Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Twin HPOP leak help needed!!!!!

10K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Layson 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!!!

Im running a stealth DIY HPOP setup. Last week I noticed a LARGE oil leak, the valley was full of oil.. I pulled the truck into my garage and let it be for a week...

Today I went out and had a good look and noticed that there was some oil around the return fitting and that the worm gear clamp was a touch loose. Thinking I got lucky I cleaned the fittings and tightened the clamps, but no luck...

So my next step was to brake clean the pumps, clean all the oil from out of the valley and drive it... I Got home from a few quick trips around the block and the valley was full again and oil was leakinf from between the engine and tranny... I pulled the intake X pipe and took my light and a mirrior and cant see where my leak is coming from exactly....

I borrowd these pics in hope that you guys can help me... please note these are not my pics!!!

This was a great pic I found! In this pic I can see 5 of 6 ports on my pumps.... what I cant see if the far back one on the front pump as there is the joining plate in the way... the 5 I can see look dry and no oil seems to be near them...

Here is a pic of the setup beside the new single.. as you can see here, the rear port on the front pump is hidden.....

From what I can see is all the plugs look dry??? Please help me!!!! I am stuck without my truck....

Suspect that maybe the rear plug seal on the front pump died??? Should I pull the pumps out and change all the seals and the 2 gaskets???? Please help!!

All the best!
Bob

See less See more
#3 ·
The best way is to keep cleaning off the pumps and keep investigating. Leave the X pipe off of there and have someone else start the truck. You watch where the leak comes from. Stuff some paper towels under the pumps all the way up to the front part of the pump... then start it up... let it run for a little bit and then shut it off and slowly pull out the paper towels and hopefully you can see the spot where the oil is coming from.

#4 ·
OK... I will go try that now... thanks!!! I find that it can sit and idle, even rev up and not leak though.... it seems to need to be driven to leak?? does that make any sence???

#6 ·
That second picture was taken when I swapped my dual out for the single.

The leak I had from my dual setup was from that stinking red colored hose. It got brittle and hard and stopped sealing. No matter how hard I tried to clamp it down...I could take my finger and spin that damn thing around like a top. You may need to check some hoses.

#7 ·
Yep.. I was worried that hose was leaking, so today I changed that hose, and re sealed the fittings on each end... I was almost sure that was going to be it....

Well, I went out, cleaned it, ran it at idle, then 1500, then 2000... no leak... So, Ive had enough... I pulled the pumps out...

The one thing I did find was the front seal on the front pump had walked out a bit.... I thought I had that seal in good... guess not...

But there is no way that could leak into the valley???

Other than the obvious... now that its out to I send it out to be tested for leaks on the bench????

#10 ·
Patience!!! You really want to figure out where it is leaking from. Otherwise it can be impossible to figure it out. It can be something real simple... I don't know if they can pressure test it to figure out which line will leak??? When I had an oil leak, and I pulled out the pumps, I was told to stick them back in there and find that leak... otherwise you could be pulling them again.

It will leak if that front seal is bad. the front pump gets oil from through that seal. Just make sure the threads are not screwed up in the front cover for the pump.

#9 ·
It was wet under the pumps... It was leaking out real good... I cleaned off around the turbo too and when I got back from my drive it was clean all around there....

#12 ·
Most likly the edge filter plug on the front pump. Since you have the pumps out pull the plugs on both pumps and look at the orings, it will be obvious where its leaking if its there. Be careful not to lose the check ball or it will not build pressure when you reinstall. I have seen a lot of pumps blow the oring there and alot of the pull the thread out too so what out for that.

#13 ·
Hey Bean... Thanks so much for the reply!!! Which seal is the " edge filter plug ".. I guess Im not up on my HPOP terminology :poke:

#15 ·
Hey Bob, the bolt Bean is referring to is the 1/2" one on the drivers side bottom of the pump. Check both pumps. If it's leaking, you will see part of the O ring hanging out.

Also, while it's apart, check the 11/16" nut on both pumps as well. It's directly in line with the high pressure oil ports. The front pump will be in the billet block, and it maybe an allen plug for clearance in the block. Those require #6 O ring's, same as the HPOP quick disconnect fittings.

Also, I can repair any stripped fittings, if it goes that direction.

Good luck!

#16 ·
Thanks Joey and Bean.. Its so nice to have AWESOME sponsers willing to help!!! You guys are great!

I will strip them all down and see how the O rings look... I hope that the threads dont come with the plugs....

#17 ·
I want to also replace the front seal on my HPOP... does anybody know the number of the seal??

#18 ·
Found that the front seal was very far out and almost fell out ...

I ordered all my #4 and #6 O rings, my front pump seal, and 2 new gaskets....

Hope to have an oil leaking free truck by the weekend!!

#22 ·
I guess I REALLY wanted to be part of that club....

On the plus side I now have all the $$$ together and am on the lookout for a crew cab 7.3L.... Found a nice looking black 2002 CCSB locally....

#25 ·
Yep... Plan on swapping my engine and tranny over to a new larger platform...

We pulled my engine out on a friday night... Pulled the heads and pan and swapped the forged rods in and re installed the pan to allow it to dry over night... Saturday morning we cleaned the heads and block, installed the heads and studs and re-assembled the engine.. Saturday afternoon we put the engine back in and drove the truck out for dinner that night....

Not too worried about PMRs.....

#26 ·
Found it!!!

The rear plug on the front pump, the one that gets replaced by the small allen head bolt, had a blown O ring..

I pulled all the plugs out, and to my suprise all the Orings that came in the DIY kit were hard and very poor looking... I chose to replace all the O rings anyhow... but just as a caution, for those running the DIY kit...My Orings looked poor...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.