Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

GTA4294BS Turbo questions

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  MILFORD 
#1 ·
What info can anybody tell me about this turbo

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thanks grumpy LOL. My buddy just got one of these off a C-12 CAT and didnt pay for it. It needs a rebuild but should be cheaper then buying a new one.

#6 ·
Thats what I thought when I looked at it. Talk about a huge turbo this thing is big but the exhaust wheel is small. On the C-12 Cats cranked up to 425hp on the 7-tons the Marine corp uses this thing has some lag to it. Even staright piped the things still laggy. My buddy is looking into making a compound setup on his mech. 5.9 hes droping into his old f-350. What do you think about using this as the big turbo and what would be a good one to use as the small turbo?

#7 ·
A smaller housing will make a big difference in lag. Its really not that big of charger with a 68mm inducer and 74mm exhaust wheel. To put it into comparison a modded h2e is generaly a 66mm inducer.

#8 ·
I just mean the exhaust housing is pretty darn big, bigger then any H2e I have ever seen. What do you think about using it in a compound setup?

#9 ·
Yes the 1.44 housing is going to be a bit large but Im sure you could probably get a smaller one, maybe even with a t4 flange. It would probably be ok as the high pressure charger.

#10 ·
Would it be a better idea to change out the housing to a smaller T4 flanged one that way it would mount onto the cummmins manifold?

#11 ·
You looking to put this on a cummins or powerstroke? If its a cummins then depending on what you want it may be a bit large to be driven on the street in a compound setup, but then again Ive never messed with a cummins that much.

#12 ·
Lookin to put it on a Cummins. I am in the same spot as you I dont know much about them either.

#13 ·
I'd think it'd make a very responsive primary and a very laggy secondary. unless he tows alot, i'd think a bigger primary would be in order. I base these estimates on the displacement and the compressor inducer.

#14 ·
Well is it going to be a street driven truck or used for only competition? If its going to see street time I would have to say it may be a bit big for the secondary charger. Others that have messed with a cummins might know a little more, thats just my oppinion.

#15 ·
Nope street only. Keep in mind that it is getting a 13 double over in it. Thats a 13 speed tranny out of an old 198? KW. Towing some yes. Not in it for the speed just for the reliability and having the ability to tow without EGT problems.

#16 ·
depends on his goals IMO. for street, that's too big for a Secondary. if he's not looking for huge hp, that may do well as a primary for him. if he's looking for 600-700+, i'd expect it to start becoming restrictive.
again, this is completely based on displacement Vs inducer.

#18 ·
Nothing in the 6-700hp range lower then that much. I would say 4-500 HP max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.