Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Road Block Tonight

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  cntryboy17 
#1 ·
Got caught in a road block tonight for "safety" checks. The cops were doing the road block right next to a small shopping center in town, and as I look into the parking lot, I see about 5 roll backs sitting in there along with a few tents set up for what looks like breathalizer tests. I'm not worried about that too much since I don't drink and drive, nor do I drink then drive. The wreckers get me worried about a potential visual exhaust inspection, since metro Atlanta is getting strict on emissions laws. Not only am I running a smokey tune, I also have a stack on the truck (which doesnt stand out at all :doh: ), and there is absolutely no filter on my exhaust. Of course I can't and won't blow any smoke sitting there waiting in a long line of cars, nor would I even allow a little haze to come out lol. I get to one of the officer's, I hand him my information, he checks my tag, and everything is all good. He is a nice guy and everything, real talkative. Then he asks me the question I didn't need to hear. He says, "just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of that exhaust stack you have in the bed of your truck?" I about $hit myself, since my exhaust was even brought up, BUT I calmly said, "It's just for looks man." He said, "cool then, I have seen a few other trucks with them and was just curious. Have a safe night." You talking about RELIEF!!!! LOL

Just thought you guys would get a kick out of this, and I hope no one else gets the kind of scare that I did tonight!

See less See more
#3 ·
I used to go to college in a city where the street racing was so bad that they had road blocks for car inspections! They would ticket any car for anything they could. You would have been screwed there!

#4 ·
I was driving BigDaddy4x's 08 a few months back, and got pulled over by a Texas State Trooper for "equipment violation". He wrote me a ticket for no muffler and no front plate, and a warning for a non working emissions system. I tried to tell him you dont have to have a muffler in tx, as a turbine wheel is considered a muffler. but he didnt go for it. His rebuttal word for word was "I went up to the dealership, and these things have 3 or 4 of them under there! i know theyre not supposed to smoke either"

Im going in 3 weeks for a trial, since technically he was wrong about the muffler ticket. I plan on taking in a turbo charger as well as a copy of the law book, which i already showed the District Attorney. The only thing im worried about is getting off this time, since ill have evidence to support myself, but instead really pissing off the Highway Patrol around here and them stopping every 08+ truck and going to the trouble to learn what a dpf is.

#14 ·
That's why I advocate something under the truck that resembles a muffer. I had a run in with the state about a catalytic converter on a 2000 and we got into the muffler thing. He said the only way that a turbo is considered a muffling device is if it says so on the exhaust housing like some big trucks.

What you should do if you have time is make a dummy turbo up with no exhaust vanes and run the truck and then put the good turbo on and do a video noting the exhaust volume differences.

Or you can just take the "muffler" from a stock 6.4 and do a cutaway and show them that it is just on there for looks and has no function.... that should suprise them.

Good luck in court.

#5 ·
I'm hoping out of all the issues we have in Atlanta, stacks aren't high on their list of things to bother you about! That would suck.

#6 ·
Got caught in a road block tonight for "safety" checks. The cops were doing the road block right next to a small shopping center in town, and as I look into the parking lot, I see about 5 roll backs sitting in there along with a few tents set up for what looks like breathalizer tests. I'm not worried about that too much since I don't drink and drive, nor do I drink then drive. The wreckers get me worried about a potential visual exhaust inspection, since metro Atlanta is getting strict on emissions laws. Not only am I running a smokey tune, I also have a stack on the truck (which doesnt stand out at all :doh: ), and there is absolutely no filter on my exhaust. Of course I can't and won't blow any smoke sitting there waiting in a long line of cars, nor would I even allow a little haze to come out lol. I get to one of the officer's, I hand him my information, he checks my tag, and everything is all good. He is a nice guy and everything, real talkative. Then he asks me the question I didn't need to hear. He says, "just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of that exhaust stack you have in the bed of your truck?" I about myself, since my exhaust was even brought up, BUT I calmly said, "It's just for looks man." He said, "cool then, I have seen a few other trucks with them and was just curious. Have a safe night." You talking about RELIEF!!!! LOL

Just thought you guys would get a kick out of this, and I hope no one else gets the kind of scare that I did tonight!
Good thing the cop didn't seem to educated in DBF filters and modifications with them. I thought out here in CA was the only place the air pollution police roam. Had an experience like that once in my big, lifted, highly mod. 95 chev. 4x4. Pulled me over to ask if I had been hassled by the CHP for tire width and wanted to no more info on how I built it since he has checked it out in a parking lot once! Scared the crap out of me, was 2am on a Sat. night and I couldn't figure out what I did wrong to be pulled over. lol :blah:

#7 ·
Here in nebraska if a cop pulls you over and u got a sweet truck he'll probably ask you all about it! I'm runnin straight turbo back with nothin and cops haven't said nothin when im sittin next to em at a light and u can just hear the whistle from my turbo spool up lol

#8 ·
"It's just for looks man." LOL ROTFLMAO! I would've told him, "Im w/ Homeland security, and its actually a portable, high speed, mortar tube at the ready to defend against any and all terrorists' threats Sir". Then he would've said, "pull over right there smartass"

#10 ·
That is funny. Cops just give me the thumbs up when they see me. Of course I try to keep the smokey ness to a min when they are around.

#11 ·
One pulled my dad over one day, not on a powerstroke, (everyone around knows my dad, he is an appliance repair man, very good at what he does) and my dad was freaking out, the officer walked up and wanted a part for his dishwasher. I liked to died laughing.

#15 ·
one reason i like matts 6.4 tues, no smoke and i'm still running my stock muffler minus the DPF! i never get any trouble from cops around st.louis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.