Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Used DP Tuner worth it?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  azbroncbuster 
#1 ·
I am currently torn between dropping the full amount on a new tuner with a set of tunes or picking up a used 6 pos DP and having it retuned to my truck. The DP is currently tuned for a stock 99 (PCM code? Auto?)and my slightly modified (DP, CAI, 1.00 A/R) 97 Auto with TDE1 PCM would require a reburn at 25 bucks a piece. 4 tunes adds up to 100 bucks plus return shipping. On top of this is the price to buy the thing in the first place.

Conversely I could call PHP and for 300 and small change have a new one at my doorstep.

Decisions, Decisions.

Aaron

#2 ·
It all comes down to whether or not you want a digital electronic switch that allows you to skip programs on your journey through program land instead of clicking on each one along the way.
Look at it this way....it's not like a chip "wears out" over time. There's no reason to turn down a used F5.

#4 ·
Make sure that the DP chip is an F5 or F6. If it is the older TS style chip (rotary switch knob) DP won't reprogram it.

However, if it is the TS Style chip then there are several vendors on here that would be able to take care of it for you including Gearhead, TW, DI, and us (PHP).

Like Cleatus said, generally no reason to pass up a good deal on a used chip.

Take care.

#5 ·
i got a DP F5 for my truck a few months ago and LOVE it. i had really high expectations for it and it fulfilled them all. when people say their truck is an entire new truck they arent joking as my truck was a new beast with the chip as well. way more power, different shift points, the whole nice yards. all fot the better though. the ONLY thing im kinda off on is in my DD setting on the chip, it wont shift into OD until it am at least at 45 mph. not that big of a deal though because if it bothers me too much it can always be reburnt and that shift point lowered jsut a tad, but all in all, the DP is awesome. I havent heard of anyone that has gotten a DP and switched to something else. if you can get the DP for cheap enough to make the price lower than buying a new one when retunes are factored in, i say do it. if not, wait and get a brand new DP. either way, id get a DP..... nothin beats shifing on the fly and the anti theft. plus the tranny tunes are built in, so it actually has the best shifts you can get IMHO

#7 ·
The guy wanted $250 for the chip. It turned out to be an older TS chip.

I intend to go with a PHP chip as it would only be a little more. I keep working overtime and doubletime shifts, but have yet to free the necessary funds... It'll happen. Late August or early Sept is what I am shooting for.

I just want the darn tranny to shift right. Full throttle upshifts at less than 2000 rpm just plain suck on a truck with 3.55's.

Aaron

#8 ·
whats a PHP chip?

DP you can always reburn until you get everythign just the way you like it...

#9 ·
PHP stands for Power Hungry Performance. I am interested in their Phoenix programmer. 4 programs with 2 free (stock and no start) should fill a chip nicely for about $325 bucks shipped. I am looking at Daily Driver 65 HP, Moderate Tow 65 HP, Heavy Tow 40HP, Fuel Sipper 65HP, and the Stock and No Start Settings.

Wonder if they'll give me the $40 off sale as it is just above the 300 min order if ordered by Aug 31...

Aaron

#10 ·
Hey, $309 is above the $300 cutoff... of course you'll get the discount! :D Just wanted to make sure you know that our fuel-sipper tune is really written for around town driving. Feel free to give us a shout tomorrow after 12 noon if you have any questions!

#11 ·
Payday is on the 21st with a doubletime to cover it. Got the greenlight from the SWMBO. Just gotta wait til I get the green in hand.

Groovy Chic, wht do you think of my tunes mix? Gonna dump the 10K when the chip arrives.

Aaron

#12 ·
Aaron, your tune choice is totally dependent on your needs. If you'd like to give us a shout tomorrow (or we can give you a call if you'll PM me your number), we'll be happy to chat about it and make sure that you're getting exactly what you need to make you smile. :D

#13 ·
not saying PHP isnt a good deal, but i havent heard ANYTHING bad about DP Tuners. they cost a bit more, but are definately worth it in the long run...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.