inteded usage of the truck is and he'll give a price to build it.. His name is Jimmy Galant (RaceTrans.com), tell him Carlos Briceno told yah to call'm. Great Guy too.

#17 ·
I am in San Diego. Im keeping my options open right now. I am pretty sure that Im just gonna go ahead and get a new upgraded trans and just save the time and money that i would be spending down the road. Just gotta find what i want.

#16 ·
Do yourself a favor, put in for some vacation time at work make a call to BTS and head to Arkansas. New tranny, new 13" triple disc PI converter. Kinda expensive but the service is great. They will answer every question you can ask them about any thing you can think of on these trucks, and with a smile. Every body treats you like they have known you for years. The warranty is lifetime I believe. $4300.

#18 ·
Another guy that builds them and has a great Reputation is Jonh Wood. He's down south in your area, and is argueably the best. He also builds and ships as well as Jimmmy G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.