Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Attempt at replacing or repairing e-brake on my dually.

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  zpilgeram 
#1 ·
First off you can push the ebrake to the floor and the truck will still roll. I don't know if its shot or just needs a major adjustment. How involved is this procedure? I heard just getting to everything requires taking out the axles is this true? I am very mechanically inclined but I've never done brakes on a dually before and I've never liked messing with anything that resembles drum brakes.

#2 ·
Should be disc in the rear . If so its cake. Cables stretch on these things might check the cable coming from the foot part. Or the mine shoes inside the rotor might be worn out seen that too.

#4 ·
you can adjust the ebrake just like adjusting the old drum brakes. Take out the rubber plug and turn the adjuster

#5 ·
This is a pretty simple job. I have done this a couple of times. The ford is a Disc / drum combo. The drum is the E-brake portion. You do have to pull the axle to get to the drum. You need a special socket to remove the nut holding the wheel bearings in. It is reall straitforward job. There is a seal that should be repalced when you remove the brakes back behind the wheel bearing . It will differ in size from the rear end you have. When my dad got his f350 his ebrake cable came of the track, also besides the fact his breaks were messed up. If you have all the parts there and air tools its probably less than a 2 hour job. Probably less than that but I always get side tracked when I work on anything. Buy a manual for yor truck.

#6 ·
If you don't want to go to all that hassle just install a line lock in your truck and do away with all your ebrake stuff, that never works for long anyways. Thats what I do to my trucks. They are very reliable.

#8 ·
I got mine off of ebay for like fifty bucks. If you get one just be sure you get a good one. Like a summit racing or something similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.